SOS! Already feeling discouraged. Advice for next application cycle?

speechtopsych

On 1/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, emdreaming said:

I think if you like your current position, it could be. But I would really suggest trying to get feedback from any rejections as you may be surprised at the level of detail and usefulness. BU has an incredible anxiety lab- so that may be a great place to look. I know less about Boston's resources on aging/dementia- but I do know between BU and Children's, you should be able to get a great position with their research teams based on your experience and track record. 

Ok, so, I just found a nearby Clin Psych MA program at a nearby school that's A) super cheap and B ) offers lots of types of funding for graduate students. It's DEFINITELY not a well known or highly ranked program, and it's unclear to me if they actually allow people to do theses. It's geared toward helping people get their LMHC. BUT it might be a good way to tap in to the field, determine a more specific research focus,  and show my prolonged interest. Do you think this would be potentially better than working in one of the fancy labs here in boston?

General question for anyone still checking out this form to help pass the time :)

34 minutes ago, speechtopsych said:

Ok, so, I just found a nearby Clin Psych MA program at a nearby school that's A) super cheap and B ) offers lots of types of funding for graduate students. It's DEFINITELY not a well known or highly ranked program, and it's unclear to me if they actually allow people to do theses. It's geared toward helping people get their LMHC. BUT it might be a good way to tap in to the field, determine a more specific research focus,  and show my prolonged interest. Do you think this would be potentially better than working in one of the fancy labs here in boston?

General question for anyone still checking out this form to help pass the time :)

I think this could be a really cool option if two things are present- #1 a mentor who is well suited to your future research interests, and #2 a focus on research. Programs will MUCH more heavily consider your research experience over any clinical experience in the application process. A full Masters thesis won't be necessary as long as you get some good research experience and build demonstrable skills towards your future PIs areas of interest. I would say obtaining a Masters that is mostly clinically focused would not be as helpful as working in a research lab as an RA for a year or two though. 

Edited by penguinqueen

4 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I believe it is very possible especially for Universities with a large faculty or research centers whose work are similar to your interest. I had about 4 in one University. What I did was to rank them and select no more than 3. It's incredibly expensive applying to graduate schools and I understand people trying to max out the opportunity. I deliberately chose to apply to schools where I had more than 1 POI to keep my costs down as much as possible. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree and stand by that if you have a well-developed research interest, it's highly unlikely you'd really fit with more than three faculty at a single university, but to each their own! 

2 hours ago, speechtopsych said:

Honestly, I’d go with the lab. You’ll make money, you don’t need the masters to get accepted into a phd program, and you will determine a more specific research focus through your work. But that’s just my opinion! You should go with whatever you feel is the best fit for you