Staying busy until grad school starts

bimblebee

I am currently waiting on decisions, but I expect to get at least one admission. I just finished undergrad in December and would be starting grad school next Fall which leaves about 8 months of time. I am actually feeling very lost and depressed and want to stay busy. I am unemployed and living with parents. Can you guys suggest any ways to fill this time gap (i.e. continuing research with undergrad lab, finding part time job, traveling, etc.)

I am currently in the same boat as you...but my situation may be a bit different because I completed my undergrad/master's research, and now I am waiting to start a PhD program at a different institution. If you are continuing your research at the graduate level with the same lab from undergrad, then I'd advise to focus on that during this "lame duck" phase: not sure what your area of research is, but having a large sample size for data analysis and working out the kinks in the lab/experimental design will save you a LOT of stress down the road. Maintain your sanity by visiting friends on weekends, traveling [if you can], reading non-science books (highly recommend "The Way of the Wolf"), and getting into a gym routine. You could also make some money by becoming a private tutor. This time period really does suck, but it's all about making these next few months less difficult and doing whatever you can to get out of the house.

6 hours ago, Heisenbergg said:

I am currently in the same boat as you...but my situation may be a bit different because I completed my undergrad/master's research, and now I am waiting to start a PhD program at a different institution. If you are continuing your research at the graduate level with the same lab from undergrad, then I'd advise to focus on that during this "lame duck" phase: not sure what your area of research is, but having a large sample size for data analysis and working out the kinks in the lab/experimental design will save you a LOT of stress down the road. Maintain your sanity by visiting friends on weekends, traveling [if you can], reading non-science books (highly recommend "The Way of the Wolf"), and getting into a gym routine. You could also make some money by becoming a private tutor. This time period really does suck, but it's all about making these next few months less difficult and doing whatever you can to get out of the house.

Thanks for the advice! I actually will be exploring private tutoring to make some cash and stay busy. I also wish you the best during this time as well. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, Baarbod said:

I am currently waiting on decisions, but I expect to get at least one admission. I just finished undergrad in December and would be starting grad school next Fall which leaves about 8 months of time. I am actually feeling very lost and depressed and want to stay busy. I am unemployed and living with parents. Can you guys suggest any ways to fill this time gap (i.e. continuing research with undergrad lab, finding part time job, traveling, etc.)

Definitely travel! Try something new by stepping out of your comfort zone. The summer from undergraduate to graduate school, I dared myself to enroll in a pole dancing class (Groupon) and challenged myself to go to the gym 5 days a week for 8 weeks straight. I even joined a book club and learned how to paint! The wait may seem long, but it may fly by faster than you think! Try to enjoy it while it lasts

Arguably the single most important post in the history of Grad Cafe is on a closely related topic. That post can be used to develop a blue print for the coming months and years.