Calling all French PHD 2020 Applicants ...

MonsieurHonoré

@MonsieurHonoré

Sounds like a tough decision indeed !
The good thing is you still have about 2 months to make a decision. Are you planning on visiting both universities ? I'm sure that'll help you decide where you see yourself spending the next 5 years  !
I know that where I live has a huge impact on how well I feel, so that's why I think I'll go to Cornell. If there are conferences I really want to go to I'll just make the trip, and since some are recorded I might not even have to ! I'd rather have the opportunity to be in nature really easily than have to drive 2 hours to do so.

Edited by Akela

1 hour ago, Teddy Kellogg said:

@MonsieurHonoré I am right there with on coming from a rural background / having very conservative family. Perhaps we three will end up at Cornell? Il faut reprendre contact avec la nature ! 

Oui! il le faut et oui ça me manque énormément 

Honestly, I must have missed something but why are you all praising Cornell so much?

Got accepted by Boston University too and again withOUT an interview..... suspicious... or not? no info from NYU....

@LabichedeRenaissance omg same here! I mean I have already been working, maybe not entirely satisfied with it but i am just wondering if the phd is worth the time and effort if it ends up to a no employment prospects in FIVE years?!

4 hours ago, Marcin said:

Honestly, I must have missed something but why are you all praising Cornell so much?

Got accepted by Boston University too and again withOUT an interview..... suspicious... or not? no info from NYU....

@LabichedeRenaissance omg same here! I mean I have already been working, maybe not entirely satisfied with it but i am just wondering if the phd is worth the time and effort if it ends up to a no employment prospects in FIVE years?!

@Marcin 

Congrats on the acceptance to Boston!! 

Cornell has had an excellent placement record in the last several years, encourages its students to approach literary questions in novel ways (particularly through combining scientific subjects with the humanities), has an outstanding faculty with an exceptional school of criticism, offers the opportunity to serve on the editorial board of a journal that very famous theorists, including Judith Butler, have published in, and is very generous financially to its students. 

If you have a problem with it, or don’t like their program, then just don’t apply or go there, but the rest of us are all very honored and grateful to have been accepted for our own reasons. 

Edited by MonsieurHonoré

@Marcin Hey Marcin, what an irony! I got accepted into BU as well. I wouldn't worry too much about if it's suspicious. They don't interview candidates in general. Some programs do, others don't so I wouldn't worry. Congrats!

Also, I do know where you're coming from. I come from a family of professors but they are specialized in politics, biology, law, finance, and international relations. They have all ended up at fabulous places with tenure-track positions and some even higher (in government positions). Looking at them, I wouldn't worry but I do since this is a French PhD, not a Politics PhD. I'm paranoid that I might lose financial stability by following my passion. At the same time, like you, I don't like the job I'm in. I think it's a matter of tossing up which matters more to us: taking a risk or sticking to what we have. I'm confident we'll find our way either way! 

When I say this, I don't mean to put down fellow French PhD candidates. We come from very different backgrounds. However, a little compassion will go a long way. After all, what is the point of becoming a professor if you can't compassionately connect to students.  

4 hours ago, claracgentes said:

No info from NYU yet either. I thought they were supposed to issue answers this week...

Hi! I've been told the admissions committee at NYU would meet tomorrow, so we will probably hear back from them tomorrow afternoon or at the beginning of next week.

@xinyu_uynix Cool! I’d personally love to work with Dr. Usher. I’m fascinated by his research, and really enjoyed speaking with him today. My interview ended up being a slightly rushed due to technical difficulties, but all ended up well. They didn’t say anything about the friday thing, but I’m assuming that they just forgot. 

1 hour ago, xinyu_uynix said:

Yeah, they told me quite specifically at the end that they'd send out letters on Friday. I am curious to hear which aspects of NYU and which POIs appealed to you all, just in case our interests overlap?

Thanks for the details! Do you know if this applies to IFS as well?

@Marcin Responded! The stipend isn't much in terms of Boston but should make things easier somewhat. You'll probably have to dip into your savings, find another source of funding (maybe your employer?) or work another job (could be difficult as an intnl student under F-1 visa restrictions). Congrats though!!! You should be proud. BU only gives out about 3-4 acceptances.