Are host gifts a good idea?

Musicalowl

I am attending an interview that has a social hour day 1 and the interview day 2. One of the students currently in the program will be hosting me at their apartment.

I have always been taught to bring a gift to any host, but I am afraid of sending the wrong message. I do not want to appear to be sucking up or trying to win points, only to say that I appreciate them hosting me. Is it appropriate to bring a small gift/token?

When I was interviewing, I wrote brief hand-written thank you cards for the host. I usually kept it brief (5 sentences max) and said something I appreciated about my visit. 

Anything beyond a card is not necessary. At the VERY most I would do something of value less than $5. But, again, it's not necessary. The two years I've hosted applicants I have not gotten anything (including a card), but I don't really expect anything either. 

3 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

When I was interviewing, I wrote brief hand-written thank you cards for the host. I usually kept it brief (5 sentences max) and said something I appreciated about my visit. 

Anything beyond a card is not necessary. At the VERY most I would do something of value less than $5. But, again, it's not necessary. The two years I've hosted applicants I have not gotten anything (including a card), but I don't really expect anything either. 

Thank you for this advice!