Civil&Environmental Engineering Fall 2020 Applicants

McHales

On 3/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, bn8144 said:

I was planning to attend the Visit Day as well, but cancelled my flight when I saw the email. But if you are already there, have a good time, hope other students are there as well. 

Also would you know if there is a Facebook group or something for accepted students? I was looking forward to meet everyone in person but if not, hoping there is some other way for all of us to communicate. 

Hey I was also accepted (MS in Structural engineering) but wasn't planning to attend. I was also accepted into Berkeley but they've already said that they are going to cancel their visit day and are going to replace it with a virtual visit day somehow. Do you think that Stanford is going to do something similar since they also cancelled?

Anyway, if you want to chat regarding the program send me an email to gonzalo.aguilar.18@gmail.com

Stanford had a virtual visit day (that was recorded). Professor Billington led the Structures break-out session (she forgot to select the record button).

It was mentioned that Stanford funding decisions might happen this week (I don't have high expectations).

I was also accepted to Cal (no funding) - if they hold a virtual visit day, I'll attend.

Stanford Cal | UCLA

Applied (3) | Accepted (2) | Interview (0) | Waitlisted (0) | Rejected (0)

Edited by hcvdg
format

Hey guys. Got accepted to Stanford MS in Feb. and wondering if there are any chances for MS applicants to get Financial Aid?

Heard that the Funding decisions come out in March ,  anyone(MS applicants) got funding ?

Thx.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, SolidMech7 said:

No, I didn't have an interview. Did you? My field is computational mechanics (solids). What is your field?

Yes I had an interview on Mar 1. Got my admit 2 days ago. I am also working on computational mechanics (materials)

Yay, accepted UCLA Masters (no word on funding): three for three.

No word yet from Stanford on funding.

Stanford Cal | UCLA

Applied (3) | Accepted (3) | Interview (0) | Waitlisted (0) | Rejected (0)

9 hours ago, hcvdg said:

Yay, accepted UCLA Masters (no word on funding): three for three.

No word yet from Stanford on funding.

Stanford Cal | UCLA

Applied (3) | Accepted (3) | Interview (0) | Waitlisted (0) | Rejected (0)

Since you got accepted to all of the universities you applied to (congratulations by the way) which one are you going to choose and why will you do it?

On 3/18/2020 at 3:26 PM, elreydescocia said:

Since you got accepted to all of the universities you applied to (congratulations by the way) which one are you going to choose and why will you do it?

Thanks, I was a bit concerned that my GRE scores would be too low for Cal, or Stanford.

At this point, I plan to pick Stanford.

I like: that the quarter system will allow for more classes (at Cal the program in eight classes, at Stanford I'll take 12 - 15 classes), and I like that Stanford doesn't require a comp exam. At Stanford, I will also have the chance to transition to a PhD (if the mood strikes me).

All three are great options, Cal offered no funding, UCLA (no word on funding), if I get any funding from Stanford it will be gravy.

When planing my options I picked UCLA over UCSD due to location (course content at UCSD might have been a better fit).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 1:20 PM, bn8144 said:

Anyone accepted to Stanford MS and got funding? Also anyone deciding between UC Berkeley and Stanford? If you are, which school are you leaning towards and why?

No Structures MS funding for me: Stanford, Cal, or UCLA

Attending Stanford over Cal: ~ 12 quarter classes vs 8 semester classes (more variety); no comprehensive; location; option to transition to PhD

• 10 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, yinxisang said:

Hi there, master student @ Stanford CEE, currently applying to PhD at Princeton, PennState, WUSTL, Yale and CMU. Got interviewed from Princeton last week, from PennState this week. Also got a phd invitation from my advisor at Stanford. Happy to answer any MS application questions or questions about transferring to PhD track from MS track at Stanford CEE.

Sorry for digging out a reply a year ago... I am applying to Stanford CEE with final degree goal of a PhD as an undergraduate. I got an interview on 15th from one professor and was told to expect an MS offer (probably without funding). Do you know when will they send out official offer? How difficult would you say for a MS student to join a research group and transfer to a PhD program during the terms of study?

Many thanks!

On 4/12/2020 at 1:20 AM, bn8144 said:

Anyone accepted to Stanford MS and got funding? Also anyone deciding between UC Berkeley and Stanford? If you are, which school are you leaning towards and why?

What was your final decision? Stanford / Berkeley? Also, may I know your specific stream under civil engineering? Thank you!

2 hours ago, ZXXsis said:

Sorry for digging out a reply a year ago... I am applying to Stanford CEE with final degree goal of a PhD as an undergraduate. I got an interview on 15th from one professor and was told to expect an MS offer (probably without funding). Do you know when will they send out official offer? How difficult would you say for a MS student to join a research group and transfer to a PhD program during the terms of study?

Many thanks!

Normally they have sent out MS offer by now but this year is very different... I can't say for sure when but I don't think it will be too long before they sent out. Regarding the second question, it really depends on your research interest and the corresponding funding opportunity. From what I know of, most of the master student (if not all) who really wish to transfer to a PhD program managed to do that, some take only a quarter, some takes more.

2 minutes ago, yinxisang said:

Normally they have sent out MS offer by now but this year is very different... I can't say for sure when but I don't think it will be too long before they sent out. Regarding the second question, it really depends on your research interest and the corresponding funding opportunity. From what I know of, most of the master student (if not all) who really wish to transfer to a PhD program managed to do that, some take only a quarter, some takes more.

Thank you so much for replying!