Stanford GSE Fall 2020

Rhac16

I noticed that the GSE website says that doctoral decisions go out in mid-February. Does anyone have any idea if/when they conduct interviews? And/or when "mid-February" actually is? I tried calling the admissions office today to ask but couldn't get through. 

I applied in 2016 to CTE - Science Education PhD and ultimately ended up on the waitlist. I did have an interview, which was conducted late January. I got a decision about being on the alternate list in mid Feb (around the 12th or so I think), and then around April got the final word that I was not offered admission. I reapplied the following year and was directly rejected - no interview, just a standard email rejection around the same decision time in mid Feb. This timeline for interviews and official decisions seems to match the patterns in GradCafe results. 

I heard from my POI in 2016 that they do not officially list interviews as part of the process but in their experience, it seemed like something that had happened every year. It might vary by program and/or subfield. 

I have not heard yet from Stanford this year, so... ? 

I know they did not end up admitting anyone for Science Education last year because one of the professors was about to start sabbatical and another was retiring; in 2017 they admitted two people, but one of them was required to be someone with an environmental science focus (I think b/c of a specific grant) ...so there are always factors outside our control that influence who (if anyone) gets interviewed/admitted and who doesn't in a given cycle. 

Edited by iheartscience

I think decisions are coming soon. I'm a Stanford staff member and can access "locked" webpages, and I noticed that from yesterday to today the PhD admitted students day page (which is hidden from those without a Stanford login) was updated to have this year's dates and info. Hoping for good news soon for all of us!

1 hour ago, Rhac16 said:

I think decisions are coming soon. I'm a Stanford staff member and can access "locked" webpages, and I noticed that from yesterday to today the PhD admitted students day page (which is hidden from those without a Stanford login) was updated to have this year's dates and info. Hoping for good news soon for all of us!

Are acceptances and rejections sent out at the same time? 

2 minutes ago, Green286 said:

Are acceptances and rejections sent out at the same time? 

I'm not sure. From looking at last year's results, it seems like they either went out the same day or one day apart, but both in the same week. 

Historically, decisions have gone out on the Thurs/Fri of the second week of Feb (just based on trends in the results page). If that pattern holds, that would be tomorrow and Friday! So hopefully we will all get some resolve this week. 

Edited by iheartscience

I would put my bets on tomorrow late afternoon for the official e-mail. Hopefully the PIs will be calling folks earlier than that. Crossing my fingers for all of you!