TWO GREAT SCHOOLS, SAME DAYS INTERVIEW (UConn HESA vs. UMD Higher Ed)

casey123

Hi! So I got offered assistantship interviews at University of Connecticut Higher Education M.A. program and University of Maryland Higher Education M.A. program. They are both great schools and I would like to interview for both BUT the interviews fall on the SAME exact days. Can anyone give me insight about these schools OR give me advise on how I can draft an email saying I am interested but the dates conflict. 

Any help is appreciated thank you!! 

Are these interviews on campus? 

If so, just decide which one you want to change, thank the interviewer for the opportunity and explain you have another interview that same day. Polite ask if the interview can be held another day. They shouldn't have a problem with that. 

16 hours ago, AP said:

Are these interviews on campus? 

If so, just decide which one you want to change, thank the interviewer for the opportunity and explain you have another interview that same day. Polite ask if the interview can be held another day. They shouldn't have a problem with that. 

This is more complicated than that.  In student affairs/higher ed programs, the campus visit day(s) are a series of interviews with assistantship sites as well as sometimes with the program/department.  If you don't attend the day - it is more difficult to secure an assistantship which ultimately pays for your degree with a tuition waiver, stipend, and benefits. People don't usually attend the program if they can't secure an assistantship.  Also if you can't get an assistantship, it makes finding a job post graduation way more difficult.

Are you leaning towards one over the other?  Granted it was well over 10 years ago - but I interviewed at both schools and they struck me as very different programs with different focuses.  I would be happy to talk more about my thoughts if you PM me.

This is a VERY common situation, so don’t be too hung up it. You will need to decide which program you would prefer and go to that interview day. For the other one, simply email them to let them know that you would love to be there but have a conflict preventing you from attending and request a virtual interview like Skype or Zoom. This happens all the time, they’re used to it. You would think the big Higher Ed schools would coordinate better but, alas.

Oh! You’ll also want to pay attention to if the program’s acceptance is conditional upon securing a GAship. Some programs require you to get an assistantship before you start the program and some don’t. So if one school will rescind your acceptance of you don’t get a GAship, and one would still accept you and you can find a GAship once you start in the fall, you’ll want to go to the one that requires a GAship right off the bat.