Second Semester Grad Student

Hey everyone! 

I'm a second semester grad school student currently attending The University of Alabama! I know when I was applying (and reapplying) I always found these type of threads helpful! I'm here to answer any questions you might have! Hopefully I can make you feel a little better about the whole process as decisions come out these next few months!! 

Hey, thanks for posting!

1. How do you like your program so far?

2. Do you have any tips for incoming students to be prepared for the first semester of grad school? Anything you would do differently if you could go back?

8 hours ago, wodin said:

Hey, thanks for posting!

2. Do you have any tips for incoming students to be prepared for the first semester of grad school? Anything you would do differently if you could go back?

1. So far I LOVE my program!! Everyone is so sweet and helpful!

2. Just rest up and get ready to be super busy! Especially for the first semester, everything is brand new and theres a bit of a learning curve! And if I could go back in time, I would definitely make sure I got all of my GRE stuff squared away with a 300 before November!!!

Hi! Thank you so much for making this thread! I have my first interview (at UTD) in a few weeks and im super nervous. Do you have any suggestions on how to prepare, what to wear etc.?

13 minutes ago, futurespeechie2 said:

Hi! Thank you so much for making this thread! I have my first interview (at UTD) in a few weeks and im super nervous. Do you have any suggestions on how to prepare, what to wear etc.?

I wore a suit! Think dress pants, a nice blouse (something that wont show sweat!) and a jacket! My shirt was a bright color cause I love pops of color! 

Always bring something to write down things to these interviews, try and look up the peoples names and faces so when they interview you, you have some idea who they are and what they do at the university! Then make sure you are familiar with basic terms like evidence based practice, why you want to do this, and stuff like that! 

And if you have time! Make some questions for them! Like what makes this department different, or stand out!

21 hours ago, wodin said:

Hey, thanks for posting!

My program has been pretty awesome. The professors have all been helpful and supportive, all my clinical and placement supervisors have been great (none of the horror stories I've heard of elsewhere, with either hyper-critical or completely unhelpful supervisors), and I feel like I have a pretty firm knowledge base for the Praxis, which I'm taking next week.

As far as the first semester goes, it might vary if you're not starting clinic right away, but mine really started off with a bang. My first clinic session was three weeks into the semester and I felt so nervous and in over my head. I was also kept VERY busy. I guess the important thing to remember is that your orogram is pulling for you, since they don't want any students to fail the program. Trust in yourself, get enough sleep if possible (skip the readings if you have to) and STAY ORGANIZED with a good planning system.

If I would do anything differently, I would have tried harder to break my procrastination habit. I did my work on time, but it would always take me too long to start working and I would get distracted, so I ended up devoting way too much of my evenings and weekends to work and didn't have enough downtime (especially last semester). Treat it like a job, work really hard when tiure at school, then try to find at least one day a week with no schoolwork! 

Thank you, @bibliophile222 and @Avschilling !

1. Do either of you work during grad school or know anyone who balances work and graduate school successfully? Is it outlandish to think I can continue to work 20 hours a week once I enter a program?

2. If you had more than one admissions offer to consider, what made you choose your specific program over another?

19 hours ago, snaileywhaley said:

1. Do either of you work during grad school or know anyone who balances work and graduate school successfully? Is it outlandish to think I can continue to work 20 hours a week once I enter a program?

2. If you had more than one admissions offer to consider, what made you choose your specific program over another?

I've worked a bit every semester through work-study. I typically work between 6 and 10 hours a week. This semester I have a bit more free time and could conceivably do more, but in any other semester it would have been quite difficult. A few people do work around 20 hours a week and can handle it, but they probably have better time management skills than I do! You can do it, but it will be hard.

I got into NYU's online program as well as UVM. I ended up choosing UVM for a couple reasons: first, they gave me a partial scholarship for my first year, making it cheaper than NYU. Second, I came in out of field with zero related experience, so I decided I would be more comfortable getting my feet wet with 2 semesters in UVM's on-campus clinic before starting placements. NYU offered a four day clinical immersion on campus, but it didnt sound long enough to me!

On 1/28/2020 at 10:49 AM, snaileywhaley said:

1. I personally don't work during grad school, but out of my cohort of 27, 16 people are working jobs! Strictly weekend jobs though! And no 20 hours a week is totally possible if you're dedicated and stay on top of school work!

2. I was fortunate enough to have more then one offer, and I choose the school with the higher passing rate of Praxis! But if you can, go see the schools and see were you like it better!

Edited by Avschilling