Can I back out of an offer I've already accepted?

choijae

Can you accept an offer at Apr 15 then afterwards lets say like at the 20th you hear back from the school you've got waitlisted that your in. Can you reject the offer from the first school you've accepted in this case?

Can you accept an offer at Apr 15 then afterwards lets say like at the 20th you hear back from the school you've got waitlisted that your in. Can you reject the offer from the first school you've accepted in this case?

I think that's actually frowned upon. It would be best if you asked for an extension rather than accepting and then rejecting the offer later on.

I understand why even an extension might not look good, but so many considerations go into making a graduate school decision that have nothing to do with the schools. Financial considerations, distance from family, public transportation, weather...you name it. With all those things in mind, asking for an extension shouldn't be taboo. Just try not to frame this as a wait list situation, so you don't seem desperate for another school.

I'm grateful my schools allow me until May 1 to make a decision. If they didn't, I'd ask for an extension to consider my financial options and to knowledgeably make the best decision for my success. Put a positive spin on it -- the school you ultimately accept will be the perfect one for you because of your careful consideration, and the one you don't just wasn't meant to be -- and they don't want a half-hearted grad student, anyway. So hopefully they'll allow you the time to be sure about your choice.

You'll have to get a written release from the first school. Check out the CGS resolution.

You'll have to get a written release from the first school. Check out the CGS resolution.

I have only heard one positive reply out of the 5 schools that I had applied to (still waiting on 2). Out of the remaining 2 schools, is the University that I would really like to go to.

That being said, previously I wasn't aware of this written release form. So, just to safe guard myself I have already accepted the offer from my only acceptance. I wish I had read this thread earlier.

For instance if I do hear back positively from my top priority, what do I do? (I am an international student, less familiar with the US schooling system, hence could I get less frowned upon for asking to back out? heh)

I also have this question of can I back out of an offer I've already accepted...... Is the etiquitte different in terms of a professional program like speech pathology or education where you are studying to get a certification?

<br />I also have this question of can I back out of an offer I've already accepted...... Is the etiquitte different in terms of a professional program like speech pathology or education where you are studying to get a certification?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think that is harder than getting an extension. If there is a decent chance you won't go, get an extension. Backing out is bad form, and should only be done if you have to. That being said it does happen.

Edited by Riotbeard

Yes, you can back out of an offer if you receive written consent from the school you are declining. If you are waitlisted at a school you really want to attend, though, wait until Thursday afternoon to email the school whose offer you'd accept if not for the school at which you've been waitlisted. If you haven't heard from the school at which you've been waitlisted at that point, call that department to check on your status. If they say they can't tell you yet whether you'll be admitted, accept at the other school as late as possible (check with their office to see whether they have a 5:00pm or midnight deadline). If you get off the waitlist at the other school, you can then request written consent from the first school to accept that offer. It's not ideal, but schools understand that you have no choice.

Just wanted to clarify something myself - even if I have accepted an admissions offer with an assistantship and tuition waiver (so falling under the CGS resolution), I can still withdraw my acceptance by 5 PM on April 15th without any issues? Apart from of course pissing off the professor whom I had said yes to.

Just wanted to clarify something myself - even if I have accepted an admissions offer with an assistantship and tuition waiver (so falling under the CGS resolution), I can still withdraw my acceptance by 5 PM on April 15th without any issues? Apart from of course pissing off the professor whom I had said yes to.

http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS_Resolution.pdf

"In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15."

So yes, you have through April 15 to withdraw, and yes, they definitely won't like you very much.

I had to do it last year. It isn't recommended, but it isn't the worst thing in the world either. Better to do it than be in a program that doesn't fit. They'll get over you ;)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use