Current grad student here

Hi! I remember the amount of times I checked grad cafe around this time last year. So, I'm here to answer any of your questions from how to prepare for a grad interview, to trying to pick between programs and what grad school is like. I know I needed something like this when I was applying/waiting to hear back. 

You guys got this!! Hope I can help :)

HI! Current applicant with 2 interviews scheduled. What were interviews like for you? Were there difficult questions or questions you didn't expect? I'm interviewing at Sacred Heart University and Boston University in the next few weeks.

22 hours ago, Emilygrace505 said:

HI! Current applicant with 2 interviews scheduled. What were interviews like for you? Were there difficult questions or questions you didn't expect? I'm interviewing at Sacred Heart University and Boston University in the next few weeks.

I am interviewing at both BU and SHU as well! Good luck!!

Any information about the interview process would be greatly appreciated! Were your questions more based off your application or were they kind of analytical, questions that make you think?

I know Saint Mary's College does an online interview and the questions wee not related to your application at all.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, mckennahslp said:

Hi! Thanks for making yourself available. I have an interview coming up and wondering if you could tell me about your experiences. Thanks so much!

Yes, of course! I've been on 3 different interviews. First one had 2 parts. First part was working on a mini presentation of a topic the interviewer gave us (I was with 2 other applicants). The main reasoning behind this is to see how do you work in a team. Make sure you contribute but ALSO listen to what others have to say and take it into consideration and leave room for others to talk. It's a team. Then after we completed that, we had a group interview. I remember being asked to list 5 things I like about myself, why do I think I'm a good fit for the program and what are things I have done that will prepare me to succeed as a grad student. Honestly, the questions weren't too bad. My other interview was going into different rooms with one.  faculty member and an SLP from the community and they asked questions like "what would you do in this scenario." An example was, "what would you do if you got into 3 grad programs but your close friend got rejected from 3?" Another way, "teach us something." My last one was another group interview online and was asked, "in a group project, which position are you likely to take," and "talk about a time you were faced with an obstacle and how did you overcome it?"

Hope these were helpful! Good luck in your interview! You'll do great :)

On 2/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, Emilygrace505 said:

Hey! I just responded to another comment with a similar question. I think you'll find m y answer helpful (hopefully). And honestly, they were not as scary as I thought they'd be. Try to go over basic questions yourself before you go in like "why slp?" and "why would you be a good fit in our program?" and such. 

Good luck!! :)

8 hours ago, amanda_rensch said:

Any information about the interview process would be greatly appreciated! Were your questions more based off your application or were they kind of analytical, questions that make you think?

I know Saint Mary's College does an online interview and the questions wee not related to your application at all.

I said this to someone else, too haha but I shared an answer in the comments to another person's question that was similar to yours. They were all questions regarding things about me that would make me a good slp and make me a good grad student for their program. Din't get asked any questions specifically based off my application. Hopefully my other comment will also be helpful to you. 

Good luck!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, TeamNoSleep said:

Yes, of course! I've been on 3 different interviews. First one had 2 parts. First part was working on a mini presentation of a topic the interviewer gave us (I was with 2 other applicants). The main reasoning behind this is to see how do you work in a team. Make sure you contribute but ALSO listen to what others have to say and take it into consideration and leave room for others to talk. It's a team. Then after we completed that, we had a group interview. I remember being asked to list 5 things I like about myself, why do I think I'm a good fit for the program and what are things I have done that will prepare me to succeed as a grad student. Honestly, the questions weren't too bad. My other interview was going into different rooms with one.  faculty member and an SLP from the community and they asked questions like "what would you do in this scenario." An example was, "what would you do if you got into 3 grad programs but your close friend got rejected from 3?" Another way, "teach us something." My last one was another group interview online and was asked, "in a group project, which position are you likely to take," and "talk about a time you were faced with an obstacle and how did you overcome it?"

Hope these were helpful! Good luck in your interview! You'll do great :)

Thank you SO much for sharing! So, what do you feel like made you stand out during your interviews? Did you get in to the schools you interviewed for? What did you wear? How did you prepare?

Sorry for the many questions, but I appreciate your time.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:06 PM, mckennahslp said:

Thank you SO much for sharing! So, what do you feel like made you stand out during your interviews? Did you get in to the schools you interviewed for? What did you wear? How did you prepare?

Sorry for the many questions, but I appreciate your time.

No problem at all! Honestly, I didn't have a ton of experience outside of school and work but still used what I could to make me stand out. For example, I made sure to include (when I can/ was asked) that I volunteered as an ESL tutor, did research with a prof in undergrad, and was on the board in a religious club I was apart of (for "leadership" or whatever lol). I also think making your personality stand out is important, too. Are you determined? Hard working? Do you genuinely care about working with others and watching them improve as you're working with them? How do you interact with others? 

I wore a women's suit. Simple. I can't dress up for the life of me so I went with whatever I saw lol. And I just prepared by practicing very basic questions I looked up - more specific towards SLP and SLP grad school. But don't over prepare and drive yourself crazy. You will be fine! I promise! I do have social anxiety, but I felt like preparing just enough and believing in myself (as corny as it sounds) did it right for me. And yes, I got into all of the places I interview for. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! Just wanted to thank you for your help again. My interview went well. I was SO nervous and there's no doubt they didn't see that, but I got in! I went prepared with a question and took your advice with preparation before interview day. You were so helpful!

On 2/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, TeamNoSleep said:

Hi! I remember the amount of times I checked grad cafe around this time last year. So, I'm here to answer any of your questions from how to prepare for a grad interview, to trying to pick between programs and what grad school is like. I know I needed something like this when I was applying/waiting to hear back. 

You guys got this!! Hope I can help :)

Hello there!!! So kind of you! After 2 years, I am finally preparing myself for an interview with RMU this Mondy. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Wondering if you're willing to share your interview experience and questions that you remember... Thank you in advance! 

6 minutes ago, Radamel said:

Hello there!!! So kind of you! After 2 years, I am finally preparing myself for an interview with RMU this Mondy. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Wondering if you're willing to share your interview experience and questions that you remember... Thank you in advance! 

I read the other comments after posting mine. I found the answers I as looking for! Thank you for being so helpful. I am sure we are all appreciative of that. Blessings to you!