Design/Tech - NYU ITP, Parsons D&T, Berkeley MDes etc.

taketwo

15 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

I haven’t heard anything from SVA IxD yet either. Hopefully soon?

I got an email today about Parsons Interviews. They’re taking place this week. 

Congrats! I haven't heard from Parsons, but I did interview with SVA. They said they would be doing rounds of interviews throughout Feb. 

2 hours ago, taketwo said:

Congrats! I haven't heard from Parsons, but I did interview with SVA. They said they would be doing rounds of interviews throughout Feb. 

So did it sound like they wouldn’t all be going on at once and we can still have hope if we haven’t heard from them yet? ? What’d they ask?

I’ll update later after my Parsons interview!

23 hours ago, voxpop said:

Congrats on the interview! I'd love to hear how it is / goes.

I'll make sure to post if I hear anything from SVA.

I think it went well! It was a pretty casual video call with two professors from different areas of study within the department. They asked why I was applying to Parsons, what I hoped to do while in the program and what I was thinking career-wise. I forget the exact wording, but that's the gist. It was 20 minutes. They said decision letters go out in a few weeks in March but didn't know the exact date. 

6 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

I think it went well! It was a pretty casual video call with two professors from different areas of study within the department. They asked why I was applying to Parsons, what I hoped to do while in the program and what I was thinking career-wise. I forget the exact wording, but that's the gist. It was 20 minutes. They said decision letters go out in a few weeks in March but didn't know the exact date. 

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear it went well. From what I've seen in the results page it does seem Parsons keep very close to march 15 for decisions.

SVA IxD seems to be a lot more scattered out in terms of both interviews and decisions, but that's just based on the small sample size from this platform..

6 minutes ago, ArinL said:

Applied to Parsons DT as well but didn't receive the interview, I guess that means no hope to be considered ?

It's one of the largest programs at Parsons and from what I've seen classes from previous years ranged from 60-90 students, so I am pretty certain they don't interview all admitted applicants. Might be a lower chance of a scholarship consideration? But I don't know...

1 minute ago, voxpop said:

It's one of the largest programs at Parsons and from what I've seen classes from previous years ranged from 60-90 students, so I am pretty certain they don't interview all admitted applicants. Might be a lower chance of a scholarship consideration? But I don't know...

That make sense. Oh well, can do nothing but finger crossed at this moment. 

5 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

Anyone else watching the location of hits on their portfolio site on Google analytics or is it just me? ? 

Haha yep, I feel you. After I had turned all my applications in I actually thought I would "relax" but I've honestly been more stressed the past two months then I ever was while working on my apps lol.

1 hour ago, voxpop said:

Haha yep, I feel you. After I had turned all my applications in I actually thought I would "relax" but I've honestly been more stressed the past two months then I ever was while working on my apps lol.

Totally agree! At least when they’re in progress you’ve got something to focus on. 

I got accepted to University of Miami’s interactive media MFA program today. Anyone on here have thoughts on their program? Still really hoping to get into an NYC school. 

Congrats @ixdmfaplease! I haven't looked into the UM program, but I wouldn't mind Miami (coming from someone who hasn't lived there ha). 

The analytics drive me crazy! Almost wish I didn't have access. I mean it's great when schools look through, but for NYU they haven't played my video on Vimeo, even though the page has been viewed, which I assume isn't too promising. 

@ArinL - no Parsons DT interview either! Fingers crossed for the both of us. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, the-panda-ninja said:

Hey guys! I am applying for HCI related courses for Fall 2020. I attended interviews for Indiana Bloomington. CMU, and NYU this month. Looking to hear back from Cornell, UMD, UW, UofToronto, UC Boulder, and GaTech. 

Saw that Georgia Tech started sending out admits for Master's in HCI already! Didnt hear back from them myself. Really anxious about it since it is a dream school of mine :(

I applied to IUB, CMU, UW, GaTech and UMD as well. I had my interview with IUB but did not receive any interview request from CMU (really nervous since many of my friends who applied to the MHCI program received the interview call from CMU).

I got accepted to the HCIM program at UMD, College Park.

Edited by UXGuy

On 2/25/2020 at 11:23 PM, the-panda-ninja said:

Hey guys! I am applying for HCI related courses for Fall 2020. I attended interviews for Indiana Bloomington. CMU, and NYU this month. Looking to hear back from Cornell, UMD, UW, UofToronto, UC Boulder, and GaTech. 

Saw that Georgia Tech started sending out admits for Master's in HCI already! Didnt hear back from them myself. Really anxious about it since it is a dream school of mine :(

There are multiple threads on it, but basically GeorgiaTech has a rolling process, people continue to receive admits till mid-late March. 

On 2/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, UXGuy said:

I applied to IUB, CMU, UW, GaTech and UMD as well. I had my interview with IUB but did not receive any interview request from CMU (really nervous since many of my friends who applied to the MHCI program received the interview call from CMU).

I got accepted to the HCIM program at UMD, College Park.

My GT (IC track) application status has changed to Dept. Decision Made, but I cannot see what was the decision. I haven't received any email from GT yet.

Please suggest how I may see the dept. decision. Thank you.

Edited by UXGuy

Does SVA update the status beyond “Complete! Your application will be reviewed.”? That’s what the landing page on mine says and then under Applications, the Portal Status says “Application Ready for Review”. I applied to interaction design. 

3 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

Does SVA update the status beyond “Complete! Your application will be reviewed.”? That’s what the landing page on mine says and then under Applications, the Portal Status says “Application Ready for Review”. I applied to interaction design. 

Must be a good sign! I just logged into the portal and saw I was rejected. :(

2 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

Oh no, I’m sorry! What program did you apply to? Fingers-crossed for your other options 

IxD! I don't come from a "traditional" design background (studied marketing for undergrad and now work in tech product marketing), so it was definitely a long-shot. 
And thanks, will continue to keep the thread posted :)

10 hours ago, ixdmfaplease said:

6 hours ago, ciwy13 said:

Must be a good sign! I just logged into the portal and saw I was rejected. :(

I might not be of much help because my status is still just "Submitted" and "Application submitted" as portal status. That's because they haven't accepted my TOEFL waiver yet, so one item is still left unchecked on the checklist... I emailed the admissions office about a month ago and they confirmed that all my application materials were received and that it would be up to the IXD reviewing committee to approve my English language waiver, and that they would reach out id further proof was needed. But assuming it not good news that they haven't yet.

@ciwy13 I am so sorry to hear you got bad news. If you don't mind me asking, how did you know that the application was rejected? 

Unrelated:

I received an admission to Pratt today! (I am happy to get my first admission letter but will  decline the offer).

9 hours ago, taketwo said:

@ciwy13 so sorry to hear this. where else did you apply and what are your top choices? I saw you're looking at ITP -- fingers crossed for you! They let in loads of people from non-traditional backgrounds. I think IxD is a little more focused. 

@voxpop & @kcux2020 congrats on your acceptances !

Big few weeks coming up ✌️

Also applied to Parsons DT, NYU ITP, UW HCDE, and Berkeley MDes. My top choices are probably Parsons and NYU, but the rejection was still a blow regardless. Thank you! Trying to keep my hopes up ? Transitioning fields and charting your own path is hard.

2 hours ago, ciwy13 said:

Also applied to Parsons DT, NYU ITP, UW HCDE, and Berkeley MDes. My top choices are probably Parsons and NYU, but the rejection was still a blow regardless. Thank you! Trying to keep my hopes up ? Transitioning fields and charting your own path is hard.

SVA IxD is also a super small program. Parsons DT and NYU ITP are pretty huge! Lots of room for people from diverse backgrounds. Best of luck, all this waiting will be over soon! 

I’m transitioning fields too and it’s so hard to understand the best way to navigate that and “sell yourself” to these schools.