I think I screwed up..

ur.future.therapist

Hey all, this cycle I applied to 11 programs for clinical or counseling psychology and received 6 interview invites so far, which was a good number for me. However, after finishing 4 interviews, I found out that I have been waitlisted from 2 of the ones I really like and rejected from 1. I think one of the reasons for this might have been because I didn't show diligence or self awareness that a prospective grad student should have, especially about research. In short, I don't think I prepared for them well enough. I still have 2 interviews to go and I have already started preparing for them, but I really wished I had done the same for my top choices. 

Is there something I can do to reach out to my PI's to show them that I am still motivated to work with them? Or if grad school doesn't pan out this year, what can I do? Please note that I am in the US on a student visa, and to stay and work here in the next year, I would still have to be on some type of visa.  

I appreciate your help! 

2 hours ago, ur.future.therapist said:

Hey all, this cycle I applied to 11 programs for clinical or counseling psychology and received 6 interview invites so far, which was a good number for me. However, after finishing 4 interviews, I found out that I have been waitlisted from 2 of the ones I really like and rejected from 1. I think one of the reasons for this might have been because I didn't show diligence or self awareness that a prospective grad student should have, especially about research. In short, I don't think I prepared for them well enough. I still have 2 interviews to go and I have already started preparing for them, but I really wished I had done the same for my top choices. 

Is there something I can do to reach out to my PI's to show them that I am still motivated to work with them? Or if grad school doesn't pan out this year, what can I do? Please note that I am in the US on a student visa, and to stay and work here in the next year, I would still have to be on some type of visa.  

I appreciate your help! 

What do you mean 'diligence or self awareness that a prospective grad student should have, especially about research'?

2 hours ago, ur.future.therapist said:

I appreciate your help! 

You can probably can reach out to the PI's from the wait-listed programs, emphasizing your research interests and specific projects you'd be interested in that align with the opportunities at that program, I don't see that harming your chances! 

27 minutes ago, psychpsychpsych said:

What do you mean 'diligence or self awareness that a prospective grad student should have, especially about research'?

I wasn't prepared to talk about the future research projects I would like to work on. My research interests were really broad, and I found myself not able to articulate what exactly I wanted to research. 

25 minutes ago, 192020 said:

You can probably can reach out to the PI's from the wait-listed programs, emphasizing your research interests and specific projects you'd be interested in that align with the opportunities at that program, I don't see that harming your chances! 

Thank you! Should I reach out to them immediately or give it some time?

On 2/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, ur.future.therapist said:

I wasn't prepared to talk about the future research projects I would like to work on. My research interests were really broad, and I found myself not able to articulate what exactly I wanted to research. 

Can you articulate it now? I agree with 192020, worst case scenario you might be able to start building/networking a connection for applying for next year to the same programs (if you don't go somewhere else). Good luck!