2020 MFA Acting Thread!

Bucky Waters

Hi all! Unbelievably, there's no Acting MFA thread for 2020, so let's get the proverbial ball a-rolling, yes?

Where is everyone in the process? I received an official offer from East 15 today, and a rejection from Brown. (Womp, womp.) It's been a rollercoaster of a day. Ha. Also, I was rejected from USC at the tail end of January.

Anyone hear from USD, NYU, or ACT? I know DePaul is still auditioning!

30 minutes ago, shecutetho said:

Hey!

I am still waiting for Columbia (nobody I know has heard) and Brown. Quick question for you and @Bucky Waters - Trying to understand the Brown process. You both said you heard word... can I just clarify if either of you did a callback for them?

Hi! To clarify: I did not get a callback for Brown. I'm assuming that it's a positive sign if you haven't heard anything yet? Fingers crossed for you!

On 2/11/2020 at 12:22 PM, Crooked Lake said:

Hi everyone! I also just got an official rejection from Brown yesterday (oof). ACT notified me about final callbacks last Tuesday, and I think they're still calling people.

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia or U of W? 

Best of luck to all :)

Hey Crooked Lane, a friend of mine was notified at her end-of-day interview at Columbia that she was invited to the callback weekend. I don't know if it's the same for all candidates or not. Hope that's helpful. :)

On 2/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, shecutetho said:

Hey!

I am still waiting for Columbia (nobody I know has heard) and Brown. Quick question for you and @Bucky Waters - Trying to understand the Brown process. You both said you heard word... can I just clarify if either of you did a callback for them?

Hey shecutetho, I did not receive a callback, but they did explain in the orientation that a callback isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not they're still interested.

I did URTAS but did not follow through with schools that weren’t full rides. 

I was offered a full ride To FAU 

and an acceptance to Royal Conservatoire of Birmingham. 

but I’m most likely going to audition another year , Brown or Yale are my goals. 

congrats to everyone , and remember no amount of “no” will ever define you and your passion. Kick ass in all your up and coming projects !! 

Gotcha! That makes sense. This is my second time auditioning for grad school. I received a callback for Yale last year as well as this year! However, I never made it to the end of day callbacks. So Congrats to you!! Yale is also in my top choices of schools.  I also received a callback from NYU (which was also within my top choices of programs) - didn't receive an end of day callback though. So now I'm just waiting to hear back from the URTA schools I'm interested in; which are within my list of possible schools to attend: UNC - Chapel Hill, CalArts, and University of California - Irvine. I had callbacks and interviews with these schools. Overall, I think it went went great!! At this moment, I'm just doing what I think is the hardest part... (waiting to hear back). But thanks so much for the positive energy and feedback!! Wishing you the very best!!!!

1 minute ago, JayC said:

Gotcha! That makes sense. This is my second time auditioning for grad school. I received a callback for Yale last year as well as this year! However, I never made it to the end of day callbacks. So Congrats to you!! Yale is also in my top choices of schools.  I also received a callback from NYU (which was also within my top choices of programs) - didn't receive an end of day callback though. So now I'm just waiting to hear back from the URTA schools I'm interested in; which are within my list of possible schools to attend: UNC - Chapel Hill, CalArts, and University of California - Irvine. I had callbacks and interviews with these schools. Overall, I think it went went great!! At this moment, I'm just doing what I think is the hardest part... (waiting to hear back). But thanks so much for the positive energy and feedback!! Wishing you the very best!!!!

Hey JayC! Yeah, waiting is definitely the hardest part--I feel you on that one.

So far, I've heard back from all of the URTA schools that called me back: an acceptance from East 15, a callback weekend from Brooklyn College, and a callback visit at California State University Long Beach (I declined interest in Rose Bruford at the URTAs). I'm also waiting to hear from schools that I had end-of-day callbacks for: NYU, ACT (I know they've been calling people since last week), University of San Diego. DePaul has their final audition date tomorrow. My gut feeling is that we'll be hearing within the next week or so as folx decline offers/can't attend callbacks and new candidates from their lists are contacted.

Wishing you all the best!! We're going to end up exactly where we belong. :D

On 2/11/2020 at 11:36 PM, TallestManonEarth said:

Hi, waiting it out as well. 

I was called back at Brown but received my rejection letter a couple of days ago. 

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Yale ? 

I'm over here manifesting for that weekend call back ❤️

My son got a call for the weekend callback from Yale on Tuesday and again an email on Wednesday.

23 hours ago, Bucky Waters said:

Hey JayC! Yeah, waiting is definitely the hardest part--I feel you on that one.

So far, I've heard back from all of the URTA schools that called me back: an acceptance from East 15, a callback weekend from Brooklyn College, and a callback visit at California State University Long Beach (I declined interest in Rose Bruford at the URTAs). I'm also waiting to hear from schools that I had end-of-day callbacks for: NYU, ACT (I know they've been calling people since last week), University of San Diego. DePaul has their final audition date tomorrow. My gut feeling is that we'll be hearing within the next week or so as folx decline offers/can't attend callbacks and new candidates from their lists are contacted.

Wishing you all the best!! We're going to end up exactly where we belong. :D

Congratulations!!! That's amazing. I agree with you, we will definitely hear something next week. Acceptance offers only : ) Wishing you the very best as well!!! Everything will align perfectly... just as it should.