Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

Hey guys, I just got the admission to the MS OR program of Columbia this afternoon.

Congratulations!!!

Thank god Columbia finally starts to give out Maters...

Anybody knows how its MS program is? Only one year... a little too short

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TO IOEgirl,

I also received the admission letter from Columbia, after rejected by PHD program. At the beginning of the letter, it said "Dear admitted Student" but not "Dear XXX(my name)". is it the same with you?

Thank you!

To IOEgirl and mar,

Today I requested to be considered for masters program for Columbia, waiting for response now.

Do they fully or partially waive the tuition for masters? What about availability of TA-ship etc?

Do they mention these things in the acceptance letter?

Hey guys, I checked my application status of Georgia Tech on the website and found a message that "Final decision has been made -- you will receive a notification letter from the department. PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REGARDING THIS DECISION. You must wait to receive the official decision letter." I was so anxious about this decision message because I cannot figure out what the application decision is. Is there anyone who have met this situation before? :?

PH

Hey guys, I checked my application status of Georgia Tech on the website and found a message that "Final decision has been made -- you will receive a notification letter from the department. PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REGARDING THIS DECISION. You must wait to receive the official decision letter." I was so anxious about this decision message because I cannot figure out what the application decision is. Is there anyone who have met this situation before? :?

PH

No, I applied to Gatech as well. I read on their website that they have extended deadlines for some PhD programs.

What about Cornell??

To IOEgirl and mar,

Today I requested to be considered for masters program for Columbia, waiting for response now.

Do they fully or partially waive the tuition for masters? What about availability of TA-ship etc?

Do they mention these things in the acceptance letter?

No, I received the letter from the SEAS but not the department. The email mentioned nothing about financial aid. And I think it is impossible for MS to get financial aid. The total budget is $60000!!! Crazy!!!

to allyoop,

If you search the results for the last years in gradcafe, you will find similar discussions for GeorgiaTech. As far as I remember, it was written there that you are accepted if you receive two packekts. By the way, when your documents reached the dept? and are you for PhD for GeorgiaTech? I applied for PhD and they were in dept around Feb10. My status is still unchanged.

TO IOEgirl,

I also received the admission letter from Columbia, after rejected by PHD program. At the beginning of the letter, it said "Dear admitted Student" but not "Dear XXX(my name)". is it the same with you?

Thank you!

Yap.

to allyoop,

If you search the results for the last years in gradcafe, you will find similar discussions for GeorgiaTech. As far as I remember, it was written there that you are accepted if you receive two packekts. By the way, when your documents reached the dept? and are you for PhD for GeorgiaTech? I applied for PhD and they were in dept around Feb10. My status is still unchanged.

Hi, IEOR.

Thanks for your information. It seems that I was rejected by Georgia Tech. I completed my application and mailed the supporting documents in the middle of December of 2008. Hopefully, you can be admitted. Good luck. :)

PH

Dear all:

After receiving rejection letters from Columbia, Princeton, and Georgia Tech, I begin to worry about my chance to be admitted to top universities. Do you think what is the most important indicator in application portfolios (GPA, TOEFL, Recommendation, etc.)? I really hope to know if I still have a chance to be admitted to top universities. The following is my stats.

GPA under: 3.4 graduate: 4.0

TOEFL: 101

GRE Quant: 800 Verb: 430 Anal: 4.0

Publications: Journal*4, Conference*4

Regards.

PH

Dear all:

After receiving rejection letters from Columbia, Princeton, and Georgia Tech, I begin to worry about my chance to be admitted to top universities. Do you think what is the most important indicator in application portfolios (GPA, TOEFL, Recommendation, etc.)? I really hope to know if I still have a chance to be admitted to top universities. The following is my stats.

GPA under: 3.4 graduate: 4.0

TOEFL: 101

GRE Quant: 800 Verb: 430 Anal: 4.0

Publications: Journal*4, Conference*4

Regards.

PH

I think recommendation letters are very important.

Yes, I think perhaps the most important part of an application + GPA of course.

But I wonder how you could get strong recommendation letters when you do not graduate from a top school (or Ivy)

I was accepted to the PhD program at Cornell!

Does anyone know much about the program? How does it compare to the program at Georgia Tech?

Congrats! Definitely a top notch.

If you wanna specialize in OR, Cornell is in the same level with MIT/ORC.

GaTech is famous for its IE department but not so much as an OR program.

Congrats! Definitely a top notch.

If you wanna specialize in OR, Cornell is in the same level with MIT/ORC.

GaTech is famous for its IE department but not so much as an OR program.

just curious...how do you figure Cornell OR is the same level with MIT/ORC?

I was accepted to the PhD program at Cornell!

Does anyone know much about the program? How does it compare to the program at Georgia Tech?

Congratulations. Were you informed very recently or back in mid-February?

I am now waiting from 4 programs and it seems you also applied 3 of those 4, assuming that you applied to UCLA DOTM.

One difference between Cornell ORIE and GeorgiaTech ISYE is the size. While Cornell has 40 PhD students, GeorgiaTech

has around 180. Also, GeorgiaTech has may be two times faculty of Cornell's size. I am not very well in these,

PhD placements of the two programs seem similar, maybe Cornell slightly better. And also as fakeworm said, Cornell is mainly focused on

OR. Financial engineering part of Cornell is more stronger than GeorgiaTech's. It will depend on research area probably,

in which research area are you interested?

just curious...how do you figure Cornell OR is the same level with MIT/ORC?

My Optimization Course professor graduated from MIT/ORC with a PhD degree. He told me there are seven top notches in OR for graduate schools in the nation. MIT, CORNELL, NORTHWESTERN, GATECH, BERKELEY, STANFORD, COLUMBIA. He also mentioned that MIT/CORNELL definitely provides the best in the nation.

Anyway, this is just what he thoughts...I really can't tell since I haven't been either of these places...

This year is such a tough year. It seems impossible for an undergraduate to get into any OR PhD program. I think I've tried my best to prepare for all the applications. My only regret is that I have no publication.

This year is such a tough year. It seems impossible for an undergraduate to get into any OR PhD program. I think I've tried my best to prepare for all the applications. My only regret is that I have no publication.

Definitely right! It's just unfortunate that we are graduating this year...anyway, we should always have faith!

No only undergraduate students. I have publications, but no strong recommendation letters.

How could I get strong recomm letters if I could not get into top OR/IE program?!

If I am in a top OR/IE progam and got these letters, why I have to apply programs in other top programs?!

Maybe I should go to South Harmon Institute of Technology to be a "S.H.I.T"!

Definitely right! It's just unfortunate that we are graduating this year...anyway, we should always have faith!

Yap :D

To get strong recommendation letters, I think a close personal relationship with the professor is necessary, which is always hard to establish.

Congratulations. Were you informed very recently or back in mid-February?

I was informed this week. I have not heard back from most of the programs. As far as my research interests are concerned, finance is not one of them. I am interested in pricing, supply chain management, network design, and auction design.

I did apply to DOTM at UCLA, but I have not heard anything back. Good luck!

Wow. That really surprised me. I thought publications are much more important than recommendation letters. What kind of recommendation letters can be considered as strong (e.g. reference's title, academic contribution, or reputation)?