Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

Hi guys, up to now I have received the admissions of Stanford MS&E M.S. program, Columbia IEOR M.S. program and Berkeley IEOR M.S./Ph.D. program, all of which offer no funding... Would you please give me some advice that which program is better(in aspects of placement or advanced study)? And is it possible for me to get funded in the future study in those programs? Thank you very much!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Congratulations. Did they email you or you learned by chance when you checked the website?

I just checked mine- it says no decision has been made.

You are probably still thinking which one to choose. Are you leaning towards Cornell or Gatech?

I just found out by checking the website. It is kind of strange that I was not sent an email. I am still trying to decide...but I am leaning towards Cornell. Anyone have some advice?

In my opinion, Cornell is greater. Moreover, ithaca is safer and nicer than Atlanta

I just found out by checking the website. It is kind of strange that I was not sent an email. I am still trying to decide...but I am leaning towards Cornell. Anyone have some advice?

Woo~I agree that ithaca is not an urban place, but it's not far from NYC. BTW, what's your interesed area in OR?

PS: I am also considering going to Cornell~

I am actually from Atlanta. Haha. So the crime doesn't really bother me. I do agree that Ithaca is definitely more beautiful...but it is not an urban center.

Can someone suggest me which to choose between OR major at UT Austin and Texas A&M. As far as I have known, Texas A&M has a larger faculty in terms of numbers but, most of the people I know who made to Texas A&M were rejected by Austin. The research options for my field of interest are pretty much similar in both these univs and the ORIE program of UT Austin is an area under Mechanical Engg Deptt.

Could someone advise me regarding this dilemma :cry:

Thanks in advance!

I've been admitted to Berkeley IEOR MS/PhD, Stanford MS&E PhD, and Ga Tech ISyE PhD and I've visited all three programs. Right now I'm leaning towards Berkeley due to my broad research interests. I see the strengths of each program as follows: GaTech's size (in terms of variety of work and ability to explore), Stanford's reputation, and Berkeley's applied research.

GaTech's program seems cohesive, with lots of faculty collaboration and good quality of life for students. However, the related departments are not as strong as Stanford/Berkeley, so there's less opportunity to work with top faculty in Econ or Math, etc.

Berkeley's program is the smallest of my 3 options, and it seems they have good years and bad years. The 1st year curriculum is quite rigorous, and some years significant numbers of students fail prelims and exit the program (though they could try to take them the following year).

Stanford's incoming PhD class will only be about 20 this year as opposed to 30 in most years because departmental funding is down with their endowment's decline. I am told it is also common for Stanford PhDs to be teaching assistants in every semester of their graduate career because they don't get funded by professors' grants.

Is there anyone else making a similar decision? Any input based on other campus visits?

I've been admitted to Berkeley IEOR MS/PhD, Stanford MS&E PhD, and Ga Tech ISyE PhD and I've visited all three programs. Right now I'm leaning towards Berkeley due to my broad research interests. I see the strengths of each program as follows: GaTech's size (in terms of variety of work and ability to explore), Stanford's reputation, and Berkeley's applied research.

GaTech's program seems cohesive, with lots of faculty collaboration and good quality of life for students. However, the related departments are not as strong as Stanford/Berkeley, so there's less opportunity to work with top faculty in Econ or Math, etc.

Berkeley's program is the smallest of my 3 options, and it seems they have good years and bad years. The 1st year curriculum is quite rigorous, and some years significant numbers of students fail prelims and exit the program (though they could try to take them the following year).

Stanford's incoming PhD class will only be about 20 this year as opposed to 30 in most years because departmental funding is down with their endowment's decline. I am told it is also common for Stanford PhDs to be teaching assistants in every semester of their graduate career because they don't get funded by professors' grants.

Is there anyone else making a similar decision? Any input based on other campus visits?

Thank you for sharing the information!

Does Stanford usually enroll some MS student into their PhD program? or more likely they recruit PhD student from outside?

hey mkg1284, you were there at the BERKELEY department visit as well? I completely agree with what u said.

but u said there are years that significant numbers of students fal prelims...this is quite scary...

I've already sent u a message on board.

I recently got admission from Columbia MSOR after rejected by IEOR phD. But it seems to be 1 year program..

So I doubt that it would be appropriate course to attend to phD courses..

Does anyone know about MSOR program? NY seems to be a fascinating place and of course I know Columbia is a good school,

But tuition and expenses are too expensive!!

I recently got admission from Columbia MSOR after rejected by IEOR phD. But it seems to be 1 year program..

So I doubt that it would be appropriate course to attend to phD courses..

Does anyone know about MSOR program? NY seems to be a fascinating place and of course I know Columbia is a good school,

But tuition and expenses are too expensive!!

I asked several friends for suggestions these days.

Some says that Columbia enrolls too much MS students and the reputation of its MS program is declining.

Some says that it is an ivy, located in NYC, and generally as you said a good school.

I'm choosing between it and Umich IOE MS program. It seems both programs do not get much high comment. I'm really hesitating and confused...

I saw a lot of posts asking to compare some MS programs in top schools. I just want to give my opinions. First, let me talk about the aim of those MS programs in top schools. Every MS program enroll a lot of students every year and some could be as many as 200+. The reason is simple: they need to make money, especially when the economy is bad. I describe it as a circle. The more students they enroll, the more money they will earn, the more support can give to their PhD program, the better their research will be, the higher their ranking will be, the better reputation they will get, and the easier they can get a lot of MS students. The purpose for the MS program is also simple: preparing the MS students for the job marketing. So the MS courses are totally different with PhD courses, and are much easier. This is well known by all of top schools. So if you aim at applying to another PhD program afterward, those MS program almost can not help you at all, unless you take the PhD courses instead of MS courses, which is allowed by most of programs. However, since PhD courses are much harder, they will cost you most of time. Therefore, you may not have enough time to find a job because job hunting also requires a lot time. So if you want to apply to the PhD program afterward, my suggestion is that going to a school which has a better PhD program and taking PhD courses. Make sure they allow this first and work hard to survive. For those who want a job after getting the MS degree, it's better to ask the current or graduated students of those program directly because they have the first hand information. It's should not be too difficult since they enroll a lot of students every year. At least, congratulations to those who get admitted. Although they enroll a lot of students, they rejected even more. So be confident, be wise and good luck to you all!

I was accepted by Columbia MS in OR, too. It says "the academic department will notify you if you have been awarded departmental financial assistance"

Has anyone been awarded? or anyone know how this process works? I am in no financial condition to attend unless tuition is waived...

I've been accepted to (for MS):

UW- Madison Industrial & Systems - OR concentration

Penn State - IE/OR dual masters

USC - OR Engineering

Northeastern - OR

UW - Seattle - IE

(still waiting on purdue)

Which do you think I should go with? I'm strongly leaning towards Madison, does anyone have any opinion? I didn't get financial aid offers from any. Attack of the loans!

I saw a lot of posts asking to compare some MS programs in top schools. I just want to give my opinions. First, let me talk about the aim of those MS programs in top schools. Every MS program enroll a lot of students every year and some could be as many as 200+. The reason is simple: they need to make money, especially when the economy is bad. I describe it as a circle. The more students they enroll, the more money they will earn, the more support can give to their PhD program, the better their research will be, the higher their ranking will be, the better reputation they will get, and the easier they can get a lot of MS students. The purpose for the MS program is also simple: preparing the MS students for the job marketing. So the MS courses are totally different with PhD courses, and are much easier. This is well known by all of top schools. So if you aim at applying to another PhD program afterward, those MS program almost can not help you at all, unless you take the PhD courses instead of MS courses, which is allowed by most of programs. However, since PhD courses are much harder, they will cost you most of time. Therefore, you may not have enough time to find a job because job hunting also requires a lot time. So if you want to apply to the PhD program afterward, my suggestion is that going to a school which has a better PhD program and taking PhD courses. Make sure they allow this first and work hard to survive. For those who want a job after getting the MS degree, it's better to ask the current or graduated students of those program directly because they have the first hand information. It's should not be too difficult since they enroll a lot of students every year. At least, congratulations to those who get admitted. Although they enroll a lot of students, they rejected even more. So be confident, be wise and good luck to you all!
It helps, thank you!

so seems like columbia admits a lot of students this year ..

what do you guys think of columbia MS program?

I also got the admission from MSOR Columbia. I will not go there, because I think this program is prepared for the guys who want to find a job after one-year MS study. But my ultimate goal is to get a teaching position. And during this period, the international students can hardly find a good job in USA because of the financial crisis. Besides, I have heard that the PhD program of IEOR at Columbia seldom admits students who graduated from the MSOR program Columbia.

Just my opinions.