Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked this link, and my status is still submited. Do you have the same status?

On the left side of "Sumbitted" there is "Fall 2009".

Go into that, type your password, then press "Continue".

Dear friends,

Until now, I just received the admission from Columbia MS program without funding and offer from Ohio State University PhD program with full funding.

Could you give me some suggestions about where I should go?

The tuition and living expense of Columbia is too much for my family. And lots of persons told me that Columbia IEOR program is just focus on earning money and send out so many admission letters without funding. But Columbia is indeed better than OSU in every aspect.

I don't know how to choose.

Please give me some suggestion. Thank you very much!

Dear friends,

Until now, I just received the admission from Columbia MS program without funding and offer from Ohio State University PhD program with full funding.

The tuition and living expense of Columbia is too much for my family. And lots of persons told me that Columbia IEOR program is just focus on earning money and send out so many admission letters without funding. But Columbia is indeed better than OSU in every aspect.

It's totally up to your ultimate goal.

If you have a plan to study IE/OR in Ph.D. level and to take teaching position, go to the ivy league school.

After getting MS there, you will have much broader opportunity to get admissions for Ph.D. of more prestigious school such as MIT, Stanford, etc.

However if your goal is just to get a job after any graduate degree, OSU would be better for you.

In this global financial crisis, the financial aid from OSU is very precious opportunity.

In my opinion, Columbia is not better than OSU in every aspect.

For any graduate student, money rules!

My career goal is getting a teaching position.

I know maybe going to Columbia is the wise deicison. But I have to take time to think, because I can not promise I will be admitted to another top universty after graduation from Columbia. And the tuition is so expensive.

Thank you, the guys who answer my question and send me a message.

TO zkdhtm, in what aspect, you think columbia is not better than OSU? Curious about that. :D

does anyone hear from Gatech?

Is it a good idea to ask whether or not you are on the top of a waitlist?

Thanks!!

I contacted Gatech early this week. They said my application is still under review.

I guess they started reviewing the applications later than other universities because their deadline was Feb 15.

They just gave responses to students who submitted very early. In my opinion, they do not have a waitlist for now...

Dear friends,

Hello, mar.

Do you mind sharing your academic background? I hope to know how much chance I have to receive financial aid from Ohio State University.

PH

My career goal is getting a teaching position.

I know maybe going to Columbia is the wise deicison. But I have to take time to think, because I can not promise I will be admitted to another top universty after graduation from Columbia. And the tuition is so expensive.

Thank you, the guys who answer my question and send me a message.

TO zkdhtm, in what aspect, you think columbia is not better than OSU? Curious about that. :D

To mar

It's because they'd like to pay you!

:)

I've got admitted to MS program of IOE at UMich, and MS program of IEOR at Columbia.

Now I wondered which would be better for me. It seems that Columbia is very good at finance related fields, it is in NY City, while the program lasts only 2 semesters and the tuition and living expense are really costly.

On the other hand UMich has comprehensive research areas in IE, tuition is comparably low, and the program might last longer?

Also, right now I'm not sure whether I will go for a phd degree.

So any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything from Cornell or Purdue?

I emailed Cornell yesterday and got informed that they are still making decision and my decision might not be made until early April....

Cornell said the same thing to me when I contacted them two weeks ago. I guess they are waiting to see the responses of students who already got accepted.

or may be they are lazy to send the rejects :) honestly, I have not seen any rejects from Cornell PhD so far...

I've got admitted to MS program of IOE at UMich, and MS program of IEOR at Columbia.

Now I wondered which would be better for me. It seems that Columbia is very good at finance related fields, it is in NY City, while the program lasts only 2 semesters and the tuition and living expense are really costly.

On the other hand UMich has comprehensive research areas in IE, tuition is comparably low, and the program might last longer?

Also, right now I'm not sure whether I will go for a phd degree.

So any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Both enroll lots of kids each year, more than 200.. The living expense in Michigan is relatively low. But so is the number of jobs posted....

Just got into GaTech. It is true that you get two packets when accepted: one from admissions and one from the department. On the website it said that the decision had been made and there was a footnote that two packets were being sent my way.

Just got into GaTech. It is true that you get two packets when accepted: one from admissions and one from the department. On the website it said that the decision had been made and there was a footnote that two packets were being sent my way.

Wow. Congratulations. Did they email you or you learned by chance when you checked the website?

I just checked mine- it says no decision has been made.

You are probably still thinking which one to choose. Are you leaning towards Cornell or Gatech?