Parental leave of absence during a Ph.D. program

PsyHike

Hello everyone,

I received an acceptance offer to a Ph.D. program that I may attend (still waiting for answers from others). I am an older applicant, so I'm trying to understand how my life will look like in the next 5–7 years. I will most likely have a child during that time, so I sent a question to the admissions office re leave of absence, specifically maternity leave. Their answer included a referral to the standard medical leave of absence form (that does not mention the length of a possible leave), as well as a referral to speak with my advisor and professors, and: "Although absence is understandable, professor can penalize your grade or fail you after two absences in one course. If you must take a prolonged leave of absence, your plan of study must be adjusted and your year of graduation changes."

So what I would like to know is if the school even considers a maternity leave during the Ph.D. program as an option. There are Title IX rights, of course, but I would like to go through the process peacefully, if possible, when it comes to it. Should I reach out to my potential advisor with this question? Should I ask her for referrals to students who have become parents during the degree (if they know of such students at all)? 

I appreciate any and all advice. Just trying to understand if this program is willing to work with me while I complete my degree.

Thanks!

Maternity leave may very well push back your graduation simply for that fact you may not accrue enough clinical hours to be competitive for internship. Legally, you have certain rights. However, that doesn't always mean that the program will be the most supportive. One woman in my program had a baby during and was able to Skype into classes while out on leave (however, practicum hours were something she was nervous about because you can't Skype into that). So, I've seen my program be accommodating, but that doesn't mean that every program will be. 

27 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Maternity leave may very well push back your graduation simply for that fact you may not accrue enough clinical hours to be competitive for internship. Legally, you have certain rights. However, that doesn't always mean that the program will be the most supportive. One woman in my program had a baby during and was able to Skype into classes while out on leave (however, practicum hours were something she was nervous about because you can't Skype into that). So, I've seen my program be accommodating, but that doesn't mean that every program will be. 

I fully understand that maternity can push back my graduation and plan to graduate perhaps later than my original cohort. Honestly I prefer to take several months completely off rather than Skype into classes when my brain is a sleep-deprived, mangled mess. It is, of course, a personal preference. Would you say it's better to ask the potential advisor about students who have been in the same boat (again, I'm not even sure if they will know such students)? The program did not provide students' info separately, so the other option is to find current students on LinkedIn and cold email them.

20 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Why not reach out to the program director or DCT (if clinical)? They might be more familiar with how past students have handled parental leave. 

I will do that if necessary. First I wanted to hear the collective wisdom on the subject :)

Is the maternity leave policy going to impact your decision to accept this offer? If yes, I would reach out to the DCT or program director. If not, I would wait until you get on campus and build relationships/get a better feel for the program to find out how to talk to about this. I'm a bit older to, and my plan is to wait until final on-site year or internship year depending on how far along my dissertation is. But I am prioritizing finishing and getting into the job market with a real salary over growing my family, and my husband is on board. 

49 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Is the maternity leave policy going to impact your decision to accept this offer? If yes, I would reach out to the DCT or program director. If not, I would wait until you get on campus and build relationships/get a better feel for the program to find out how to talk to about this. I'm a bit older to, and my plan is to wait until final on-site year or internship year depending on how far along my dissertation is. But I am prioritizing finishing and getting into the job market with a real salary over growing my family, and my husband is on board. 

Thanks for the advice! Obviously it’s a personal decision, I wish you luck in your process!

Check the program's handbook, there might be a section for leave of absence. Most of the handbooks I've read have said student's are allowed to take a semester off under special circumstances. I would think a pregnancy would fall under there. I agree with the above comments to reach out to the DCT, wishing you the best of luck!!