What should I say in the first few emails to my PhD advisor other than thank you?

Ken5566

I have just made up my mind and decided which university I’d attend for my PhD studies.  For some reason, I’m a bit apprehensive and nervous about emailing my advisor.

What should I say in my first few emails other than thank you? Should I ask about anything to prepare in advance? Should I ask her anything? 

I am a Humanities major and this PhD offer means the world to me. I really dont want to mess this up... 

I personally feel that a 'thank you and look forward to working with you' mail is more than enough.

I can totally relate to where you are coming from. When I valued something too much, I would also spend a lot of time trying to come up with something really nice, but overtime I have realized that a simple email with no extra information is really the best response in such situations.  

• 1 month later...

Ask her what you can do to prepare before officially starting your first semester. For instance, is there a lab manual you can read/study? (If you are in Humanities, this might not necessarily apply). What books/papers does she recommend? 

Maybe also send her a shared document where you have some ideas/research topics on what you'd want to study and pursue during grad school. True appreciation comes with a sign of sweat showing that you're actually putting in the work. 

If you want to get a leg up on the work, you can always ask your adviser to send you relevant articles or previous research. 

Other than that, just keep it simple with the fact that you're excited to work with them, looking forward to starting, etc. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 12:30 PM, Ken5566 said:

I have just made up my mind and decided which university I’d attend for my PhD studies.  For some reason, I’m a bit apprehensive and nervous about emailing my advisor.

What should I say in my first few emails other than thank you? Should I ask about anything to prepare in advance? Should I ask her anything? 

I am a Humanities major and this PhD offer means the world to me. I really dont want to mess this up... 

May I ask what you ended up writing? I am in a similar position and have been labouring over what to say... I've been looking up examples, but there isn't much advice for what to say once you have been accepted. ? 

I think just saying thank you and that you're grateful for this opportunity is fine. And that you're looking forward to working with them.

It's more than enough in my opinion. Don't overthink it ? (easier said than done, but truthfully, I think it's fine!)