Boston Schools 2020

I interviewed at all 3 as well and personally was most impressed with BU. I felt like I gained a lot of information from all of the current grad students that were there to talk and I enjoyed interviewing with the two faculty members I was with!

17 minutes ago, MassSLPwannabe said:

Did you guys send thank you emails? I didn't get contact info during the interview but I found some of the professors emails online

I didn't and I don't think I am going to.

Also, I agree about Emerson in terms of lacking in their facilities in comparison to NEU or BU but I got really good vibes from the professors who interviewed me at Emerson. 

I only had one professor interview me at NEU and she was super nice as well.

I liked my BU one but found everything to be a little overwhelming and some of the questions the interviewers asked caught me off guard. The current grad students were super nice (but also seemed stressed out, but I went towards the end of the day so maybe they were just tired??).

Anyway, I guess now we just wait lol!

Edited by littlet4lks

At the end of my BU interview the professors said I would hear back in 1-2 weeks. Did anyone get a timeline from either of the other schools? I'm going to be a ball of stress during this entire waiting period. 

15 hours ago, littlet4lks said:

The current grad students were super nice (but also seemed stressed out, but I went towards the end of the day so maybe they were just tired??)

I'm finishing up my last semester of grad school (not at BU) and just had to smile at this. Not to scare you or anything, but stressed out and tired is the name of the game in grad school! I wouldn't say it reflects negatively on BU. 

1 hour ago, bibliophile222 said:

I'm finishing up my last semester of grad school (not at BU) and just had to smile at this. Not to scare you or anything, but stressed out and tired is the name of the game in grad school! I wouldn't say it reflects negatively on BU. 

Haha good point!

I interviewed at BU this past weekend. I flew in from South Bend, IN. Boston is beautiful and I love the big city. What scares me about going to BU is the commute/travel of getting around in Boston and the cost of living. Does anybody live in Boston that can expand on this?

I really liked the program, however, I felt that they introduced their clinic and talked to us like we didn't know how clinicals work. My impression is that many students have never done clinical in undergrad and I have already had a patient, written POC's every week, gotten feedback from a supervisor watching my videos, and written SOAP notes for my patient. While it is great to be ahead and go in knowing what I'm doing, it made me worry that I might be bored. I don't know, just got me thinking about if this is the best program for me.

Other than that, the research opportunities are wonderful. I have done research in neuroscience and have published work, so the amount of research I can be involved in excites me!

1 hour ago, amanda_rensch said:

I interviewed at BU this past weekend. I flew in from South Bend, IN. Boston is beautiful and I love the big city. What scares me about going to BU is the commute/travel of getting around in Boston and the cost of living. Does anybody live in Boston that can expand on this?

I really liked the program, however, I felt that they introduced their clinic and talked to us like we didn't know how clinicals work. My impression is that many students have never done clinical in undergrad and I have already had a patient, written POC's every week, gotten feedback from a supervisor watching my videos, and written SOAP notes for my patient. While it is great to be ahead and go in knowing what I'm doing, it made me worry that I might be bored. I don't know, just got me thinking about if this is the best program for me.

Other than that, the research opportunities are wonderful. I have done research in neuroscience and have published work, so the amount of research I can be involved in excites me!

I also got to be an undergrad clinician and have a client last semester, so I have experience with clinic and clinical writing. I think they explained it like that because there are going to be students coming into this field/program who have backgrounds outside of SLP. If anything, I think having the experience you have will be an asset because it will be less of a learning curve for you. 

3 hours ago, amanda_rensch said:

I grew up in the suburbs of Boston and I currently live in Boston. As far as cost of living, it is pretty expensive. I live with 3 roommates in Brighton and we each pay around 830 per person, not with utilities. I think those prices are pretty average for popular cities. There is affordable housing, you just have to have roommates, and be willing to take the train for 30 mins to get downtown. As far as getting around, there is the subway( The T) and BU is right on the green line. There are also a lot of bus lines. It seems like they try and accommodate if you want a clinical placement accessible by public transport, but I guess its not a guarantee. With any big city, with a big traffic problem, its just important to give yourself time to get places.

14 hours ago, littlet4lks said:

Me too. I'm kinda upset about it tbh but I'll get over it. 

I got accepted to BU, and will most likely not accept and attend, so hopefully my spot can be reserved for you! Wishing you the best of luck!