Princeton?!

Fellow Princeton (English) admits, I have so many questions. First, when I was considering applying last fall, a grad student in the department told me they offer six years of funding, not five. My fellowship offer though is for five years. Is that sixth year in play at all? Or am I just misremembering what she said? Perhaps it's more like the sixth year is available should one need it, but simply not guaranteed as part of the written offer? Wondering if any of you have insight on this. Second, does anyone know anything about the Centennial Fellowship at Princeton? It's been offered to me, and I'm so pleased, but I'm also curious about it since I have been given very little context (other than the financial details). Anyone know anything about it?

Edited by Rani13

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm a current grad student at Princeton. Princeton only guarantees five years of funding, but there are many funding opportunities for year 6 and beyond. Info on the Centennial Fellowship can be found here https://gradschool.princeton.edu/costs-funding/definitions Fellowships given outside of the English Dept. typically mean more money added to your base stipend. 

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I got this in an email: "Monday, March 30, 2020-Wednesday, April 1, 2020". AAAAGGGGH CONFLICTS WITH HARVARD.

You'd think that they would make sure to avoid a Princeton/Harvard overlap! Or for that matter, Harvard/Yale, Princeton/Yale, Harvard/Chicago... 

6 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

You'd think that they would make sure to avoid a Princeton/Harvard overlap! Or for that matter, Harvard/Yale, Princeton/Yale, Harvard/Chicago... 

to be fair the email says (from princeton) that the 1st is "essentially a departure day" for students.....so if the 1st for harvard is "essentially an arrival day" and doesn't have things starting at like 9 am (which we would know if either of these places had a schedule but ofc they do not!!!!) then maybe it will work but :) TBD !!! I'm going insane.

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

to be fair the email says (from princeton) that the 1st is "essentially a departure day" for students.....so if the 1st for harvard is "essentially an arrival day" and doesn't have things starting at like 9 am (which we would know if either of these places had a schedule but ofc they do not!!!!) then maybe it will work but :) TBD !!! I'm going insane.

@ princeton u gonna pay for meghan_sparkle's business-class Acela Express ticket to boston or what 

2 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

im not going unless im carried there

lol my first thought when reading this post was that you would travel in an elegant litter, like an ancient monarch.

13 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

lol my first thought when reading this post was that you would travel in an elegant litter, like an ancient monarch.

@ harvard you're made of money, right? 

carry meghan_sparkle into cambridge on a litter, the curtains richly embroidered with gold

8 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

STOPPPPPP 

"hey, why is there a large number of richly embroidered litters arising from all major streets and the T station to converge on harvard yard?" 

"oh the english department decided that's the only approved form of transportation this year for the new grad students. I guess they really want a 100% yield this year"