Keough School Global Affairs 2020

NikkiG

5 hours ago, peonyinluv said:

Received my offer today, they’re providing $37,450 per year (letter said yearly tuition and fees are $57,522). 

My stats:

• Undergrad at a big state school, majors were Anthropology, History, Ethnic Studies 

• Cumulative GPA 3.93

• GRE 166 V 161 Q 4.5 AWA

• Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (East Africa) 

• Additional year working abroad at a nonprofit in the same country as my Peace Corps service 

Hope you all hear back soon, good luck to everyone! 

Congratulations! ????

15 hours ago, tami23 said:

i applied for International Peace Studies and was admitted

When did you hear about being admitted?  and...CONGRATS!

9 hours ago, KOTO said:

When did you hear about being admitted?  and...CONGRATS!

Thanks, On the 8th, was interviewed on the 5th. Notre Dame letter came on Monday 17th. I was awarded full tuition and stipend as with all IPS students. I am from Zimbabwe and did my underegrad there. 2 and a half years work experience in US and Zimbabwe, Good luck everyone

Edited by tami23

On 3/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, Twesiime said:

elor on March 5th, she mentioned that we should hear something in the next "two or three weeks" - three weeks after March 5th is March 26th, so if we have heard nothing by that point I will email her again to inquire about where they are in the process.  

I would also guess that the coronavirus pande

I emailed Jody yesterday and she said the virus has not impacted decisions at all and that everyone should hear back by this week or next. 

14 hours ago, tami23 said:

Thanks, On the 8th, was interviewed on the 5th. Notre Dame letter came on Monday 17th. I was awarded full tuition and stipend as with all IPS students. I am from Zimbabwe and did my underegrad there. 2 and a half years work experience in US and Zimbabwe, Good luck everyone

Thanks so much for your response.  Not sure if I should hold out any hope...BUT, I am truly happy for you!  Sounds like you are going to be an amazing addition to the program.  Peace to you all in these crazy times.  Now, more than ever is a time for solidarity.

Hey all,

I also emailed Jody because I was very anxious and saw a reddit post to email so I did. She said that they are working to release all decisions this week...since it's Thursday night where I am, I'm not sure she means like tomorrow, Friday - Sunday or the week after. Best of luck to everyone whether it is sooner or later!

Received my rejection this afternoon at 4:02 PM. Had a feeling it was leaning this way but was honestly a long shot for me since I want to focus more on human rights than global affairs! Slightly disappointed but I knew this probably wasn’t the school for me and I’m very happy and comfortable with my choice :) Congrats to all who were admitted! 

Received a rejection too, citing high competition in my choice of concentration: Sustainable Dev. I already hv an MBA, maybe i shd try applying for a PhD now. All the best guys in your study journeys. Its bn great waiting here with all of you. Thank you!?? 

Hello all - sorry this took me some time to get here to share my results.

I am sad to say that I received my rejection letter for the MGA + Specialization degree on Saturday, 21st March. I was hopeful to get into this program, but I guess it was just not my year.

Below are my basic stats for anyone considering applying:

* Undergrad at a high ranked US liberal arts college - majors Anthropology, Theology, Philosophy, GPA 3.5

* Masters degree from US state university in Monitoring and Evaluation emphasizing international development M&E, GPA 3.5

* GRE: 168 V, 150 Q, 5 AWA

* I work in M&E consulting and program management in the education sector; I have worked abut 8 years internationally 

* Speak three languages

Generally, I think that I had good "fit" with the program, so I am a bit confused as to why I was not accepted. But here is my speculation about their decision:

1. I think my SoP was not as strong as it should have been.

2. Maybe they are not interested in accepting people who already have a master's degree?

3. Maybe my GPA and GRE Quant scores were not up to the level they wanted?

4. Maybe the specialization I was interested in was not fitting for the current course offering/faculty?

5. Maybe they had a very large applicant pool for the MGA+ concentration and I just did not make the cut?

Anyway, the above are only my guesswork. I am considering applying again, and I plan to email the admissions staff today/soon to ask if they have any advice for me on how to improve my application for the next cycle. I will share any advice I get here. 

For future applicants - based on what I can tell  from the few data points we have over the past three years, it looks like ND typically releases acceptances early March (1st to 10th or so), and then rejections after in mid-March (10th - 22nd or so). We do not have much information about waitlisting at the moment, but someone in the '19/'20 cycle said they were waitlisted on 18th March.

So, congrats to all who were admitted! And to all of you, thank you all for sharing this journey - blessings and prayers for your next steps.

Another note for future applicants - I emailed the admissions coordinator to see if I could get any feedback on my rejected application. I received this reply:

"Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback on specific applications. Every year we receive numerous qualified applications such that we are unable to offer admission to all of them. Just this year we received more than 400 applications for 35-40 seats. Due to the large number of applications received from highly qualified people, and given the limits of our financial resources and space in the program, we are forced to turn away many excellent students every year. "

A fairly boilerplate response, but it shows that they do not provide feedback on specific applications as of now. Also, their acceptance rate seems to be something like 7-9% if they have approximately 425 applications for 35-40 seats. It is not clear what percentage of the accepted people get any funding, let alone full funding.

Waitlisted on 3/18 for MGA +  Specialization .  Said I would have a final decision by mid-April, for someone who was admitted to the program - what is your deadline to decide?  The other programs I have been admitted to all have a deadline of 4/15, I am hoping to hear before then and with enough time to make a responsible decision.  Not sure how much (if any) funding would be left over for a waitlist admittance.  

Edited by wonkytonkgurl