Portland State MSW Fall 2020

moo!

Who else has applied to this program for Fall of 2020? I applied for the 2-year Portland campus option. It seems that even though their email said to expect 6-8 weeks, in past years decisions didn't go out until around mid-March. This is my top choice but I know it's a competitive program!!

Edited by moo!

20 hours ago, moo! said:

Who else has applied to this program for Fall of 2020? I applied for the 2-year Portland campus option. It seems that even though their email said to expect 6-8 weeks, in past years decisions didn't go out until around mid-March. This is my top choice but I know it's a competitive program!!

Hey! I applied for Fall 2020 as well. And yes totally a competitive program, weirdly it's not as high ranked as some programs but has a lower acceptance rate? I think because it's truly the only option in Oregon and fairly inexpensive. I talked to one of the admissions folks and usually decisions get released around March 15th but since they come out late usually we need to let them know my April 1st so like two weeks to decide. I just hope I hear from UW by then as well.

2 hours ago, PDXmsw said:

Hey! I applied for Fall 2020 as well. And yes totally a competitive program, weirdly it's not as high ranked as some programs but has a lower acceptance rate? I think because it's truly the only option in Oregon and fairly inexpensive. I talked to one of the admissions folks and usually decisions get released around March 15th but since they come out late usually we need to let them know my April 1st so like two weeks to decide. I just hope I hear from UW by then as well.

I know! I think you’re correct. Ugh that’s so late for decisions! I’ll also be waiting to hear back from UW, though Portland State is much higher on my list. Where else did you apply? In addition to UW and Portland, I applied to Lewis & Clark (clinical mental health counseling) and University of Montana (MSW).

21 hours ago, moo! said:

I know! I think you’re correct. Ugh that’s so late for decisions! I’ll also be waiting to hear back from UW, though Portland State is much higher on my list. Where else did you apply? In addition to UW and Portland, I applied to Lewis & Clark (clinical mental health counseling) and University of Montana (MSW).

I’m pretty conflicted with UW and PSU. I’m hoping for UW because  I think id enjoy a move out of Portland. But the in state price of PSU is so appealing! And that’s awesome!!! I work at Lewis & Clark right now as a staff member, the CMH program is amazing! I applied to NYU, Columbia, and University or Denver - accepted to all of them currently. But also applied and am waiting decisions from U Chicago, PSU, and UW. I don’t think I’ll attend NYU. I’m waiting to hear about an assistantship at Columbia which would make it a more viable option cost wise. University of Denver, with the aid I received, would be a similar price or slightly lower than UW so it’s definitely in the running. So some options which is great but truly waiting on UW and PSU. More info than you asked for lol so sorry! Have you hear about LC interviews? 

1 hour ago, PDXmsw said:

I’m pretty conflicted with UW and PSU. I’m hoping for UW because  I think id enjoy a move out of Portland. But the in state price of PSU is so appealing! And that’s awesome!!! I work at Lewis & Clark right now as a staff member, the CMH program is amazing! I applied to NYU, Columbia, and University or Denver - accepted to all of them currently. But also applied and am waiting decisions from U Chicago, PSU, and UW. I don’t think I’ll attend NYU. I’m waiting to hear about an assistantship at Columbia which would make it a more viable option cost wise. University of Denver, with the aid I received, would be a similar price or slightly lower than UW so it’s definitely in the running. So some options which is great but truly waiting on UW and PSU. More info than you asked for lol so sorry! Have you hear about LC interviews? 

Yay that’s great! You have so many good options to choose from! That would be awesome if you could get an Assistantship from Columbia- NYC is great but cost of living is absurd. I’m more hoping for PSU because I recently lived in Seattle and really want to give Portland a go. Some of my closest friends are in Portland and I feel like it’s a good fit for me. And yes, I actually have my Lewis & Clark interview tomorrow! Eek! I’m really hoping they’ll give our decisions soon after the interview. I’m happy to hear you have good things to say about the CMH program. I’m excited to see how I feel about it after tomorrow. 

14 minutes ago, moo! said:

Yay that’s great! You have so many good options to choose from! That would be awesome if you could get an Assistantship from Columbia- NYC is great but cost of living is absurd. I’m more hoping for PSU because I recently lived in Seattle and really want to give Portland a go. Some of my closest friends are in Portland and I feel like it’s a good fit for me. And yes, I actually have my Lewis & Clark interview tomorrow! Eek! I’m really hoping they’ll give our decisions soon after the interview. I’m happy to hear you have good things to say about the CMH program. I’m excited to see how I feel about it after tomorrow. 

Haha seems like we might switch places! I have been in Portland for a few years now and love it but have friends in Seattle and am ready for a change of pace. But we will see what ends up happening, PSU is awesome and PDX is more affordable in general. Good luck tomorrow!!!! You'll be great. I do not know a ton about admission but I've been told decisions usually start going out around early April but I hope they're sooner in your case!

Hi all,

I applied to this program for Fall 2020 but I don't know all too much about it. Does anyone have any connections to current students or alumni who would be able to answer programmatic questions?? I'm weighing it against some other options (for context, University of Washington, San Diego State, and University of Hawaii if anyone has information on those as well).

Thanks!

Edited by Yes hello

Hey all, 

I just received an e-mail today from Portland State informing me that I'm on the alternate wait list for the advanced standing option. 

Anyone else receive results or have any info about the wait list? I'm trying to stay optimistic.. 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, Yes hello said:

Hi all,

I applied to this program for Fall 2020 but I don't know all too much about it. Does anyone have any connections to current students or alumni who would be able to answer programmatic questions?? I'm weighing it against some other options (for context, University of Washington, San Diego State, and University of Hawaii if anyone has information on those as well).

Thanks!

Hey! The Program is the best in Oregon for social work. PDX is fairly affordable comparatively to other cities, unsure about those in Hawaii but for sure cheaper than Seattle and most likely SD. I know a few faculty in the program and they're very strong in clinical practice for families and youth. As well as their macro faculty is very strong. I recommend reaching out to Admissions, they connected me to more faculty and are super knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful.

3 hours ago, PDXmsw said:

Hey! The Program is the best in Oregon for social work. PDX is fairly affordable comparatively to other cities, unsure about those in Hawaii but for sure cheaper than Seattle and most likely SD. I know a few faculty in the program and they're very strong in clinical practice for families and youth. As well as their macro faculty is very strong. I recommend reaching out to Admissions, they connected me to more faculty and are super knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful.

This is fantastic information thank you! I will try reaching out to admissions. Do you happen to know how much their clinical training focuses on evidence-based practices, especially for youth/families? (i.e. CBT for children/adolescents, DBT, Motivational Interviewing, etc).

On 2/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, moo! said:

Hey there, I had my interview at Lewis & Clark on Saturday, have you heard anything back yet?

On 3/2/2020 at 3:12 PM, Yes hello said:

This is fantastic information thank you! I will try reaching out to admissions. Do you happen to know how much their clinical training focuses on evidence-based practices, especially for youth/families? (i.e. CBT for children/adolescents, DBT, Motivational Interviewing, etc).

Hey! I’m not sure. I hear PSU has a mixed strength of macro and micro. I’d definitely ask admissions more about it. My general take though is if you want to focus on this you might be better suited to doing a counseling degree. I have a friend who did her MFT and the clinic she’s at now has social workers and counselors. They’re always joking how the counselors want a more macro systems lens like the social workers and the social workers want more grounded theory but effectively are doing the same thing. I definitely think you’ll be more methods like that and deeper dives in counseling but clinical does touch on it! Food for thought in decision making. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:43 AM, mrrobotto said:

Hey there, I had my interview at Lewis & Clark on Saturday, have you heard anything back yet?

Hi! They told my group they’d be waiting until they finish interviews (the last interviews are March 20th) to send out decisions. As I understood it, this won’t be until late March or Early April sadly!

On 3/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, moo! said:

Hi! They told my group they’d be waiting until they finish interviews (the last interviews are March 20th) to send out decisions. As I understood it, this won’t be until late March or Early April sadly!

Did you apply for the clinical mental health program of the MCFT?

10 hours ago, mrrobotto said:

Did you apply for the clinical mental health program of the MCFT?

I applied to the Professional Mental Health Counseling Program. What about you? 

15 hours ago, mrrobotto said:

Oh okay, different program. I applied for the marriage, couple, and family therapy program. The interview was so intense.

Oh dang! Intense in what way? I didn’t feel that the PMHC interview was too intense luckily, but stressful nonetheless! 

Hey! Was just wondering about how many people were at your interview? I had to do a virtual interview, as I am on the East coast. Trying to gauge how competitive the program is since I couldn’t find an annual report for them online.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, moo! said:

Oh dang! Intense in what way? I didn’t feel that the PMHC interview was too intense luckily, but stressful nonetheless! 

2 hours ago, beeze96 said:

Hey! Was just wondering about how many people were at your interview? I had to do a virtual interview, as I am on the East coast. Trying to gauge how competitive the program is since I couldn’t find an annual report for them online.

Hey :) I attended the Lewis & Clark PMHC interview on Tuesday and there were 12 people in our group interview. I can imagine that coronavirus might also impact numbers for in person interviews!

Hey! I applied to PSU for their part time program, I live in NY but I fell in love with Oregon. Since I am not from Oregon I did not realize it was so competitive.  I vaguely remember reading something that they accept 1 of every 3 applicants?

I applied to MSU Denver as well. I am waiting to hear back from Portland and Denver, I hate that they let us know so late! I found out from two schools in NY in January! 

13 hours ago, Sage94 said:

Hey :) I attended the Lewis & Clark PMHC interview on Tuesday and there were 12 people in our group interview. I can imagine that coronavirus might also impact numbers for in person interviews!

Thanks for the response! Were you with the addictions folks as well?

17 hours ago, Sage94 said:

So for the one I attended (Feb 28) there were 11 or 12 people. It sounds like that’s a standard size so if they have 6 interview sessions that means they’re interviewing 72 applicants in person. But idk how many virtual interviews they’re doing! I’m also very curious about admittance rates. 

13 hours ago, Carolina310 said:

Hey! I applied to PSU for their part time program, I live in NY but I fell in love with Oregon. Since I am not from Oregon I did not realize it was so competitive.  I vaguely remember reading something that they accept 1 of every 3 applicants?

I applied to MSU Denver as well. I am waiting to hear back from Portland and Denver, I hate that they let us know so late! I found out from two schools in NY in January! 

I know, I really wish it wasn’t so late either. I was also told the 1 in 3 number. Quite competitive! 

I've heard 1 in 3 of total applications so I think getting an interview is actually the hardest part! If that's true congrats to everyone for getting this far :) While it is competitive, we also can account for some kind of yield rate given that not everyone who is offered admittance will accept. Also the interviews were for both PMHC and PMHCA which have 40 and 25 spots respectively for each program. Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I don't think the numbers are as bad as we think ?

5 hours ago, Sage94 said:

I've heard 1 in 3 of total applications so I think getting an interview is actually the hardest part! If that's true congrats to everyone for getting this far :) While it is competitive, we also can account for some kind of yield rate given that not everyone who is offered admittance will accept. Also the interviews were for both PMHC and PMHCA which have 40 and 25 spots respectively for each program. Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I don't think the numbers are as bad as we think ?

Thanks so much for the useful information! Seeing as there’s only 25 spots for PMHCA I am now super nervous. ? Were there a lot of people in your interview for that? Or did they not even ask you guys to specify?