Portland State MSW Fall 2020

moo!

7 hours ago, alyssapdx said:

Stillllll waiting to hear back for the two year program. I’ve never been so nervous, I feel like I’m the last person to hear back!

Last fall they had a class that was open enrollment to people outside of the program as well, so I took it to check things out. It was great! I’ve never felt like I fit in somewhere so well.

Ugh the waiting game is the hardest! What class did you take? What made you feel like you fit in so well? I’m in the decision making process and would love to hear your take! 

3 minutes ago, moo! said:

Wow congrats!! I didn’t think they’d be sending out acceptances this soon! Did they tell you which cohort they accepted you to? What programs are you deciding between??

Thank you!! The email came by complete surprise as I told myself not even to think about it until next week. I'm not sure yet which track (7 or 8 semesters) but I applied to PMHC and will apply to their M.S. degree program which is 8 semesters anyways! L&C was my first choice so I gambled a bit and only applied there, so glad that worked out :)

14 minutes ago, Sage94 said:

Thank you!! The email came by complete surprise as I told myself not even to think about it until next week. I'm not sure yet which track (7 or 8 semesters) but I applied to PMHC and will apply to their M.S. degree program which is 8 semesters anyways! L&C was my first choice so I gambled a bit and only applied there, so glad that worked out :)

That’s amazing!  I hope more decisions start rolling out soon :) 

5 hours ago, moo! said:

Ugh the waiting game is the hardest! What class did you take? What made you feel like you fit in so well? I’m in the decision making process and would love to hear your take! 

The class that I took was called Mid-Life and Beyond, it was great! So often human development courses tend to trail off after adolescence, so it was nice to get an in-depth idea of what happens next and what kind of support is needed. Overall, the class felt great! The instructor was incredible, and really made an effort to get an idea of who was in the room to gauge where the material should go. We ended up with a nice balance of micro and macro level topics, and had many guest speakers (both other social work faculty, and community members). The assignments throughout the course also felt relevant and worthwhile, and flexible enough that I could really explore my own interests in the area.

I did my undergrad at Portland State in psychology with a minor in public health, with huge classes and subject matter that never quite fit what I was looking for. From my brief experience, the school of social work felt more personal, and with faculty who are both knowledgeable and passionate about the work that they're doing. The other students in the class also spoke positively about the program and their experiences.

19 hours ago, alyssapdx said:

The class that I took was called Mid-Life and Beyond, it was great! So often human development courses tend to trail off after adolescence, so it was nice to get an in-depth idea of what happens next and what kind of support is needed. Overall, the class felt great! The instructor was incredible, and really made an effort to get an idea of who was in the room to gauge where the material should go. We ended up with a nice balance of micro and macro level topics, and had many guest speakers (both other social work faculty, and community members). The assignments throughout the course also felt relevant and worthwhile, and flexible enough that I could really explore my own interests in the area.

I did my undergrad at Portland State in psychology with a minor in public health, with huge classes and subject matter that never quite fit what I was looking for. From my brief experience, the school of social work felt more personal, and with faculty who are both knowledgeable and passionate about the work that they're doing. The other students in the class also spoke positively about the program and their experiences.

That’s a really great description, thanks for sharing! One of my concerns about the program is making sure I’m learning to address issues through a micro lense as well macro, as I’ve heard others say that large university MSW programs can lean heavily on the macro side. It’s wonderful to hear that you felt it was a balanced perspective.

Edited by moo!

On 3/23/2020 at 4:53 PM, alyssapdx said:

Just received notification that I was wait listed... Not totally surprising, I don't have a ton of direct experience. Fingers crossed that something opens up, we'll see.

I’m really sorry to hear that! Fingers crossed for you :)

Hey all! I read that Portland State doesn't let you choose your practicum sites (even in the Advanced Year). Is anyone familiar with their process for how they match you to practicums then? Because my understanding from other schools I've talked to is that your match to a practicum 2nd year is a huge deal because often people end up working there after graduating while gaining licensure.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, Sage94 said:

Yes! I can imagine they'll be coming out next week :)

Hey! Have you heard of anyone else receiving a decision for the PMHC program? I'm still waiting!! ugh!

On 3/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, moo! said:

Hey! Have you heard of anyone else receiving a decision for the PMHC program? I'm still waiting!! ugh!

Sorry just saw this message! No I have not heard of anyone else yet, but that's surprising that it's taking so long! Any word yet?

1 hour ago, Sage94 said:

Sorry just saw this message! No I have not heard of anyone else yet, but that's surprising that it's taking so long! Any word yet?

Still no word! I’m losing hope. I keep wanting to call them but stop myself...

On 3/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, moo! said:

Still no word! I’m losing hope. I keep wanting to call them but stop myself...

Oh no :( I think it's totally reasonable to call them and ask when you should be expecting an admissions decision as you have other schools to respond too etc...

On 3/31/2020 at 8:59 PM, Sage94 said:

Oh no :( I think it's totally reasonable to call them and ask when you should be expecting an admissions decision as you have other schools to respond too etc...

I found out yesterday I was accepted! Woohoo! Have you heard anything about financial aid yet? 

On 4/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, moo! said:

I found out yesterday I was accepted! Woohoo! Have you heard anything about financial aid yet? 

Congratulations!! How exciting! Yes I have received my fin aid info but it came about 2-3 weeks after my admission decision. Are you leaning towards a program yet?

23 hours ago, Sage94 said:

Congratulations!! How exciting! Yes I have received my fin aid info but it came about 2-3 weeks after my admission decision. Are you leaning towards a program yet?

Thank you! I'm leaning towards PSU's MSW program right now. I think I would really love L&C's PMHC program, especially the eco-psychology option. But, I feel that for my purposes, the LCSW licensure will offer more possibilities/flexibility in terms of employment. It's a really tough decision!

Do you mind if I ask if they provided you with any non-loan scholarships/grants? Also, what did they say the base tuition/fees was?

Hey everyone! Would anyone be interested in starting a GroupMe (or some chat platform) for Fall 2020 MSW students and serious prospective students? I've seen other programs do it for admitted students but it doesn't appear that PSU does.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, bragierrnot said:

Hey everyone! Would anyone be interested in starting a GroupMe (or some chat platform) for Fall 2020 MSW students and serious prospective students? I've seen other programs do it for admitted students but it doesn't appear that PSU does.

Yes that sounds amazing! I don’t know what a GroupMe is but I’m totally down regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I applied to the 2-yr option and was put on alternate waitlist. I also put down I'd be interested in the 3 yr option, as well. Has anyone heard back about being offered a position? This waiting around is killing me!! 

16 hours ago, alyssapdx said:

I got accepted from the waitlist today! So, so, so thankful and relieved. 

Congrats! I totally just overlooked your post as I was typing mine up! What cohort / program were you accepted to?