Portland State MSW Fall 2020

moo!

22 hours ago, beeze96 said:

Thanks so much for the useful information! Seeing as there’s only 25 spots for PMHCA I am now super nervous. ? Were there a lot of people in your interview for that? Or did they not even ask you guys to specify?

I understand the nerves, I definitely have them too! In my group there was an even split (6 for each) but I would imagine the number of applicants to each program to be relatively proportional to the spots available in each one. Unfortunately, (and what I keep telling myself is) if we have been invited to interview they see potential in us to succeed in the program, after that its a puzzle for admissions to create an incoming class that is diverse and would work well as a group. So it's basically about whether we as individuals would fit in with the group at large but it's not personal(?) if that makes sense.

13 hours ago, Sage94 said:

I understand the nerves, I definitely have them too! In my group there was an even split (6 for each) but I would imagine the number of applicants to each program to be relatively proportional to the spots available in each one. Unfortunately, (and what I keep telling myself is) if we have been invited to interview they see potential in us to succeed in the program, after that its a puzzle for admissions to create an incoming class that is diverse and would work well as a group. So it's basically about whether we as individuals would fit in with the group at large but it's not personal(?) if that makes sense.

Jeez, that’s terrifying. Thanks though! And ah, did they communicate that or is that just something you’ve thought about? From what I’ve seen so far in other interviews for other institutions, it doesn’t look like these programs prioritize diversity too much.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:57 PM, moo! said:

So for the one I attended (Feb 28) there were 11 or 12 people. It sounds like that’s a standard size so if they have 6 interview sessions that means they’re interviewing 72 applicants in person. But idk how many virtual interviews they’re doing! I’m also very curious about admittance rates. 

Was it also an even split between PMHC and PMCHA in your group? At 40 and 25 spots, it’s looking like the math might not be in my favor at this point lol. And congrats on your other acceptance!

3 hours ago, beeze96 said:

Was it also an even split between PMHC and PMCHA in your group? At 40 and 25 spots, it’s looking like the math might not be in my favor at this point lol. And congrats on your other acceptance!

It was not an even split! I think that out of 12 people only 2 of them were PMCHA. And thank you!!

3 hours ago, moo! said:

It was not an even split! I think that out of 12 people only 2 of them were PMCHA. And thank you!!

Congrats on your acceptance! That's a great program and you should be proud of yourself!

7 hours ago, beeze96 said:

Jeez, that’s terrifying. Thanks though! And ah, did they communicate that or is that just something you’ve thought about? From what I’ve seen so far in other interviews for other institutions, it doesn’t look like these programs prioritize diversity too much.

Haha I get what you mean, what I meant by diversity was really diversity in our experiences and what we can bring to the table. These are programs where we learn loadsss about each other. And yes, I heard that from one of the current students during our Q&A after the group interview. They just expressed that it is a puzzle admissions has to put together, and getting in or not does not reflect your ability to be a good counselor (which I agree with!) They said sometimes you have to apply multiple times (blah I know) but if this is your goal its simply a matter of when it happens not if it will. Now back to nail biting and waiting! haha

1 hour ago, Msw2020lala said:

I just got my acceptance email a few minutes ago! Anyone know if financial aid information is available or will be sent soon? 

Yay congrats!! I just followed the steps to create an Odin account and then checked my PSU email and BanWeb page. When I go to look at my financial aid, it says that the award has not yet been posted. I'm really hoping they release financial aid info soon!!!

Two year applicant for Fall 2020. Waiting to hear from them. Does anyone know how big their cohorts usually are? I'm nervous and went this whole time not realizing it was such a competitive program. I visited their program and its probably my first choice. 

12 minutes ago, bragierrnot said:

Two year applicant for Fall 2020. Waiting to hear from them. Does anyone know how big their cohorts usually are? I'm nervous and went this whole time not realizing it was such a competitive program. I visited their program and its probably my first choice. 

I have a few friends who applied to the 2 yr program that haven’t heard anything yet, so I think that is normal (hope that makes you feel better). It seems as if they are letting people know by cohorts, for example it looks like 3 yr program people found out over the weekend, and advanced standing found out the last week or so. So I think 2 yr people should know soon! It is pretty competitive. I can’t give you an exact number, but I believe I read they admit around 100-120 people total into the Portland campus option (part time, full time, and online). Not sure how distributed that is between cohorts. 

4 minutes ago, SammieB said:

I have a few friends who applied to the 2 yr program that haven’t heard anything yet, so I think that is normal (hope that makes you feel better). It seems as if they are letting people know by cohorts, for example it looks like 3 yr program people found out over the weekend, and advanced standing found out the last week or so. So I think 2 yr people should know soon! It is pretty competitive. I can’t give you an exact number, but I believe I read they admit around 100-120 people total into the Portland campus option (part time, full time, and online). Not sure how distributed that is between cohorts. 

That fits with what other people have been saying and it does help. Thanks!

Edited by bragierrnot

5 hours ago, SammieB said:

Hey! Just curious which MSW cohort you applied for? 2 yr, 3 yr, 4 yr?

Hi! I applied for the 2 year cohort.

1 hour ago, moo! said:

Hi! I applied for the 2 year cohort.

That’s awesome! Congratulations. I applied for 3 yr and heard back yesterday that I was accepted. I was curious because I have a couple friends who applied for 2 yr and haven’t heard, so I was trying to gauge if they were doing it by cohorts, but it doesn’t seem so!

36 minutes ago, SammieB said:

That’s awesome! Congratulations. I applied for 3 yr and heard back yesterday that I was accepted. I was curious because I have a couple friends who applied for 2 yr and haven’t heard, so I was trying to gauge if they were doing it by cohorts, but it doesn’t seem so!

Woohoo! Congrats! Hmm it’s seems they’re just doing it in waves. A similar thing happened to me for UW admissions- I saw that people were hearing back for two weeks before I received my acceptance. Hopefully your friends will hear soon! 

5 hours ago, Yes hello said:

Hi all!! I received my acceptance to Portland State's 2 year program. Is anyone familiar with the best ways to find roommates/housing? Also does anyone know any current students there??

Thank you!

Congrats! I was told when I visited campus that they have on-campus housing for grad students. Just in case you didnt know that was an option

Stillllll waiting to hear back for the two year program. I’ve never been so nervous, I feel like I’m the last person to hear back!

Last fall they had a class that was open enrollment to people outside of the program as well, so I took it to check things out. It was great! I’ve never felt like I fit in somewhere so well.

20 hours ago, Sage94 said:

Just received my letter of acceptance to Lewis & Clark's Professional Mental Health Counseling Program!!

Wow congrats!! I didn’t think they’d be sending out acceptances this soon! Did they tell you which cohort they accepted you to? What programs are you deciding between??