Graduate housing or nay..

Jslay941

So for those of you like me that are newly admitted to grad programs....

Are you planning on staying in Graduate housing on campus? With or without roommates? 

Or are you going to look for suitable off campus housing?

At my program, graduate housing is more expensive than off-campus housing,  plus I have a partner and two cats that wouldn't have been welcome on campus. I would do some research on which option is cheaper. Either way, you having roommates is a great way to save money. Personally, I've had more than my share of living with roommates and plan on never doing so again, but that's just me. 

I feel graduate housing is helpful initially when you're new to campus and don't have any potential roommates. However, staying alone on campus can be challenging especially for Graduate students as it can get lonely. Which campus are you planning to go to?

• 2 months later...

Followed. I'm currently wondering the same thing. Graduate housing at my uni is on campus, furnished, washer/dryer unit, utilities included in rent... BUT you're randomly paired up with a roommate. Kind of sounds like a nightmare to me, lol. At the same time, I know I'll be lonely living on my own. It's a tough choice to make! 

I would browse listings in the area and, if possible, get in touch with current graduate students at your institution to see what they do for housing. I would also recommend making a list of the amenities that you want in a living space -- your options will be easy to narrow down from there. 

I plan on staying on campus. I lived at home for undergrad and my post bacc classes so I’m looking forward to staying on campus and immersing myself in the college experience. I also plan on finding an on campus job I can do around classes and clinical hours. Yeah it’ll be more expensive but for me it’ll help me focus. I noticed that when i’d sleep over at my friend’s dorm during undergrad. No matter what I’d have roomates and this way I can get to KNOW a group of people before I move off campus with them if I don’t end up in a single room.

I think it totally depends on the university and your own situation.  For me, I have two cats and my mother, who's a senior and can't live on her own.  While some universities have family housing, which would have worked for me, my new university doesn't have family housing.  So I'm stuck searching for an apartment at the moment. 

That being said, I would love the convenience of living on campus.  It would certainly save on transportation, and the area is so pretty!  It just wouldn't work in my situation.

• 3 weeks later...

After I was accepted and was given the information I needed to apply for housing, I found out that every on-campus option was waitlisted. I checked out some of the off campus options close by, and I saw that they costed over $1,000  month in rent- which I just think is ridiculous. So, I am open to both on-campus and off-campus options. I would prefer on-campus housing because of the price of the off-campus options I viewed, but I like the extra privacy that off-campus housing could provide. 

I actually found much cheaper off-campus options where I will be studying, so I might end up living in an off-campus house. I have done something similar before during my early undergraduate years where I stayed in a university dormitory that was literally a house. I think I can make it work if ultimately live off-campus. 

• 1 month later...

I lived two doors from campus for most of my undergrad and trust me there's no lack of student roommate (college dorm) experience if that's what you're looking for. Grad housing is often quiet and dead, and most importantly, you don't get to accrue social credit for future job/lease/financial applications as you are not taking a on-market lease. I personally think that's the biggest demerit for campus housing. 

• 1 month later...

NotNomNom makes a valid point. If you desire to build a credit history, you will want to seek off-campus housing. Having a good credit report (e.g., making on-time rent payments) will boost your credit score and give you better credit card offers. You will have more options for housing in cities with higher cost of living too.