University of Redlands SLP program

Hello!

I wanted to know more about UofR's Masters program: How is the schedule like for a grad student? How many days of the week are there classes/clinic? What kind of placements do they offer? I heard somewhere that they mostly do in house clinical hours but offer 2 52-day health/school based opportunities, is that true and is that for the full time placements? Also if anyone has received any aid from them?

Any information would be helpful!

Hi. I began my program there in fall 2015 and graduated in May 2017. I can tell you a bit about my experience there, although I'm not sure if it's changed at all. When you begin your program you receive a folder with your schedule of classes and clinics for the next two years planned out. However, you have a professor who acts as your advisor and things can be tweaked depending on your interest in children vs. adults. You will have about 6 weekly classes and 1-2 clinics each semester. Some of the clinics are in-house within the Truesdail Center - which is also where all of your classes take place. There are options for off campus clinics in school and hospital settings, but spots are limited so talk to your advisors at the very beginning. You are required to complete a medical externship in a hospital setting during the summer after your first two semesters. The last Spring semester of your graduate career is your school externship. I believe they are each 8 week long externships if my memory is correct. Both of mine were 8 hours a day and 4 days a week. I've attached two examples of schedules I had there. I received scholarships from the program based on my grades each semester. I was also a student assistant for clinics in which I gave feedback on therapy sessions and for that I was given a stipend. Good luck with the whole process and let me know if you have anymore questions. 

IMG_6546.JPG

week.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mamyarquette said:

I received scholarships from the program based on my grades each semester.

I'm curious on if you had to apply for those, and does that mean for the first semester you didn't receive any scholarships? Was it a significant portion of the tuition and was there other financial aid options(besides FAFSA)? Thank you, just trying to get a better understanding of how much it might cost

3 hours ago, Mamyarquette said:

Hi. I began my program there in fall 2015 and graduated in May 2017. I can tell you a bit about my experience there, although I'm not sure if it's changed at all. When you begin your program you receive a folder with your schedule of classes and clinics for the next two years planned out. However, you have a professor who acts as your advisor and things can be tweaked depending on your interest in children vs. adults. You will have about 6 weekly classes and 1-2 clinics each semester. Some of the clinics are in-house within the Truesdail Center - which is also where all of your classes take place. There are options for off campus clinics in school and hospital settings, but spots are limited so talk to your advisors at the very beginning. You are required to complete a medical externship in a hospital setting during the summer after your first two semesters. The last Spring semester of your graduate career is your school externship. I believe they are each 8 week long externships if my memory is correct. Both of mine were 8 hours a day and 4 days a week. I've attached two examples of schedules I had there. I received scholarships from the program based on my grades each semester. I was also a student assistant for clinics in which I gave feedback on therapy sessions and for that I was given a stipend. Good luck with the whole process and let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Thank you for all that information! Truly appreciate it!

9 hours ago, Qwerty22 said:

I'm curious on if you had to apply for those, and does that mean for the first semester you didn't receive any scholarships? Was it a significant portion of the tuition and was there other financial aid options(besides FAFSA)? Thank you, just trying to get a better understanding of how much it might cost

No, the assistance from the program was nothing I applied for and it was not a significant portion of the tuition, but everything helps! The program does have scholarships/grants that you can apply for though! I applied for different  scholarships that were not from University Of Redlands that helped out. I was one of two out of state students in my program, so I’m not sure if that affected the cost or not (some programs for out of state students are significantly higher). I also worked 25-30 hours a week (not recommend by any program) to assist with rent and tuition as much as I could. However, FAFSA is what covered most of the tuition! 

On 3/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, laurelstock said:

Can anyone who's attended talk about living situations? I would def need a roommate if I went there and would like to know how to get into contact with other students in the cohort! 

I’m from Illinois and had to fly out there a few months before to secure an apartment. I ended up getting a place at Pebblebrook Apartments (about five minutes from Truesdail Center). I lived with my boyfriend (now husband) and we split the rent. I know some of the girls in our cohort had lived together the second semester/next year after meeting each other. We had a Facebook group for our cohort so we could meet each other informally before it started! Hope this helps a bit. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 8:10 AM, Mamyarquette said:

No, the assistance from the program was nothing I applied for and it was not a significant portion of the tuition, but everything helps! The program does have scholarships/grants that you can apply for though! I applied for different  scholarships that were not from University Of Redlands that helped out. I was one of two out of state students in my program, so I’m not sure if that affected the cost or not (some programs for out of state students are significantly higher). I also worked 25-30 hours a week (not recommend by any program) to assist with rent and tuition as much as I could. However, FAFSA is what covered most of the tuition! 

Thank you for all the information!! I know you had a particular experience, but is there anyway you can share/estimate the total cost of the program that you ended up paying out of pocket/with loans? I know everyone's situation will be different, but I am just trying to get an idea of how much it will be. Redlands told me graduate students don't receive their award letters until mid May, which is not very helpful as we need to make a decision by this week.