Summer plans before staring school

bon to the jour

- working as many hours as possible at my lowly retail job

- looking for apartments (hopefully will have one picked out by the end of June)

- go on a cruise in July (!!!): this is probably be my last leisurely trip for a looooong while :lol:

- read

- write, write, and write some more

- get ready for the big move

- search for jobs in Chicago

Yay! A cruise. I think this should become the traditional pre-grad school vacation. Have fun!

I am also counting down the school days in my last months of teaching high school! This summer I have lots of reading to do, Latin to study in preparation for my language exam, a class to teach here in Charlotte before moving to a new city in August.

And yes to Ikea! I've already picked out the desk and shelves. :)

oooh...which desk did you choose? I still need to get one...

Go to San Francisco for a conference in June. The timing kinda sucks though because it's exactly in the middle of the world cup, but I pretty much have to come and present my paper. Anybody else going to CVPR? Maybe we can hang around to watch some football match together. :lol:

Yay! Summer plans! I've been planning a cruise for a couple of months now with a few friends - Bahamas HERE I COME! I'm going to catch up on a few novels I've been meaning to read. Probably go out to California to see the family before I'm stuck having to say "nope, can't come, I'm in the lab." My two next biggest tasks are planning an EPIC going away bash and telling my boss where she can stick her crappy job. tongue.gif

Coyabean: I'll also be heading out to Ikea. I discovered that they've somehow managed to compile an entire living room set (book shelves, couch and tv stand included) for under $1000. My only issues are a. figuring out where to get the $ and b. how to transport!

WHAT?!!!

I am now headed to IKEA's website. I shall blame you for any damage that is done. :D

What I'm thinking on the how to get it transported and set-up is maybe renting a guy for, like, 3 hours? Just pick it all out online and pay for it. They have it all together at IKEA when you arrive. If I rent a guy with a truck, tools and some basic mechanic skills for a few hours I figure he could pick it up, deliver it, and set it up. Yes, this is what the world has come to. A passably attractive chick must rent a man. LOL Still a better deal than buying sometimes, though. :D

And are you in Charlotte for your program?

Thanks for the input, cgking! Is it going to be difficult to move?

It's made out of real wood, so it's not super light-- but it's made out of Ikea wood, so it's not horribly heavy. I think I'll just end up getting a U-Haul and bring all my bedroom furniture (including the desk), so it'll work out. It's a nice, solid desk, and looks much more expensive than it is.

When my current position is up, I'm moving all of my stuff into my new apartment in a new city (plan is to disassemble all my Ikea furniture and pack into a Uhaul). Then vacation for a WHOLE MONTH! Vacation = being at home having my mom cook for me and going to the beach and finally putting an "Auto out of office reply" on my e-mail.

WHAT?!!!

I am now headed to IKEA's website. I shall blame you for any damage that is done. :D

What I'm thinking on the how to get it transported and set-up is maybe renting a guy for, like, 3 hours? Just pick it all out online and pay for it. They have it all together at IKEA when you arrive. If I rent a guy with a truck, tools and some basic mechanic skills for a few hours I figure he could pick it up, deliver it, and set it up. Yes, this is what the world has come to. A passably attractive chick must rent a man. LOL Still a better deal than buying sometimes, though. :D

And are you in Charlotte for your program?

I'm actually not in Charlotte for my program. I did my undergrad here at JCSU and was forced to take a year off from school, unfortunately. I'm off to Purdue in August. I don't know if the ikea website has the living room set up the way they do in the store, though. The only thing I don't like about Ikea is their couches. Do Swedish people not need cushion? What is that about.

I've been considering how to get everything transported as well. I so do not want to rent a UHAUL and cart everything to Indiana with just me and my boyfriend. That would be the longest 10 hr drive ever. (Because of the UHAUL. Not because of the boyfriend). I totally agree with you on renting a guy with a truck, too. It'd be much easier to walk into my brand new apartment and not have to unpack, assemble and move everything. Why, oh why, couldn't my life be like a cheesy 1980's coming of age film?

I'm considering this one because it's inexpensive and has drawers. http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/10133410

BionicKris: I'm in Charlotte too... didn't realize you are as well. :)

Hello Wordslinger! I didn't realize you were in Charlotte either. It's such a small world! Isn't it great that we finally have an ikea here? It's like having an Ikea solidifies Charlotte's status as a city as opposed to an "up and coming" city. biggrin.gif

Buahhhhh!!!! sad.gif There's no Ikea in Indiana! So sad!

I know! I'm heading out to Purdue in the fall and it saddens me that I'll have to spend the next 5 years of my life enduring in a city that doesn't have an Ikea! Where else am I supposed to have lunch?

Edited by BionicKris

I'll be driving my son to various day camps around the county, supervising renovations on my house, and throwing away/recycling a ton of stuff I don't need. I figure that, come September, I won't ever be able to work on my house again, so I better spend some time now!

I'll also be attending a conference in Montreal and my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in San Diego. Oh, and I'll be taking an econometrics course somewhere...

But mostly, I will try to savor every moment of free time -- going to the farmer's market and preparing lots of fresh food, reading books for pleasure and going to the movies, planting flowers and enjoying sunsets. I know it will be a struggle to carve out time for myself once I begin my program, and I want to nourish myself as much as possible between now and then...

Just writing this makes me realize that I don't need to wait for summer -- I can begin right now! smile.gif

I will be interning with a social services agency in my hometown. Whether it will be paid or not is unknown as of now. However, mileage is :-D I'll basically be a social worker trying to help the elderly apply for government services and local assistance programs. It will hopefully help me understand public policy at the micro level a bit better. I dread going home to live with the rents - even if it is just for 3 months.

But, I do get to buy my first car!

Also,

my BFF from the UK is coming to visit towards the end of my summer and we are road tripping! I can't wait. Lots of weekend trips, too. I work hard 3 days a week and then am off for 4. So, 4 days weekends!

I'll be going to my partner's college commencement and moving all out things from Central PA to New Orleans, and then flying back to Trinidad to finish out my job contract. In mid-August, I'm moving back to New Orleans and hanging out with her until school starts!

I'll also be enjoying my last few months of guilt-free pleasure reading. :)

I am leaving work a couple of months before starting school, to give myself the kind of time to travel that I won't have for quite a while. Going to Bolivia for an awesome climb in July, thats the highlight. Otherwise looking over interesting places to see, that require not so much money.

Hello Wordslinger! I didn't realize you were in Charlotte either. It's such a small world! Isn't it great that we finally have an ikea here? It's like having an Ikea solidifies Charlotte's status as a city as opposed to an "up and coming" city. biggrin.gif

BionicKris: LOVE this Ikea, and I'll be sad to leave it in August. Actually, I'm a little sad about leaving Charlotte as I really do like it here. So... you mentioned it in passing in another post, but how did you and your SO work out the move together? It kind of looks like I'm just going to have to leave my SO behind. :(

I just started a seasonal position at a historic site!! It is really cool, low-stress and fun. I can pay the bills and don't have to worry about a thing. Plus I only work 3 or 4 days a week, so I have plenty of free time!

My main goal is to make a short film! I haven't had time for such creative projects in years. In addition I want to do a bit of traveling--maybe some camping and hiking!

This will be an idyllic summer. No stressful job, grad school all figured out... I'm pumped!

BionicKris: LOVE this Ikea, and I'll be sad to leave it in August. Actually, I'm a little sad about leaving Charlotte as I really do like it here. So... you mentioned it in passing in another post, but how did you and your SO work out the move together? It kind of looks like I'm just going to have to leave my SO behind. :(

SO will be left behind sad.gif. It sucks, to put it mildly. Quick Bionic, happy thoughts! Think happy thoughts! LOL

Oh, goodness! I'm so very ready for summer to come.

As for what I'll be doing...I half wish I'd gotten some form of internship, just to save up for ridiculous living expenses next year, but I am also glad to be relaxing a bit. I'll be working as an instructor at my current school's engineering summer camp as well as getting ahead on my webcomic (which has sadly fallen by the wayside a bit amidst the rocky waters of second semester senior year), reading some course materials for future classes (go OpenCourseWare go!), and doing some work for a few startups. As well, of course, as looking forward to grad school come fall (((:

I just hope I can get as much done as I actually want to...it gets so easy to just sleep in all day and not get anything done during the summer!