Help choosing- BU, MGH, UPitt, Northwestern ???

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to all of these great programs but am now facing the dilemma of having to choose between them. They're all ridiculously expensive and unfortunately I haven't received any scholarships so I'm already prepared to go into debt, which I already expected, but I believe that going to one of these programs will help me in the long run, or even just the beginning of my career, despite people saying that the ranking doesn't matter. I used to be pre-med but switched to the speech track because I truly enjoyed the material more.

That being said, I'm definitely interested in med SLP and aphasia but don't know if I want to do that forever because I am also really interested in voice disorders, transgender voicing, and accent modification. I also definitely want to be a part of some sort of research in grad school, but as of right now I'm not sure if I will pursue writing a thesis. I feel like I'm already leaning towards BU vs. MGH just because I really love the Boston area, but I know that UPitt also has a really good program.

However, I've only visited BU for the interview and really loved the campus and how it was right in the city as opposed to MGH, but hopefully I'll be able to attend the open house to get a better sense of MGH as well. Do students going to MGH live in the city or near the school? And how would that work for transportation with early classes/staying late on campus?

I'm also worried about the fact that I heard you only work mainly with peds your first year at MGH and I want to get some experience with adults as well. Another thing is that MGH has an extra semester so I heard it is harder to get a CF because of that. 

Has anyone been in this position choosing between any of these schools?? If so, how did you make the decision? Any and all info from current/past grad students would be greatly appreciated. 

Those are all amazing programs!! Northwestern is very research based at least I heard. I don't know much about the other programs but on edFind if you look up the schools and click on them it'll show you the programs specialities/focuses under the contact info at the very top.

Maybe visit both schools if you can one more time and meet with a professor or department chair?

Hi!! I'm in a similar boat and very unsure. I'm deciding between BU vs MGH right now, but maybe consider northwestern, northeastern, or other programs once I hear back about costs. Feeling lucky to have such a difficult decision but it's really hard to know!! I haven't visited MGH yet but am planning on attending their open house. I loved BU when I visited too but it's hard to compare without visiting MGH yet 

21 minutes ago, slphopefulmeg said:

Hi!! I'm in a similar boat and very unsure. I'm deciding between BU vs MGH right now, but maybe consider northwestern, northeastern, or other programs once I hear back about costs. Feeling lucky to have such a difficult decision but it's really hard to know!! I haven't visited MGH yet but am planning on attending their open house. I loved BU when I visited too but it's hard to compare without visiting MGH yet 

Exactly!! Hope that the open house will provide some clarity! 

Hi! I'm at my second semester at IHP. I was choosing between BU and IHP (and some other schools) when I was making my final decision last year. I ultimately decided on IHP because of the focus on interprofessional education, the option for a medical concentration, and to expand my professional network. Anyway, I have some answers to your questions!

4 hours ago, ie.slp said:

Do students going to MGH live in the city or near the school? And how would that work for transportation with early classes/staying late on campus?

Some people opt to live in Charlestown, which is very close to school (can be a 10-15 minute walk depending on where you are) and others commute in. I take the T into North Station, which is about a 10-15 minute walk to campus depending on which building I have to go to. If you time it correctly, there is also the Partners shuttle that cycles between MGH (the hospital) and the Navy Yard (where IHP is) and those run early/late (convenient for the evening classes). I haven't run into any issues with my commute tbh. My commute is about an hour from when I leave my place to when I get to school. 

4 hours ago, ie.slp said:

I'm also worried about the fact that I heard you only work mainly with peds your first year at MGH and I want to get some experience with adults as well. Another thing is that MGH has an extra semester so I heard it is harder to get a CF because of that. 

The first semester is pediatric-heavy, but you start getting into adult stuff in the second semester. I started grad school really wanting to do adult stuff, so I just had to push through the first semester and remind myself that it's better to get the ped stuff out of the way haha (the classes/professors were fun in the first semester!). In terms of CFs, I don't think it actually makes it "harder" to get one because of the extra semester. I believe you don't have to start your CF as soon as you graduate. It's just like applying for a job - you can do it any time.

15 hours ago, BioCook said:

Hi! I'm at my second semester at IHP. I was choosing between BU and IHP (and some other schools) when I was making my final decision last year. I ultimately decided on IHP because of the focus on interprofessional education, the option for a medical concentration, and to expand my professional network. Anyway, I have some answers to your questions!

Some people opt to live in Charlestown, which is very close to school (can be a 10-15 minute walk depending on where you are) and others commute in. I take the T into North Station, which is about a 10-15 minute walk to campus depending on which building I have to go to. If you time it correctly, there is also the Partners shuttle that cycles between MGH (the hospital) and the Navy Yard (where IHP is) and those run early/late (convenient for the evening classes). I haven't run into any issues with my commute tbh. My commute is about an hour from when I leave my place to when I get to school.

The first semester is pediatric-heavy, but you start getting into adult stuff in the second semester. I started grad school really wanting to do adult stuff, so I just had to push through the first semester and remind myself that it's better to get the ped stuff out of the way haha (the classes/professors were fun in the first semester!). In terms of CFs, I don't think it actually makes it "harder" to get one because of the extra semester. I believe you don't have to start your CF as soon as you graduate. It's just like applying for a job - you can do it any time.

Thanks! This is very helpful! Do you know if most of the students in the program live together? And would you say that most of your class is primarily interested in medSLP? Also do you think that going to MGH helps with placement in medical settings?

6 hours ago, ie.slp said:

Thanks! This is very helpful! Do you know if most of the students in the program live together? And would you say that most of your class is primarily interested in medSLP? Also do you think that going to MGH helps with placement in medical settings?

There are a few people in our cohort who live together and it works out fine for them! I think we have a mix of interests, but honestly the majority of people in my class come into grad school with no specific populations they want to work with (I really know of maybe two people who are interesting in swallowing disorders). Also, don’t count on getting medical placements and/or placements at specific sites you really want! The only time a medical placement is guaranteed is if you take the medical concentration. But that should not be the only reason you go for a concentration!