Hi. Please Read ( Need Suggestions/Guidance with programs)

M_Green725

Hello All, 

I am graduating Fall 2020 with an undergraduate degree in psychology and I was wondering if anyone knew of great schools to apply for the programs listed below: 

1. Counseling Psychology (PhD or Psyd) 

2. Clinical Psychology (PhD or Psyd) 

3. Counseling Mental Health ( Masters) 

I would greatly appreciate it! I wanted to get some insight from those who are looking to pursue or already pursuing those fields. I have browse all over the web and have a few ideas, but I am always looking to expand! 

1 minute ago, Randi S said:

Do you have a particular field of research interests? Any of those PhD programs would require an excellent match with a PI.

Thanks for replying! 

I have a few... Military relationships, Minority Women and discrimination/stereotypes,  and Mental Health and the country stance on it now. 

Like the person above said, it really depends on your interests and whether or not that school has professors researching things in those areas. 

I know Xavier University, the University of Dayton, and Ohio State University all have Mental Health Counseling Master's programs. I am from Ohio and only really applied to Ohio schools! UD also has a Clinical Psychology Master's Program. Xavier also has a Clinical Psychology Psy.D. Program.

31 minutes ago, Lcussen said:

Like the person above said, it really depends on your interests and whether or not that school has professors researching things in those areas. 

I know Xavier University, the University of Dayton, and Ohio State University all have Mental Health Counseling Master's programs. I am from Ohio and only really applied to Ohio schools! UD also has a Clinical Psychology Master's Program. Xavier also has a Clinical Psychology Psy.D. Program.

Thank you!

The best advice I can give is don’t look particularly at schools. You won’t get interviews that way.

i highly suggest focusing on finding faculty in various programs and finding match. Your research fit is VERY Important. You have to refine it and get it to a detailed focus and find faculty that match well are have ket features that you can adapt to your research interest.

you sound new to this and that’s exciting. Please take time figuring out what programs are looking for in a applicant. If you need further help, just let me know. I’m glad to help while I’m waiting to move to my new program (counseling psych PHD)

23 hours ago, Itzik said:

The best advice I can give is don’t look particularly at schools. You won’t get interviews that way.

i highly suggest focusing on finding faculty in various programs and finding match. Your research fit is VERY Important. You have to refine it and get it to a detailed focus and find faculty that match well are have ket features that you can adapt to your research interest.

you sound new to this and that’s exciting. Please take time figuring out what programs are looking for in a applicant. If you need further help, just let me know. I’m glad to help while I’m waiting to move to my new program (counseling psych PHD)

I really appreciate that, Thank you and best wishes with getting starting in the new program! 

Do a literature review using Google Scholar to identify the PI's doing research that you find interesting. Then, one you've come up with that list, check out their programs to see who is in a department that fits your goals. For example, some people I found were in Clinical and I wanted to apply to Social/Developmental programs so I removed them. Do not apply to schools just based on their ranking, it's all about research fit. Then once you have that list, over the summer or in early fall, email the PI's and ask if they will be accepting students in the upcoming cycle. Treat this email as part of the interview process (not too long, very professional, and brief sentence or two about why you think it's a good fit). Then one your hear back you'll have your list. Good luck!