Dissertation stage tuition Austin Philosophy

Mash89

Was wondering whether the dissertation writing years also require tuition in UT Austin philosophy phd, so that tuition exemption through TA'ship etc. is required for a tuition reduction during those years.

In other words, if you have no coursework, do you still pay tuition and thus need to teach for its reduction? Obviously you need it for the stipend, but I wonder about the tuition aspect.

Thanks all.

18 hours ago, Mash89 said:

Was wondering whether the dissertation writing years also require tuition in UT Austin philosophy phd, so that tuition exemption through TA'ship etc. is required for a tuition reduction during those years.

In other words, if you have no coursework, do you still pay tuition and thus need to teach for its reduction? Obviously you need it for the stipend, but I wonder about the tuition aspect.

Thanks all.

If I remember correctly, you do still have to pay tuition during the later years of the program.

I can't speak for Texas specifically, but most universities require you to register for a "dissertation reading and research" section for every semester you are enrolled after completing coursework. This is usually equivalent to one course in terms of credit. So, you will still be on the hook for tuition if it is not covered through a fellowship or TAship, but depending on the tuition pay structure of the university, it may be significantly reduced in comparison to a semester of full coursework.