Considering BC MA in Phil?

philosofrey

Hey everyone!

Im a current MA student at BC and I really fell in love with the program. There's a lot happening here and I've noticed that many of the issues new MA students face are frankly stupid issues that are easily resolved. Boston just operates in its own way and you have to know what to do and where to look before coming here. SO I've decided to offer advise and aid to anyone considering BC but who wants to know about practical matters.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, philosofrey said:

Hey everyone!

Im a current MA student at BC and I really fell in love with the program. There's a lot happening here and I've noticed that many of the issues new MA students face are frankly stupid issues that are easily resolved. Boston just operates in its own way and you have to know what to do and where to look before coming here. SO I've decided to offer advise and aid to anyone considering BC but who wants to know about practical matters.

Hope this helps!

What are these "stupid issues" to which you are referring? 

mostly housing and student jobs. they are not well posted but good opportunities are there. The consortium for classes that BC doesn't offer...semester T passes have to be bought ahead of time but you can get them for a discounted rate... mostly practical matters.

8 minutes ago, philosofrey said:

mostly housing and student jobs. they are not well posted but good opportunities are there. The consortium for classes that BC doesn't offer...semester T passes have to be bought ahead of time but you can get them for a discounted rate... mostly practical matters.

So no one complains about the coursework at all? Just transportation issues? 

2 minutes ago, philosofrey said:

It's a very continental school, most analytic offerings are either combined grad/undergrad courses or you have to take them somewhere else through the consortium... but if you have a particular question id be happy to try and answer it

Well your OP seems to offer a defense for the BC MA program, I just wanted to know what you are defending it from. I've personally heard nothing about it, however it seems as though there is already some bad JuJu for which you are trying to dissuade people.

....I don't really know why you would want to read that into my attempt to support a program I really admire... honestly I just think its not given its fair credit. A lot of us have to pay for an MA, sometimes that is just how it goes. I found some tuition remission jobs that BC offers and I just wanted to be sure if that if someone really wanted to come here they'd have someone to talk to. BC has been really great to me and for me, after getting treated like shit from some other programs...ive come to value that more and more. Its a good program with a lot of opportunities in boston. When I came I got into trouble finding good housing and it made my first year a living hell. So this year, I want to help incoming MAs find solutions before they get here. It seems stupid to have 10 people all moving into boston looking for roommates and not being able to really talk to each other about potentially finding housing or student jobs.

Does that make sense? Sometimes people ARE honestly just trying to help. I know that application cycles can be utter hell. Just want to help.

and honestly I hate that the program isn't funded. drives me nuts. I really wish it were. the MA council is trying to figure out where and how to appeal for funds and what not. But we will see. No idea how any of it will work out

46 minutes ago, philosofrey said:

....I don't really know why you would want to read that into my attempt to support a program I really admire... honestly I just think its not given its fair credit. A lot of us have to pay for an MA, sometimes that is just how it goes. I found some tuition remission jobs that BC offers and I just wanted to be sure if that if someone really wanted to come here they'd have someone to talk to. BC has been really great to me and for me, after getting treated like shit from some other programs...ive come to value that more and more. Its a good program with a lot of opportunities in boston. When I came I got into trouble finding good housing and it made my first year a living hell. So this year, I want to help incoming MAs find solutions before they get here. It seems stupid to have 10 people all moving into boston looking for roommates and not being able to really talk to each other about potentially finding housing or student jobs.

Does that make sense? Sometimes people ARE honestly just trying to help. I know that application cycles can be utter hell. Just want to help.

Thanks for spreading your passion & good vibes--the faculty at my undergrad have been really important figures in my life & when I heard claims about BC being a "cashcow MA", I was very upset given that their course offerings and specialties look awesome. I got accepted into the program so I will definitely keep your input in mind :) 

Im glad to hear you'll consider it. It's a weird department (like any other Phil department lol) but if you seek people out they are almost unwilling to let you fail. A lot has been happening surrounding the MA, they are trying really hard to make it better. It was never bad, just...not funded. Biggest issue that has lead to is there being a fair amount of super rich kids in the program who don't understand why some of us have to work. That has really changed in the last two years though. When I first started, I said there was no way in hell Id apply to the PhD: I'm just a poor kid with a shit ton of debt trying to break into the ivy tower. But, since then, I've gotten support both in the department and just through my jobs at BC. They really care. Now, I'm honestly thinking BC will be my top choice next year. The largest complaint I have is just that its not funded. I'm jealous of the people who get to take advantage of the incredible opportunities there while I'm working three jobs.

But Ive had professors be super generous with me on getting my schoolwork completed. Ive been told I can audit classes and get profs to write letters of rec so that I don't have to pay for them outright...they just offered me another year to help prep my apps and take more analytic classes since I wasn't really ready to apply to PhDs this year...like its been worth the money for me. 

I know A LOT of PhD students who came out the MA if not the first year after finishing then at least the second. And what I meant by my top post was that, if I knew there were jobs I could apply for that had tuition remission...then my life would have been much easier. There aren't many of them, they are competitive, but they exist. you can also pick up a temp office job for like 20-25 hours a week and as a BC employee you get full tuition remission. So like... perfect? No. But worth looking into... yes. 

But, if you don't show an interest in connecting with profs, or you never show up to the grad lounge (which is always popping with metaphysical debates lol)... then yeah it is a cash cow MA. BC like anywhere else will take your money and Never look back. But, if you show you give a shit and you put time in...it can be extremely rewarding. You just have to learn early how things work and buy in. If you don't, then the jesuit thing will seem stupid... the theology thing will seem stupid... you will find things to be upset with. I did that for a year... it sucked...wouldnt recommend it. Just buy in and take what they can offer which if you play your cards right can be the world.