Funding for Master's?

apsocpsy2020

Hi all,

This was my second application process (with better GRE scores + 2+ years of research ex + Master's + 1 first author publication and 4 under review). Despite this I didn't get into a PhD program. I think my Master's grades had to do with it. 

Got notified about an acceptance to NYU for a Master's. I was hoping I'd get in there for PhD, but that did not happen. 

They do not provide any funding. Is there any way to get scholarships/funding? I definitely cannot afford to pay/take out a loan, unfortunately. (note: I'm an international student from a developing country).

I also don't think that for at least 5-6 years, I won't be able to apply again (by that time I'd have to somehow figure out a way to stay financially afloat, lol)

Any other advice?

23 hours ago, apsocpsy2020 said:

Hi all,

This was my second application process (with better GRE scores + 2+ years of research ex + Master's + 1 first author publication and 4 under review). Despite this I didn't get into a PhD program. I think my Master's grades had to do with it. 

Got notified about an acceptance to NYU for a Master's. I was hoping I'd get in there for PhD, but that did not happen. 

They do not provide any funding. Is there any way to get scholarships/funding? I definitely cannot afford to pay/take out a loan, unfortunately. (note: I'm an international student from a developing country).

I also don't think that for at least 5-6 years, I won't be able to apply again (by that time I'd have to somehow figure out a way to stay financially afloat, lol)

Any other advice?

Hi,

Unless the Masters degree you have is in something not related to Psychology. I would suggest holding off on getting another Masters degree. 

Thanks for the replies.

It's mainly because even to apply for a Master's I need a Master's. Also because the LoRs would be stronger from a US based Master's + the one I did was of very poor quality, tbh (there were no better quality ones). One of the POIs I wrote to also suggested I work in more reputable labs, which just aren't available in my country. 

I think I understand. Kind of. As far as funding goes, some schools offer TA/RA positions that can either provide a stipend or reduce tuition cost, sometimes both. Although for master's programs I think they're few and far between. I'd also recommend contacting the school to ask about scholarships available. Most schools have a page on their website that lists possible scholarships, their requirements and deadlines. I'd imagine NYU would as well, so I'd look around their website a bit for more information on that. If you don't find anything on the site, you can always reach out to admissions to ask about assistantship or scholarship opportunities.