Accepting admission before hearing from other schools because of their late deadline?

So I have an acceptance to an out of state school for SLP, and am very honored! However, I am waiting on my in-state school to respond. I just found out my in-state school doesn't have interviews/final decision day until "late May-early June", and I have to pay a deposit to the other school by April 15th to secure a spot. Any advice?? I don't want to be unethical, however I would like to chance to hear from all my schools of choice. Thanks in advance! :) 

also side note: the out of state school mentioned I am next in line to get an assistantship if someone rejects offer. Should I follow up on that if I haven't heard, or wait for them to contact me? That's also likely the only way I could afford the out of state schol. 

Edited by mmcat

I'm going to be in the same boat too! By any chance does the school you've been accepted to allow for an extension?

44 minutes ago, KEIM said:

I'm going to be in the same boat too! By any chance does the school you've been accepted to allow for an extension?

I'm not sure! I suppose I could ask? This is my first time applying to graduate school and I'm nervous to follow protocols that I don't even know :) Glad to know I'm not alone! 

Just now, mmcat said:

I'm not sure! I suppose I could ask? This is my first time applying to graduate school and I'm nervous to follow protocols that I don't even know :) Glad to know I'm not alone! 

I totally understand your apprehension.  I feel the same way. Is the deposit a lot? Mine is. 

1 minute ago, KEIM said:

I totally understand your apprehension.  I feel the same way. Is the deposit a lot? Mine is. 

$500, which is a lot at least for me haha. Especially during this time when my income is affected by the crisis :) but, I suppose if this is what I want I have to do what I have to do right? 

Just now, mmcat said:

$500, which is a lot at least for me haha. Especially during this time when my income is affected by the crisis :) but, I suppose if this is what I want I have to do what I have to do right? 

Mine is the same, SO EXPENSIVE. I really dont want to lose it but I also don't want to risk losing a spot if I get rejected from everywhere else. 

Just now, KEIM said:

Mine is the same, SO EXPENSIVE. I really dont want to lose it but I also don't want to risk losing a spot if I get rejected from everywhere else. 

YES! I feel your pain!! Especially since now I know I won't hear from my other school of choice until May/June :( I wish there was more I could do

9 minutes ago, mmcat said:

YES! I feel your pain!! Especially since now I know I won't hear from my other school of choice until May/June :( I wish there was more I could do

Yeah, I'm not going to hear from my other schools until April either. So frustrating!

That's weird how they don't announce the admission decision till May/June! You could always put the deposit down for the school you already got in, and if you get into the other school drop the deposit if you really want to go there and put a new one down. It'll suck losing the deposit but if the other school really is the one you want to go too it'll be worth it, and your spot will just go to someone on the waitlist.

1 hour ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

That's weird how they don't announce the admission decision till May/June! You could always put the deposit down for the school you already got in, and if you get into the other school drop the deposit if you really want to go there and put a new one down. It'll suck losing the deposit but if the other school really is the one you want to go too it'll be worth it, and your spot will just go to someone on the waitlist.

Right?! Makes it hard on me, and I would hate to accept and later decline an offer but it may be what I have to do in the end. Thank you for your response! 

1 hour ago, mmcat said:

Right?! Makes it hard on me, and I would hate to accept and later decline an offer but it may be what I have to do in the end. Thank you for your response! 

Yeah I'm definitely going to feel bad doing that if I get in off the waitlist to one of the schools I wanted to attend. But I'm trying to think of the positives:

1. You aren't the first or last person to do this

2. Someone on the waitlist who might not have gotten in anywhere will be super excited to have gotten in

3. It'll make you happy in the end

2 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

Yeah I'm definitely going to feel bad doing that if I get in off the waitlist to one of the schools I wanted to attend. But I'm trying to think of the positives:

1. You aren't the first or last person to do this

2. Someone on the waitlist who might not have gotten in anywhere will be super excited to have gotten in

3. It'll make you happy in the end

This is all very true! Thank you. :) I know schools must expect some people to have to do this as well, it may not be a shock to them since they do this every year. Good luck with everything! This is a crazy time for sure. 

19 minutes ago, mmcat said:

This is all very true! Thank you. :) I know schools must expect some people to have to do this as well, it may not be a shock to them since they do this every year. Good luck with everything! This is a crazy time for sure. 

Good luck to you too! Yeah I'm sure they hope it won't happen but they know it's bound too since people get waitlisted or even put down deposits to 2 schools then drop one because they can't decide all the time so no matter your reasoning for dropping a deposit it happens all the time