Comprehensive Exam starting soon!

Hello everyone,

So I'm a few weeks away from the start of my comprehensive doctoral exam!!! To be honest, even if I am a little bit nervous, I'm also very happy to be almost done with coursework.

I am in the social sciences. I was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions in terms of going about it. What was your process when you were doing your comprehensive exam back in the days? 

I have already identified a list of most of the major publications/books/articles on my topic and made an annotated bibliography that I updated on and off all throughout this semester. I have brainstormed over the last few weeks two potential questions for my exam that I have to discuss with my thesis director and doctoral committee (my questions will be chosen in consultation with me and them). I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but I just wanted to have "something" to discuss with them, and not start from scratch. I am totally open to their comments and suggestions. I'm actually very happy with my committee and my thesis director, I have very good feelings about the people that will guide me through this journey. 

Congratulations!  I am so happy to hear that you are still progressing after the saga with your thesis.  I am post-comps, but my program doesn't do a traditional exam.  Instead either multiple publications are counted in lieu or we create a publication ready systematic or integrative review paper.  If yours is similar then I would say this is not the time to experiment with new tools or methods for organization.  If you aren't someone who outlines and it is not a required part of the process then don't waste time making one if that doesn't help you get your work done.  If you are the type to print articles and annotate by hand then stick with that if it has always worked.  Trying new things is great when you're working on more low pressure things like class assignments.  If your department allows you to view samples from past students then review as many as you can.  More generally I would say pace yourself, talk with students who have passed (especially if they didn't pass the first time), and create small rewards as you complete each step.  When you are done take a week off, even if you don't feel exhausted.  You will need to conserve your energy for dissertation so the rest will be important.

I recommend that you have a conversation with your department and your committee about potential disruptions to your scheduled exam due to COVID-19.

• What happens if you or a member of your committee takes ill during the process?
  • What happens if you or they are forced to relocate on short notice?
  • What resources can you use to manage the dual stress of your exams and the specter of the crisis?
  • What are the opportunities to talk out sudden changes in rapport if members of your committee privately freak out and lash out at you? 
  • Would you want to reschedule your exams until after there's greater clarity about the local and regional impacts of the crisis?
    • Don't ask for an extension if you don't want one. But be prepared if an extension is offered or suggested/recommended.

(@MarineBluePsy's recommendations are awesome, especially the suggestions to talk with those who have been through the process is as good as gold and not to change your preparation process.)

An additional recommendation. The pressure of the process can be incredible. So much so that members of your committee can be tossing softballs for you to crush but it feels like they're throwing rocks at your head. If a moment in the preliminary discussions seems to take such a turn, try to relax.

It's interesting that you've raised these questions, because there is a very high chance that I will move back to my hometown this summer due to COVID-19. At this stage, I don't want an extension, but it's true that I may get sick due to the pandemic, you never know.

Thanks for your insights. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 1 month later...