Chapel Hill, NC

Kumari

Try Baity Hill Student Family Housing.

They typically have a few extra rooms for single grads. The apartments are new (2005) and operated like a normal apartment complex with their own leasing office and no RAs. Plus your rent includes all utilities even cable and internet. I lived there for two years. They are on the southern most portion of campus and are very quiet. It is about a 15 minute walk to Franklin street from there and buses pick up there every 7 minutes.

• 2 months later...

I am starting at UNC this fall and the information posted so far has been quite helpful. I do have a couple more questions, though.

First of all, I have been looking at housing and a lot of the apartments and duplexes don't seem to include utilities in the rent. Since I currently leave up in the northeast, not to mention having lived with my parents for my undergrad degree, I am not really sure what would be a reasonable estimate for budgeting. Any ideas?

Also, I have seen some houses/apartments on McCauley Street that are really close to the computer science building (Sitterson Hall) where I will be spending most of my time, and with seemingly reasonable prices. I have to wonder, though, if the oddly low prices have to do with the coal-fired cogeneration plant down the street. Does anyone have any experience living on the street, or anywhere else near the power plant?

Finally, after having commuted 45 minutes each way for four years and doing my own car repairs, I am starting to despise the infernal combustion engine. It probably does not help that my current car is unlikely to pass inspection without more work then it is worth. Does anyone know if using Zipcar would be a reasonable substitute to owning a car at UNC? I am planning (hoping...) to rent a house/apartment where I can take the bus (or walk) to class.

Oh, and any suggestions for some good vegetarian restaurants in town? :)

I think so! You can bike or take the bus to most places around campus/Chapel Hill and Carrboro, and then just use Zipcar if you want to go further, for example into Durham.

As for vegetarian restaurants...well, not all of these are vegetarian, but as a veg*n I tend to find they have a wide selection of veg*n options:

-The Spotted Dog (in Carrboro, actually is 100% vegetarian)

-Carrburritos (excellent burritos)

-Cosmic Cantina (Franklin St., burritos and quesadillas, but not as good as the one in Durham)

-Mediterranean Deli (Franklin, also supplies packaged lunches to the various campus dining halls and convenience stores if you want to pick one up; there's a convenience store near-ish Sitterson)

-Artichoke and Basil (Franklin, pizza)

-Pepper's (Franklin, pizza)

-Buns (just off Franklin, best garden burger on the planet, hands down - I suggest getting it with wasabi mayo, avocado, and a side of sweet potato fries)

-Kurama (next to Buns, conveyer-belt style sushi with vegetarian options and inari, not the best quality but cheap/fast/oddly thrilling)

-Akai Hana or Shiki Sushi (in Carrboro and Durham, respectively, if you want decent sushi with vegetarian options; the latter's regular Japanese food is also excellent)

-Bandido's (Franklin, though again the one in Durham is better. I recommend the spinach quesadilla or the spinach burrito with salsa verde but I'm a spinach freak)

Hope this helps!

Finally, after having commuted 45 minutes each way for four years and doing my own car repairs, I am starting to despise the infernal combustion engine. It probably does not help that my current car is unlikely to pass inspection without more work then it is worth. Does anyone know if using Zipcar would be a reasonable substitute to owning a car at UNC? I am planning (hoping...) to rent a house/apartment where I can take the bus (or walk) to class.

Edited by gellert

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to the Zipcar, but I lived in the Raleigh area of NC for years, so their utilities are pretty familiar. You're right, utilities are usually not included. About 2 years ago, I had a 1000 sqft house, and the electric (no gas) ran between $200 at the peak of summer/winter and $80 in spring/fall with the windows open as much as possible. Water was $50/mo. It will run you less in an apartment/duplex, of course.

I am starting at UNC this fall and the information posted so far has been quite helpful. I do have a couple more questions, though.

First of all, I have been looking at housing and a lot of the apartments and duplexes don't seem to include utilities in the rent. Since I currently leave up in the northeast, not to mention having lived with my parents for my undergrad degree, I am not really sure what would be a reasonable estimate for budgeting. Any ideas?

Also, I have seen some houses/apartments on McCauley Street that are really close to the computer science building (Sitterson Hall) where I will be spending most of my time, and with seemingly reasonable prices. I have to wonder, though, if the oddly low prices have to do with the coal-fired cogeneration plant down the street. Does anyone have any experience living on the street, or anywhere else near the power plant?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So since most of these posts are older, I figured I'd ask an updated question (especially since I'd like to know) - is Carrboro like the only place to live? And will I be neighbors with a bunch of undergrads doing teenage things?

So since most of these posts are older, I figured I'd ask an updated question (especially since I'd like to know) - is Carrboro like the only place to live? And will I be neighbors with a bunch of undergrads doing teenage things?

Hi! I currently live in Chapel Hill. There are definitely places to live in around campus, but there's been some chatter about rising rent prices in order to attract a certain crowd, so a lot of people are heading 10 minutes down the road to Carrboro. Still, there are plenty of apartment complexes and decently priced houses hidden about if you're ready to hunt and have Google maps open in another window to estimate walking/biking times. I don't have a car, so I can't offer much in terms of venturing outside of campus unless you want to know about the nearest Target.

And the "teenage things" issue really depends on where you are. Carrboro isn't as compact as Franklin St, etc so if most people wanna party, they're heading to Franklin St. However, on my block there are mostly families, so noise is not an issue. I will say, Carrboro definitely has more of the 20-something scene in terms of coffee shops that also hold ballroom dance groups and bands, to Weaver St Market, where you can buy a beer and then go sit outside at a picnic table and hang out. Carrboro is also where the comedy club is and where some pretty casual bars are located as well. You're definitely not going to find the frat crowd~ in Carrboro unless you're at a house party. There's also a convenient Harris Teeter and a bike path that cuts through to one of the main roads leading into campus.

I hope this captured what you were looking for! 

Edited by likemythesis

Hi! I currently live in Chapel Hill. There are definitely places to live in around campus, but there's been some chatter about rising rent prices in order to attract a certain crowd, so a lot of people are heading 10 minutes down the road to Carrboro. Still, there are plenty of apartment complexes and decently priced houses hidden about if you're ready to hunt and have Google maps open in another window to estimate walking/biking times. I don't have a car, so I can't offer much in terms of venturing outside of campus unless you want to know about the nearest Target.

And the "teenage things" issue really depends on where you are. Carrboro isn't as compact as Franklin St, etc so if most people wanna party, they're heading to Franklin St. However, on my block there are mostly families, so noise is not an issue. I will say, Carrboro definitely has more of the 20-something scene in terms of coffee shops that also hold ballroom dance groups and bands, to Weaver St Market, where you can buy a beer and then go sit outside at a picnic table and hang out. Carrboro is also where the comedy club is and where some pretty casual bars are located as well. You're definitely not going to find the frat crowd~ in Carrboro unless you're at a house party. There's also a convenient Harris Teeter and a bike path that cuts through to one of the main roads leading into campus.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm a little concerned about the whole college town thing, especially since I prefer city life and walkability. I have a car, though, so I'm more flexible in terms of location than just Carrboro. I wonder if I'll be surrounded by Duke fans if I live in Durham, though... Lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey! I am trying to find an apartment in Carrboro for next year - but I'm moving from across the country so I can't really visit. Do you know any names of landlords or companies or anything like that? It's so hard to find things online, they're all those huge apartment communities.

Does anyone have any idea how to find an apartment in Carrboro? I'm starting at UNC in the fall and I just have no clue where to even start my search. I visited for the interview weekend so I know that I really liked the Carrboro area, but I don't have a clue about finding housing.

Hey! I am trying to find an apartment in Carrboro for next year - but I'm moving from across the country so I can't really visit. Do you know any names of landlords or companies or anything like that? It's so hard to find things online, they're all those huge apartment communities.

Sadly, I do not have any specific names other than my landlord for my house. I will say though that I have visited Ashbrook Apartments, though that is farther away. I have also been to a prof's apartment in Chelsea Commons and have heard a few grad students say they live there, so there's that. Are you in contact with any current students in your program? They might be able to help. Also, you could consider looking at UNC Chapel Hill Class of 20XX Facebook groups and find people who need summer subletters. Then you can come and check out places when you are actually here. This requires coming a little early into the summer, but it's an option. Sorry I can't be of more help. 

I went out there last weekend, and I looked at about a dozen apartments complexes in the Chapel Hill area, but I ended up settling on one in Carrboro. So, I can give you a little information. If you're looking for an apartment to fit with the UNC stipend, you probably want to look down in the $700 range or below. If you have some money of your own and want to spend it on a nicer place, look near the top of the list. Remember, in calculating your expenses, that you'll be paying a big chunk in utilities, especially if you don't find a roommate. I'd definitely recommend that. That will help you get a decent place. Plus, that allows you to share a living room and kitchen, meaning you get full use of those spaces at half the cost, essentially.

Ashbrook Apartments:
This was my final choice. The apartments have been renovated, and you get a pretty good amount of space, new washer dryer, and stainless appliances. They spent their renovation money inside the apartments, and it turned out pretty well. The prices are a bit above others with less amenities though (~$930 for a 1-bedroom, ~$1040 for a 2-bedroom). 1-bedrooms were pretty scarce. Also, there's a pool and a small fitness room that they're going to expand.

Bridges at Chapel Hill:
This was my second choice. Washer and dryer were included, and everything was pretty nice. The appliances were a little less nice, and some of the touches could have been done better (aesthetic and quality choices). They're prices were ~$850 for a 1-bedroom and about ~$960 for a 2-bedroom (~$100 less than Ashbrook).

The Villages at Chapel Hill:
Overall, the grounds were pretty nice, but the units were not really well done. They need some updating, because everything is very dated, and it seems like repairs are done a little sloppily (wood veneer cabinets from the 1970s or 1980s, ugly appliances, sloppy paint work). There is a washer and dryer room, but you'd have to provide your own or rent them at ~$40 a month. The layouts are just okay. Still, the clubhouse is nice, and there are some decent features, plus it's close. If you don't mind sacrificing some creature comforts. They have some cheaper studios, but they also seem to have a lot more undergrads. I think their studio prices were ~$750 a month.

Poplar Place:
Avoid this place. They don't take good care of the property, and it feels like a rundown version of The Villages. Their prices are about the same, and I guess it could be okay, but it was just rough to see just after visiting Ashbrook's renovated apartments.

On the other side of Chapel Hill...

Sagebrook:
This place competes with Ashbrook on the price-point, but they spent all of their renovation money on the exterior. It shows. They tend to put paint and cheap laminate counters in order to make the buildings look more appealing. When I saw they do separate agreements to split rent with roommates, I realized they catered to undergrads, and I bailed.

What I found was a good idea was to go on Google Maps, look at Chapel Hill and search for "Apartments". A lot of these places will show up with links to their websites for pictures and prices. 

I hope I don't sound conceited by choosing the more expensive place and talking down the others. Really though, find a roommate if you want to make ends meet. Alternatively, look on Craigslist for rooms to sublet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be attending UNC this fall.  I looked at a few apartment complexes in Carrboro when I visited this past weekend.  Has anyone here lived at Chateau Apartments?

What about grocery shopping in Chapel Hill? It seems there aren't a lot of big stores with reasonable prices, and that you're pretty doomed if you don't have a car and live somewhere not close to Whole Foods (for example, I don't see much in the way of grocery stores in Carrboro).

Groceries: There is a Harris Teeter in Carrboro. Also, Weaver Street Market. Those are a bit pricey.

If you live in the right place in Chapel Hill, you may manage to be near a Food Lion - I'd use Google Maps for that; there are a few around.

If you want to take the bus down Franklin St, you can reach a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It will take a little while though, depending on where you live. If you have a car, you can get to a Kroger somewhere. I also often take the bus to Target, Walmart, and the mall - be warned, buses generally don't run on Sundays, and have limited Saturday schedules. Buses around campus are free (the ones with letter names) and ones with number names (go to Durham, the airport, etc) cost, usually $2. 

Grad students don't have to live in Carrboro; there are other places! (not that I'm a grad student yet) Be sure to thoroughly check out apartment complex ratings online before you commit - there are some places with bugs, or other issues.

I've lived in Laurel Ridge; I believe they have 3 bedroom apartments for $1100 - 1400. Very nice, no issues, quick to come out and maintain the area. The J bus can get crowded (Laurel Ridge is off a highway, and there are lots of other complexes around there) but it goes to and from campus fairly often compared to other routes. Also, there's a little back trail you can take to get to Harris Teeter and Carrboro if you want exercise/food. Quiet neighborhood.

I've also lived in University Gardens. The owner, Eric Plow, is laid back and reasonable, does his own maintenance. Some of these apartments are a bit less nice, but we got a nicely painted one for $800 (2 bedroom townhouse). Personally, I thought the garden style places were a bit weird (underground); but I like the townhouses. This complex is north of Franklin St. Buses run less frequently, but you could walk 20-25 minutes. Lots of families and students live here; it's fairly quiet. We had our own washer and dryer, though not sure if all of the apartments do.

Personally, as a NC native, I'd say Food Lions are cheap but sometimes a bit eh. They tend to have most of what you want though, and lately most of them have had small (but not too tiny) healthy/vegetarian sections. I forgot about the Food Lion in Carrboro, but yeah, that's a good sized one. I mostly remember there's an ABC store nearby, if you want liquor! ;)

Harris Teeter is super nice, with free samples and all, but you pay for it. I'm a fan of Krogers and Trader Joe's, myself... a nice balance of selection, healthy options, and price.

There's actually 2 Food Lions in Carrboro, although they are quite close to each other. One is on Jones Ferry Rd, walking distance to a few apartment complexes. The other is off of 54 at the Carrboro Plaza.

Does anyone who attends UNC live in Durham or have housing advice for moving to Durham and commuting? I know that some people live in Durham close to Chapel Hill. I lived in Chapel Hill for the summer and I was not particularly found of Carrboro or Chapel Hill and wanted some info on Durham. Thanks for any help!