MA Acceptances

cheesy_cheese

49 minutes ago, cheesy_cheese said:

Why is it the case, then, that deadlines for MA's are much much later? --so much later that many are after April 15th. 

How much later, like December and January? 

jk jk I kid I kid

I'm also curious about the M.A. deadlines. According to the email from one, admissions decisions are made roughly 4-6 weeks after the grad school itself clears the prospective student and the dept has received all app materials. So, before the deadline. I wish I'd known that, because I would've submitted my application earlier and noted that 4-6 week timeline to my letter writers. I'd rather not commit to a school at the regular deadline, and then take it back because of a better offer from another school, but it looks like that might be what I do.

Here's my story, if it helps, from Spring 2018.

Brandeis: Notification of waitlist from Kate Moran on March 28. Acceptance on April 9, with $10k possible extra need-based funding, plus TAship, plus $10k extra because they were "especially impressed" with my application. (I have no idea what that means; it could just be standard.)

Western Michigan: Notification of acceptance from Dan Dolson on March 7, but waitlisted for funding. Pinged Dolson on April 13 and gave him the offers I was considering. Got a funded offer on April 14.

UW—Milwaukee: Notification of waitlist from Waylon Jennings Smith on March 16. Rejection on April 17.

Georgia State: Notification of rejection from Tim O'Keefe on March 1.

Everything is so dependent on who does what when, so I imagine the timeline can be pretty much anywhere for a given person.

Edited by Rose-Colored Beetle

Yep, I let my letter writers know that for future students' sake. I had to commit to a program before the April 15th deadline, even while knowing that I might accept offers from schools with later deadlines. Had I known, I would've applied earlier and saved everyone some time. Oh well. 

Anyhow, I'm in at CSU LA now, which is great! They've been on my list since I graduated college. I eyed departments that didn't seem too caught up in the analytic-continental goofballery, and it's quite hard to find any M.A. programs that offer both mainstream anglophone blahblah philosophy and 20th century French material as well. I'm hoping I can virtually sit in on a class or something. Not being able to visit departments really has me nervous. I wrote off the departments that didn't offer something like that - beneath all the fluff and flattery, I want to know what the atmosphere is actually like and information sessions only tell you so much. If anyone here has any experience with CSU LA, please let me know! I did come across some guy in a Facebook group back when I had one and he was extremely enthused about the program, but that's only one person. 

Is there typically a lag between acceptance and funding offers (TAship, fellowship, GAship, waivers, etc.)? Or is that due to COVID-19? I got into a program and the admissions deadline isn't until May 29th so of course many people haven't even submitted an application yet, but I need to know what the funding offer is before I make any decision!

apparently, I can't delete posts, but anyway - Accepted into CSU Long Beach with a non-resident tuition waiver and a GAship. Really detailed and informative letter, and the best offer I've received (also the most clear and easy to understand). Anyone have any experience with the school or this program specifically?