Difficult Decision

StudiestStudy

I am in a tricky spot right now with deciding on a school to attend in the fall. I currently have a half time offer from one school.  I was originally told it was highly likely I would be offered another half time or one full time position by the fall but yesterday the program director told me that due to the Coronavirus the overall enrollment was down and he was told there would be no full time assistantships for the first year. My half time is safe because it federally funding. To attend I would have to take out loans for at least the first year. I would have to accept this offer by April 15. I like this program a lot and the location is more ideal but I would not necessarily be doing the research I was interested in right away. 

I am currently waiting to hear back from one school about setting up an interview (the school has later deadlines) but they don't think the interview will be until after April 15th due to everything with the virus (having to move to remote learning for the rest of the semester). This school has a history of fully funding students. My significant other is also going to be attending this school as well. The location is less ideal but still not bad.

My mom and significant other think I should accept the offer from the first school and do an interview with the second school and see what they offer me (I have been in constant communication with the second school and the director is optimistic about my application but of course I know I am not guaranteed admission) What is everyone's thoughts on accepting an offer and then possibly rescinding my acceptance to accept a better offer? Things are so tricky now with the Coronavirus and it would be ideal for me to attend a fully funded program. My mom thinks that with everything going on, it would not reflect poorly on me to cancel my half time acceptance in favor of a full time offer. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

If the programs abide by the rules of the Council of Graduate Schools, you would only be able to rescind your acceptance at School A if they provide a written release of your offer to allow you to accept school B. Otherwise, you are bound to that acceptance after April 15th. 

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

I think in this strange time, it might be worth it to ask the first program if you can potentially have an extension on the deadline. I would be transparent about your interest, but say that due to delays regarding COVID-19, you don't feel that you have all your information to make a decision. I would provide a date by which you felt you could make your decision, and be ready for them to stay firm to the April 15th date, but I don't think reaching out could hurt.

I do think, even if it is possible to be released from your acceptance, that it is not wise to put yourself in a position of doing so.

1 hour ago, Modulus said:

I think in this strange time, it might be worth it to ask the first program if you can potentially have an extension on the deadline. I would be transparent about your interest, but say that due to delays regarding COVID-19, you don't feel that you have all your information to make a decision. I would provide a date by which you felt you could make your decision, and be ready for them to stay firm to the April 15th date, but I don't think reaching out could hurt.

I do think, even if it is possible to be released from your acceptance, that it is not wise to put yourself in a position of doing so.

i agree - you can always ask for an extension, and maybe with all the COVID weirdness School A might be open to it. But, it would be extremely poor taste to accept School A and then ask them to release you after April 15. This pandemic won't last forever, and the psychology network isn't that big. You don't want to That Person who backed out of an offer after the April 15 deadline. 

All schools know the deadline for acceptance is April 15, so I'm really surprised that School B is telling you that interviews won't happen til after that. If you're really not feeling the research at School A, decline the offer and see what happens with School B.  The wait lists are long, and with schools cutting back on enrollment for Fall, someone else out there would most likely gratefully snap up your spot in a heartbeat. 

14 hours ago, Modulus said:

I also think so!