Imposter Syndrome / Post Acceptance Anxiety

Hi guys! I have just been accepted into my top graduate school for speech-language pathology. I am extremely thankful and I should be over the moon but I'm honestly crippled with imposter syndrome. Anyone else in a similar position? lol

Edited by citygirl0018

4 minutes ago, citygirl0018 said:

Hi guys! I have just been accepted into my top graduate school for speech-language pathology. I am extremely thankful and I should be over the moon but I'm honestly crippled with imposter syndrome. I work at a private speech therapy clinic and was there one semester where one student, who was sweet and extremely book-smart, failed her clinical practicum. As an empath, I can just imagine myself in her shoes. I'm scared of failing. I should have no reason. I have a near perfect GPA and I have good people skills. However, I don't have a lot of clinical practice yet and watching that girl flunk out of school kind of scarred me. Any advice?

Congrats!!! I’m more scared of not doing well in my classes. I always reach a part in the semester where my brain turns off and I struggle to stay on track. Working as a training RBT I struggle a lot with application and remembering what I’m supposed to do and say but I’ve gotten a lot better with proper help. My advice is don’t be afraid to make mistakes over and over again. The professors in your program are there to help you and even your cohort. When I interviewed for my college the current students said we could always go to them and I’m so excited about that and to see what tips they can give me. You should see if current grad students could help you out. Maybe do mock clinicals and stuff. That would be kind of cool!

6 hours ago, citygirl0018 said:

Hi guys! I have just been accepted into my top graduate school for speech-language pathology. I am extremely thankful and I should be over the moon but I'm honestly crippled with imposter syndrome. Anyone else in a similar position? lol

Hi! I'm not at your same program, I'm a first year at SJSU, but don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat. Maybe it'll calm some nerves! 

21 hours ago, Cece93 said:

Congrats!!! I’m more scared of not doing well in my classes. I always reach a part in the semester where my brain turns off and I struggle to stay on track. Working as a training RBT I struggle a lot with application and remembering what I’m supposed to do and say but I’ve gotten a lot better with proper help. My advice is don’t be afraid to make mistakes over and over again. The professors in your program are there to help you and even your cohort. When I interviewed for my college the current students said we could always go to them and I’m so excited about that and to see what tips they can give me. You should see if current grad students could help you out. Maybe do mock clinicals and stuff. That would be kind of cool!

Thanks so much, it's hard now that everything is online now!

15 hours ago, slptobe! said:

Hi! I'm not at your same program, I'm a first year at SJSU, but don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat. Maybe it'll calm some nerves! 

Thank you!! I may take you up on that haha.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, citygirl0018 said:

I’m in my third semester of grad school and still have imposter syndrome. Instead of fake it til you make it I read something that said “act as if” which I thought was pretty positive and cool. Act as if. Who the hell is to say you’re an imposter girl. You’re a future SLP - solid definition of it :) way to go!

Yay congrats!! I'm a first year grad student and what your feeling is totally normal but you got in for a reason! Grad school is super different than undergrad but like the people above said, fake it til you make it :) Nobody knows what they're doing!