COVID-19 Anxieties: Rejecting PhD Offer AFTER Accepting (Post-April 15)

unwelded

I had two fully funded PhD offers this cycle. I did not get to visit School #2 because of COVID-19. 

I ended up choosing school 1 because I felt like it was a better fit, I knew the people there, and because it is closer to home - despite knowing that the second school was much better ranked program with better placements. This was induced panic related to COVID-19 (I lost a family member, and just the general anxiety of this current moment) and I defaulted to what was familiar. 

It is now 4 days after April 15. Let's say I ask School B (the one I rejected) and they inform me that they can still offer me the spot - how BAD would it be to then rescind my acceptance to School 1? Even if I were to explain myself and my situation, would this burn bridges? Do you think there is leeway for these things because of everything going on ?

More Info: 

-Both schools knew I had acceptances from them both. So this isin't a case of accepting one school and then getting off the waitlist of another after the deadline. It's a matter of just nerves and changing mind. (yikes). 

-I have personal connections to both schools, but more so school 1 (the one I already accepted). A mentor of mine who is close to many of the big names in the department vouched for me, which is what I'm sure played a large role in getting me in (double yikes). 

Advice? 

Where is it that you really want to go? If you weigh the schools well, without panicking and being anxious, where is the best place for you? Reflect on that and then make your decision again. Don't be afraid to let down school 1 if you know you'd be better off at school B. It is better to rescind the offer now while you still have a shot at the other school than to live in regret. 

1 hour ago, WanYesOnly said:

Where is it that you really want to go? If you weigh the schools well, without panicking and being anxious, where is the best place for you? Reflect on that and then make your decision again. Don't be afraid to let down school 1 if you know you'd be better off at school B. It is better to rescind the offer now while you still have a shot at the other school than to live in regret. 

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if generally schools are able to pull from the waitlist (if they have one) after April 15? Or is everything finalized at that point and post deadline rescind’s screw then over? 

17 hours ago, unwelded said:

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if generally schools are able to pull from the waitlist (if they have one) after April 15? Or is everything finalized at that point and post deadline rescind’s screw then over? 

You should just ask. Especially since COVID-19 has graduate programs questioning how they'll deal with the possibility of new PhD students beginning remotely + university financial issues. The loosey-goosey procedures of last year are likely not on the table right now, so you should ask the programs instead of dithering about it.

21 hours ago, unwelded said:

From what I've seen this year, acceptances are still rolling out even past 15th. Waitlists are tricky this year since many schools are just not taking anyone off the waitlist, perhaps due to funding because of the pandemic. Some people get off waitlists, but again, you just can't tell if you'll get off one or get rejected. It's a crapshoot.