Funding Your Oxford Education

swtster

How are current and prospective students funding their studies/research at Oxford (excluding Clarendon, Rhodes, Fulbright, studentships, and college scholarships)? 

Where are you looking for external sources of funding? 

I'm Canadian and living in the US with a US professional degree. I was looking into the Commonwealth Scholarships, the Centennial Canadian Scholarships, and various other small research grants from organizations affiliated with my profession. Just wanted to get some ideas on where else to look.

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Canadian starting my 1 year MSc in the fall. Haven't had much luck with the University, my college, or 3rd parties. Not sure what I can do at this point though. Any help would be appreciated, especially in light of this pandemic.

14 hours ago, C_Raymond said:

Bump.

Canadian starting my 1 year MSc in the fall. Haven't had much luck with the University, my college, or 3rd parties. Not sure what I can do at this point though. Any help would be appreciated, especially in light of this pandemic.

What are your stats like? Funding is largely GPA based.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 10:53 AM, BTF said:

What are your stats like? Funding is largely GPA based.

So far it seems like I fall in that sweet spot where I can get into competitive programs, but not get too much help after that.

Undergraduate GPA is 4.03/4.30, strong LOR and PS, relatively unique research, did fine on the GRE (162/162/4.5) but Oxford didn't require that anyway. Ended up at Exeter for my college which is a bit of  a shame as they don't have any Canadian specific scholarships. Focusing on OSAP now

3 hours ago, C_Raymond said:

So far it seems like I fall in that sweet spot where I can get into competitive programs, but not get too much help after that.

Undergraduate GPA is 4.03/4.30, strong LOR and PS, relatively unique research, did fine on the GRE (162/162/4.5) but Oxford didn't require that anyway. Ended up at Exeter for my college which is a bit of  a shame as they don't have any Canadian specific scholarships. Focusing on OSAP now

Interesting, any past scholarships or publications?

Thinking of applying for the DPhil in ICSS in a year

The three main sources of income are: (i) teaching, research and residential; (ii) donations and legacies (towards both annual expenditure and endowment); and (iii) investment income, as illustrated in the chart below.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, BTF said:

Interesting, any past scholarships or publications?

Thinking of applying for the DPhil in ICSS in a year

One conference publication. Aside from the funding (which is huge, don't get me wrong) I would highly recommend the OII; outside of BKC I'd be hard pressed to think of a more exciting research hub for new media/policy/computational social science.

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 8:33 AM, C_Raymond said:

Focusing on OSAP now

Ah, OSAP. Never thought I'd hear that again.

I didn't end up applying to Oxford in the end since it didn't make sense personally or financially, but good luck to those who do and congratulations to those who were accepted!