Do I stand a chance? If not, any suggestions would be appreciated!

guy248

Hello everyone,
I am a 28-year-old Canadian who currently holds two degrees: A Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music) and A Bachelor of Arts (History). I've been out of school since 2015, working various full-time and part-time positions while I've done some "soul searching." Recently, I've begun to realize I've always had an interest in Psychology and working as a Therapist/Counselor. Upon this realization, I've been intrigued by two programs:  "Masters of Counselling" at Athabasca University, and "Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology" at Yorkville University. These two are the most exciting options for me because they are entirely online. I currently work two part-time jobs, and online scheduling would give me the flexibility to retain those jobs while I attend classes.

What worries me is that I have no prior history taking Psychology courses. I read the outline at Athabasca, and they do have some undergraduate requirements related to Psych courses, but at Yorkville, that does not appear to be the case (But they do state Psych majors will be favored).  So my question is: Do I have a chance at pursuing this type of degree? Should I bother applying for these MAs knowing, I have no Psych background. 

Here's a small list of things I do have, and that I hope are relevant:  

-Awarded Cum Laude with both my degrees

-Awarded three different Scholarships during my two Undergraduate degrees

-Was accepted to complete an Undergraduate Thesis during my last year

-Worked two years full-time as the Head of Music and Head of History Department in a highly respected Private School

Do I have a chance? If not, could anyone advise me on what I should do to start my pursuit of this goal? I would appreciate any input, especially from people in a similar boat!

I'm curious about how you know that you want to be a clinician if you have no psych background. I don't ask this in any malice. I just know people commonly have misconceptions about the day to day life of a professional therapist (most of my clients don't even know what to expect when first engaging in therapy).

Also, I generally try to dissuade people from pursuing any sort of clinical degree online. While certain fields lend themselves well to online learning, psychology/counseling isn't really one of those. These programs require clinical placements, and it can be difficult to get clinical placements if you have to find them on your own (if you are online, the likelihood the program has connections in your area is lowered). Also, many of the skills you learn in your courses are really about human communication. I understand the draw to online learning, but you don't want a surgeon who did his/her med degree online, do you? There is quite a bit of "hands on" learning that takes place in graduate counseling/psychology education which is difficult to achieve in an online format. I say this as someone in a clinical psych doctorate program who is currently online due to COVID-19. I see a significant difference between our classes at the beginning of the semester and our classes now via Zoom. 

Don't do Yorkville. I have only heard terrible things about it, and it's incredibly expensive.

Personally, I think you need to get a psychology degree and then go on to pursue clinical or counselling the "proper" way. You should definitely take some psychology courses first before deciding that you want to pursue a career in psychology. 

Honestly, probably not a good idea to apply until you've taken the basic psych courses first. Maybe you could take those online from home for now, and find a position somewhere that would give you some clinical exposure in the meantime so you make a more attractive candidate.

Also, online counseling programs tend to be less than top quality. Many people get online degrees and then realize they can't pass the licensure exams, and/or can't find a clinical placement to get the hours in pre-graduation, because all the local places have established relationships with other, face-to-face programs. I would strongly recommend taking the psych classes and prepping for the application process in a year or two, and then find a program you are willing to complete in person.  Just my two cents

Edited by Randi S

If you're interested in therapy/counselling or "talk therapy", you don't necessarily have to be a clinical psychologist. You should also look into social work, counselling programs, etc. These are statistically, much easier to get into than clinical psychology, and will take less time/money to hit your end goal, provide "talk therapy'. I think a good place to start is learning what the different between clinical, counselling, social work, and other similar professions are. And then think if clinical is niche enough that you want to pursue it. Does clinical still stand out among the others? 

Good luck! :) 

To add onto what some other people have said, you may eventually need to take undergraduate psychology courses anyways, so it may be worth your while to take them before committing to a master's. For example, I'm in Alberta and the CPA requires some undergraduate courses to register as a Psychologist. You can take them at the graduate level, but they would be extra to your degree.

Edited by springxsummer

I applied to this program at Athabasca with a bachelor of arts in Anthropology, and an LPN diploma.  I should find out within the next week or so if I got in.  I know of people who got in with a music background.  If you want to talk to other students who've been in the program or have recently applied, join the facebook group "Athabasca University Psychology".  Lots of good info on there.  Don't let your background discourage you.  There are lots who apply and get in without a psychology degree and do just fine. :)