MPH 2021 Canada

Hey guys. Do you guys think the “prestige” of the university makes a big difference? I’m torn between Guelph and “more prestigious” universities, even though I genuinely like the layout of Guelph’s program more. What do you guys think about the MPH at Guelph? Is it well reputed? 

Hi I have applied to the Health Quality PhD program at Queen’s. Haven’t heard back yet!I emailed the department and was told that my application is under cautious review. Anyone knows what could that mean?

Hey guys,

Idk if this is the right place to ask this but maybe someone here will know ... 

If I take an extra year to a semester to upgrade as part of my degree, how is that looked at by universities? (this means I will be graduating in 5.5 to 6 years (total))

Is this an issue? is it better if i graduate then upgrade ? what are you thoughts please let me know

7 minutes ago, bbj said:

Hey guys,

If I take an extra year to a semester to upgrade as part of my degree, how is that looked at by universities? (this means I will be graduating in 5.5 to 6 years (total))

Is this an issue? is it better if i graduate then upgrade ? what are you thoughts please let me know

If you graduate and then upgrade, some schools won't count the courses you take as a non-degree student as part of your final GPA calculation (ie. UofT MPH)

Edited by Excel725

Just now, Excel725 said:

If you graduate and then upgrade, some schools won't count the courses you take as a non-degree student as part of your final GPA calculation (ie. UofT MPH)

so it's better I stay in my degree? 

1 hour ago, moon.ari said:

Hey guys. Do you guys think the “prestige” of the university makes a big difference? I’m torn between Guelph and “more prestigious” universities, even though I genuinely like the layout of Guelph’s program more. What do you guys think about the MPH at Guelph? Is it well reputed? 

I highly doubt this is considered. Many students, including myself, fall into this mindset, at some point, but in my opinion, in the end, what counts is whether you will have the knowledge, experience and connections to secure a good position, following completion of the program. So if you feel that this program will provide you the skills and experiences to pursue a specific job or work environment or other educational goals, go for it. :)  

1 hour ago, moon.ari said:

Just now, SparklersG said:

I highly doubt this is considered. Many students, including myself, fall into this mindset, at some point, but in my opinion, in the end, what counts is whether you will have the knowledge, experience and connections to secure a good position, following completion of the program. So if you feel that this program will provide you the skills and experiences to pursue a specific job or work environment or other educational goals, go for it. :)  

^^^ my exact thoughts as well!

15 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

What is your top choice btw? 

It was UofT Epi but I recently got offered a job which I most likely won't be able to accept if I choose to go for UofT, so I'm considering my other options (Guelph and Brock) right now. Hbu?

Edited by SparklersG

4 minutes ago, SparklersG said:

It was UofT Epi but I recently got offered a job which I most likely won't be able to accept if I choose to go for UofT, so I'm considering my other options (Guelph and Brock) right now. Hbu?

I like UofT and Guelph rn! When do you have to accept your job offer by? 

1 hour ago, Mai86 said:

Hi I have applied to the Health Quality PhD program at Queen’s. Haven’t heard back yet!I emailed the department and was told that my application is under cautious review. Anyone knows what could that mean?

Hey! I don’t think it’s a big deal, I think they mean they’re just reviewing your file (along with a bunch of other people.

3 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

I have a 3.7 GPA in my final two years (at UofT - human bio) and experience in research at UHN for about a year!

Great you have that research experience! Good Luck :) 

2 hours ago, bbj said:

Hey guys,

hey!! :D i personally graduated after about 5 years (took an extra year since i switched programs in the middle of my undergrad degree) and i don’t believe it caused any problems for me application-wise!!

as other comments have said though, it’s possible they might not count your extra year if it’s completed after you graduate, so i’d recommend you double-check with the schools you’re planning on applying to (if you take the extra year only after graduation) just in case!! :) 

20 minutes ago, Gryffindor said:

Are there any updates from Unis like Usask or Lakehead? This wait is both mentally and physically challenging.

No update from Usask. I emailed them last week and they said that mostly offers go out by the end of April. The wait is unbearable tbh. 

4 hours ago, Mai86 said:

I'm in the same boat. I  think it's an automated message and doesn't mean much. I am an annoying person who sent an email mid March as I was getting impatient and on friday and I got the same exact message re: "cautious review". They also said Late March/Early April but we're not in "Early April" anymore so gawdddd knows when they'll get back to us.  

22 minutes ago, Vrunda Bhatt said:

No update from Usask. I emailed them last week and they said that mostly offers go out by the end of April. The wait is unbearable tbh. 

Yea, they said the same. Also I was told be Lakehead when I emailed them that decisions will go out till july but they never even  mentioned when they're gonna start though.