I want to go into SLP but not good at science

Moonlamp

Question

I want to go into the SLP program but I need to do a Post Bacc before I can get in. 
I’m worried for so many reasons and I’m losing sleep over it..

First, I am not a science or math person.

I was never good at science and it is my weak point. I am a Junior in Undergrad right now and I am something like an Educations major because I thought about the teacher route until I found out about SLP. 
I would always avoid the hard science classes during undergrad because I was so afraid to get Cs and Ds or even fail. 

My gpa is not very competitive.. due to personal reasons I couldn’t do well in my freshman and Sophomore year. During my Junior year and Sophomore year, I have gotten 99% As though. by the time I graduate I will have around a 3.3 ~ 3.4 which when I read from so many forums doesn’t seem to be good enough and I will be rejected everywhere I apply. 

I’m terrified because I never did well in science and math and I know that the SLP program is very science heavy and I’m so scared that I won’t pass any of the classes required in the program and even for the post bacc.

I know I have to get a good GPA for post bacc to even pull myself up as a good candidate to be considered but I’m so scared that those science courses will pull me down. 

I want to go into the SLP program but I’m so torn and stressed even thinking about it...

My parents and their friends in SLP tell me that the studying is manageable and it isn’t that hard but I think they’re just very smart people and it stresses me even more.

I’m stressing over the GRE too because I’m not that smart and although I will study and try hard, I don’t know if I can get a good score that fits the program standards.

I live in LA and I don’t want to go out-of-state because not only can I not pay for it, I don’t want to go that far away and I want to stay near home..

I do want to do SLP... 

Can I get some advice?

Edited by Moonlamp

1 answer to this question

I think you’ll be fine. I did biology in undergrad and finally switched out after 4yrs because I was horrible at it. I did pull my GPA up to a 3.0 by changing majors. I did a post bacc for my speech prerequisites and got into 4 grad schools with a 3.4 , average GRE scores and  relevant work experience. I’ll be starting my masters in the fall. The post bacc classes weren’t too science or math based. If being a SLP is something you really want to do you can totally do it. What I’ve learned is that this process can be intimidating but you have to believe in yourself!

location: I know LA is difficult to get into. I was waitlisted at a school and shocked. There are a lot of schools that aren’t very expensive even for out of state tuition but I know you want to stay close to family. You can also apply to online programs to make sure you stay close.