Best Bulletin Boards for Speech-Pathology Students

I hope I'm not making a huge mistake by posting here, but we are beginning our search to try to find assistance over the summer for our daughter, who is an AAC-user (she uses a PRC Accent 1400 eyegaze system with Unity).  She usually goes to camp in the summertime but because of conditions this year, we are looking for a student to pay a weekly salary to spend time with her in our home, potentially from June until September and perhaps afterward.  You can look on this as babysitting, or as an intense practicum in AAC and assisted communication.  We live in Washington DC.    Perhaps you can steer us toward some resources for hunting suitable candidates?  Thanks.

Reddit has an SLP and SLP Grad School sub forum. You could post there and see who is in the area and is interested. However, for best results I would suggest checking your local universities. If they have an SLP grad or undergrad major (it might be called Communication Sciences and Disorders) then contact someone in the department and they can recommend students who might be interested.

4 hours ago, paprikash said:

I hope I'm not making a huge mistake by posting here, but we are beginning our search to try to find assistance over the summer for our daughter, who is an AAC-user (she uses a PRC Accent 1400 eyegaze system with Unity).  She usually goes to camp in the summertime but because of conditions this year, we are looking for a student to pay a weekly salary to spend time with her in our home, potentially from June until September and perhaps afterward.  You can look on this as babysitting, or as an intense practicum in AAC and assisted communication.  We live in Washington DC.    Perhaps you can steer us toward some resources for hunting suitable candidates?  Thanks.

Hi there i'm in a grad program in Maryland i'd be happy to pass along your message to the girls in my cohort! Private message me a job description and contact info and i'm happy to help :)

I also recommend contacting local universities. My professors and clinic supervisors passed along a lot of child care opportunities to students this school year, and even some for the summer. On university websites, the slp/csd/comd faculty members often list their specialty areas. If possible, I recommend contacting a clinical supervisor who specialized in child language or AAC. I'm nowhere near the East Coast, otherwise I'd offer to pass your information along. 

Also, don't forget about Facebook childcare groups! That's how I found a few jobs in my area. You could specify that you're looking for an slp student. 

Lastly, consider including special educators/paraprofessionals in your search. I gained the most experience using AAC while working as a para between undergrad and grad school. 

Good luck!