Can I get in anywhere with these low GRE scores?

Hey all... so my most recent GRE scores were 148 verbal, 135 quant, and 4.0 for Analytical Writing portion. Basically I'm trying to find out if these scores will get me in anywhere? I do have experience in the field (4 years as an SLPA in two different settings) and my undergrad GPA plus the last 60 credit hours(CSD/major courses) are well over 3.7 so my grades/experience aren't an issue. I simply don't do well with standardized tests (especially math) and I'm also tired of letting my GRE scores keep me from applying because I don't believe they are competitive enough. I know my math score is absolutely terrible as well. I was planning on retaking the GRE to allow myself options but due to the pandemic/quarantine situation all testing centers are closed and I cannot even schedule an exam even 4 months from now. To be honest it is also exhausting being rejected from programs. Is it unheard of to be accepted with scores like this?

CSDCAS does not calculate your last 60 credit hours GPA to my knowledge. So graduate schools will only see your cumulative GPA from the time you apply as well as your major GPA. Unless some schools calculator last 60 credits on their own I just did not see that on the GPA chart on CSDCAS and the schools I applied to looked at overall+major GPA not last 60 credits. Your writing and verbal scores are pretty good it looks like quant just brought you down. I think if your overall+major GPAs are strong+strong and relevant extracurriculars you'll be okay. I would definitely retake the GRE again when you can. My testing center is allowing the GRE to be done at home but it's via a webcam I don't know much about that though. I recommend Magoosh! It brought my score up by 4 points and if you get the premium subscription and have already taken the GRE once before and don't get a 5 score increase they give you your money back! 

I've heard people get in with similar GRE scores as you so don't get discouraged! It helps to apply for less competitive schools and go out of state if you can. A weak GRE can balance out with a strong GPA.

Edited by futurespeechpath1

Hi

It is possible! I am also terrible at standardized tests,  I got a 145 in verbal, 139 in Quant and a 3.5 writing score. I got into 3 schools, 1 wait-list and 2 rejections. I was honestly very worried about my scores but I got into my top school! Also, schools look more at your verbal & writing so with those scores you should be fine. Best of luck!

I've heard from my professors that many schools do not look as hard at the quantitative portion as they do the verbal & writing - but take that with a grain of salt! I know a few fellow classmates who were able to get into a graduate program with scores similar to yours. I still would advise taking it again as this is a very competitive field and it is always better to be safe than sorry. However, I think you would still have a strong application regarding your experiences/GPA. Ultimately, it boils down to what you will be the most comfortable with.

You should look into taking the GRE at home due to the COVID-19 crisis. I'll link the official ETS website below for more information. That may help ease your test anxiety. Best of luck! You got this. 

ETS: Take the GRE Remotely

Hi! I received a 148 (Q), 146 (V), and a 5 on writing. I took the GRE shooting for a 300 combined so when I got a 294 I was (surprisingly?) happy with my scores. The test is hard, long, and feels impossible. With that said, I would still 10000% apply to grad schools with the scores you have now! The only score that I would even be a little concerned about if I were you is your Q score, but I have heard time and time again that 1.) the GRE is ONLY a small part of your entire application and 2.) the quantitative part is an even smaller part of that already small part of your application. You have a strong writing score and your verbal score is not bad at all, higher than mine by 2 points and I got in the first round! It also sounds to me like you have a strong application otherwise. My advice is to do your research on ASHA edfind. There, you can calculate acceptance rates and even look at average GRE/GPA scores of previous years classes. By doing this, I think you'll be able to create a list of schools that you feel you have a higher chance of getting into. Honestly, I think you'll be fine! Best of luck!