Rankings v. Name?

Hello, all. I've been out of my MPH program a few years now and will be applying for doctoral degrees (both DrPH and PhD), looking to start fall 2021. I'm creating my list and wondering, for those who have done this before, is rank more important than name? Like, yes, BU is 8, but if I get into Brown (17) or Yale (15) or Penn (23) is an Ivy better because it's an Ivy? Obviously this is making a shitton of assumptions about getting in, but... Do any of you have any insights? 

Thank you and happy social distancing! 

In short, no. The one with the best department and connections were you want to get to is the best program for you. They all have specialties based on the research they're doing and the faculty themselves. Your decision should be based on that.

• 6 months later...

It depends on what you want to do.

Health policy/activism you want to base it off the name especially if you plan to go into politics. Yale and Harvard will melt politicans in the room.

For research however, go by professors you are akin to within your research field. Don't force a program which doesn't fit because you will spending much time in labs and in the field working on a long-term project.