Uncertainty thread - International students not in the US

Guys, I have a question regarding DS-160. I have deferred my admission to Spring 2021. My current DS-160 which I created fro Fall 2020 has 10th August 2020 as an intended to entry to USA. Now, do I have cancel that DS-160 and create a brand new one? My fear is, if I do that, I have to cancel my current appointment on 18th September, and in the process may not be able to book another one very soon as all the US consulates in Canada are booked till November. TIA!!!

Edited by niazche

2 hours ago, niazche said:

Guys, I have a question regarding DS-160. I have deferred my admission to Spring 2021. My current DS-160 which I created fro Fall 2020 has 10th August 2020 as an intended to entry to USA. Now, do I have cancel that DS-160 and create a brand new one? My fear is, if I do that, I have to cancel my current appointment on 18th September, and in the process may not be able to book another one very soon as all the US consulates in Canada are booked till November. TIA!!!

No u don’t have to. U fill in a new DS 160. And then use the update profile function on the left hand size    

30 minutes ago, needanoffersobad said:

No u don’t have to. U fill in a new DS 160. And then use the update profile function on the left hand size    

It's not allowing me to change the DS-160 number! It is saying, if I have to change any application information except passport number, I have to cancel the appointment first and then I will be able to edit all the application information including DS-160 number

Edited by niazche

The US consulate in Paris told me that:
"At this time, in accordance with the Presidential Proclamations, travel to the United States from the Schengen Zone has been suspended for most visa holders, including F-1 visa holders."

Which seems to me that even if I manage to get a Visa (which is not a given since my appointment was moved to August 28th), I won't be able to enter the country. Am I misunderstanding this? I'm confused between 1) inability to get visa, 2) Trump's entry bans for visa holders.

32 minutes ago, Clintarius said:

The US consulate in Paris told me that:
"At this time, in accordance with the Presidential Proclamations, travel to the United States from the Schengen Zone has been suspended for most visa holders, including F-1 visa holders."

Which seems to me that even if I manage to get a Visa (which is not a given since my appointment was moved to August 28th), I won't be able to enter the country. Am I misunderstanding this? I'm confused between 1) inability to get visa, 2) Trump's entry bans for visa holders.

To my understanding, as Mr. Trump has suspended entry from Schengen zone, even if you are eligible for visa, US Consulate in Paris may choose not accept an interview appointment at this time. I had my visa interview initially on July 20 in Toronto, which got cancelled. I booked another one immediately on September 18 and then deferred my admission to Spring. Yesterday again, just out of fear thinking situation may not improve in September, I re-scheduled my appointment in early November. I am kind of in a middle of a storm! Are you planning to defer your admission to Spring?

It's pretty inconvenient for me to defer to Spring because some key courses have a first half in the fall and a second half in the spring. So I'm hoping to start this fall (if the department accommodates online coursework well), and if I can't I'll likely differ to fall 2021.

11 minutes ago, Clintarius said:

It's pretty inconvenient for me to defer to Spring because some key courses have a first half in the fall and a second half in the spring. So I'm hoping to start this fall (if the department accommodates online coursework well), and if I can't I'll likely differ to fall 2021.

Yea, Columbia doesn't like for the grad students to start in Spring. At least that is my sense in speaking with people from across the GSAS.

Language courses, professional development courses, not to mention the seminar and summer programs off-campus are almost all laid out based on a September start, it seems.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:15 PM, needanoffersobad said:

no. I am applying from Hong Kong, where no new cases for more than 2 weeks. I am not sure they will open country by country or all together

I am applying F1 visa in HK as well. My 7/9 appointment got cancelled and rescheduled in 8/4, hope they will resume routine visa service at least in August....

2 hours ago, niazche said:

Have you guys saw the recent tweet by Donald Trump on school opening in fall? Some ray of hope!

In fact those are bad news. The tweet is a campaign movement in Trump's intention on denial covid and shift agenda to immigration. Now there is a change in the F1 regulation for virtual schools. Even though I'm not in the US at this moment, and my school has announced next semester will be in person, and I'm waiting for a visa interview, I take this new movement personal. 

My school has told me many times: you are welcome here, but the department of state makes me feel just the opposite. The whole process of getting a visa is just about being treated as a criminal for wanting to go to grad school and prove that you are not going to steal the job of American born. I have burned a lot of money in doing so.

With new restrictions in the coming days, like puting an end date for F1 status and more restrictions on OPT program, and the real possibility of Trump's relection, the US seems a bad place for being a student.

Now I'm facing with the reality: there are better places in the world for being an international student, where you can feel respected and treated like a human being.

Edited by Dave Minchang
Grammar

2 hours ago, Dave Minchang said:

My school has told me many times: you are welcome here, but the department of state makes me feel just the opposite. The whole process of getting a visa is just about being treated as a criminal for wanting to go to grad school and prove that you are not going to steal the job of American born. I have burned a lot of money in doing so.

With new restrictions in the coming days, like puting an end date for F1 status and more restrictions on OPT program, and the real possibility of Trump's relection, the US seems a bad place for being a student.

Now I'm facing with the reality: there are better places in the world for being an international student, where you can feel respected and treated like a human being.

Well said. I feel sick.

2 hours ago, Dave Minchang said:

In fact those are bad news. The tweet is a campaign movement in Trump's intention on denial covid and shift agenda to immigration. Now there is a change in the F1 regulation for virtual schools. Even though I'm not in the US at this moment, and my school has announced next semester will be in person, and I'm waiting for a visa interview, I take this new movement personal. 

Let's keep it simple instead analyzing the situation from political point of view! I am not an american, neither do I hold any interest in american politics. My sole interest regarding US is to attend my PhD program and finish it successfully! I do hope, we all get our visa on time to attend grad school, cheers!

15 minutes ago, niazche said:

Let's keep it simple instead analyzing the situation from political point of view! I am not an american, neither do I hold any interest in american politics. My sole interest regarding US is to attend my PhD program and finish it successfully! I do hope, we all get our visa on time to attend grad school, cheers!

I'm sick of being told to keep politics away. At the moment we have to go to an embassy to ask for a visa everything are politics. The last movement of SEVIS is hostile. It creates much more uncertainty on international students. We have no certainty that even if we made it to study in the US rules won't change in a detrimental way. I think we are smart people; choosing a place for going to grad school is not only about academics, and looking on local policies for international students should be one important aspect to take into account.

Edited by Dave Minchang
Grammar

This thread was originally created in the political science sub-forum, so I fear that keeping politics away will prove challenging! (And is not something to wish for in my opinion, given how virus developments and travel restrictions in the US have clearly been the consequences of political choices).

With the new F-1 restrictions, it looks like things can work out if schools choose a hybrid system, but things are very bad (and deferral is likely required) if they choose a fully online system.

• What have your schools decided?
  • Are you and/or other incoming or current students organizing in any way to pressure them into finding a solution?

Even though my school (UChicago) is currently employing a hybrid model, they could go online at any point, jeopardizing a lot of its students. Has anyone had any success pushing their university to file a petition against ICE’s regulations- like Harvard and MIT are? I feel like UChicago’s silence on this matter is despicable. 

1 hour ago, rblume_277 said:

Even though my school (UChicago) is currently employing a hybrid model, they could go online at any point, jeopardizing a lot of its students. Has anyone had any success pushing their university to file a petition against ICE’s regulations- like Harvard and MIT are? I feel like UChicago’s silence on this matter is despicable. 

Loads of schools are getting on board, resisting and denouncing the move. See this thread (up and down) for a comprehensive and updated list:

Also: my local consulate has had this info posted next to the instructions regarding emergency appointment requests since earlier this week. "The first available date would be 7/14/2020."

Meanwhile, the first available regular appointment was October 7th. So it seems like they recognize the need for earlier interviews, at least for students' cases. This is encouraging.

Edited by time_consume_me
added info about dates for interviews

On 7/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, time_consume_me said:

Also: my local consulate has had this info posted next to the instructions regarding emergency appointment requests since earlier this week. "The first available date would be 7/14/2020."

Meanwhile, the first available regular appointment was October 7th. So it seems like they recognize the need for earlier interviews, at least for students' cases. This is encouraging.

That's a fantastic news. May I know which embassy is that? My first appointment at Toronto US consulate got cancelled. Deferred my admission and now my interview will be on 16th October. I hope it won't get cancelled this time.

1 minute ago, niazche said:

That's a fantastic news. May I know which embassy is that? My first appointment at Toronto US consulate got cancelled. Deferred my admission and now my interview will be on 16th October. I hope it won't get cancelled this time.

Osaka, Japan

On 7/11/2020 at 3:51 AM, niazche said:

For Jamaica too!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/US_Embassy_resumes_processing_student_visas_July_20

Also, seems like there might be more embassies resuming services from 15 july... 

Edited by mablid