Grad Schools/Programs that will really struggle in the future

GradSchoolGrad

I am curious on what people think are grad schools/programs that will really struggle going into the future with so much change going on in the higher education world. 

Any thoughts?

Mine is that I think the Fletcher School @ Tufts University is going to have a hard time compared its peers going forward.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Rugbyplayer said:

What a lonely future it would be to miss the human touch, hugging and talking to the best looking female students.

UCLA is just as pretty as the women.  

I think that if you were to spend time getting to know the culture of this BB a bit more you'd understand that these kinds of comments are not appropriate here.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:13 AM, Don't ask said:

Why fletcher specifically?

The perfect storm seems to work against the school's economics:

1. Feel fall of international students

2. Narrow (albeit great) job market appeal

3. Declining viability of international development in a less globalized world

4. Location is less than attractive (Somerville, not Boston)

5. High tuition

6. Not so interdisciplinary

Its brand will probably keep it from dying off, but the struggles look ominous. 

On 7/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rugbyplayer said:

There is no need to travel by car to UCLA. Just a waste of time and no parking. You park in a big lot, miles away and take a bus. I rode a Honda scrambler to class. 

Sound stupid but why go to the first two years anywhere. You can watch any class on the net. I spent some time listening to an Intro class from Stanford. Didn't agree with the guy. In fact is was dead wrong on several points and yet everyone is writing notes.  He can teach the subJect but he can not call himself a Psychologist unless he meets criteria and takes the state exam.  On the other hand to the west is a large cemetery. Doubt it will be moved. Both properties are worth billions. 

What a lonely future it would be to miss the human touch, hugging and talking to the best looking female students.

Community college makes sense. Two years living at home, get B+ and transfer to any school.  I walked by Santa Monica CC and there was a post from Creighton University stating if you completed basic sciences class, and had a AA- 60 unites, you could apply directly to  medical school.There is a mound of data to say this works. Set your pride aside. The CC have honors programs in CA. Less ego from staff. the way to go. No student loans either. I have two sons, both could not set ego aside and went to a UC school directly. I am paying the debt on one student loan.

Both kids were programed by a very active High school counselor.  UCLA is just as pretty as the women.  The north campus has a large sculpture garden and a Research library is second to none. A great University with I am afraid little future. 

School is more than about grades on a transcript. I think you cast too narrow a scope.

This might be tangentially related to your question. I’m not sure which specific ones, but I know someone who works in consulting for higher education, and they basically said that a lot of colleges are not going to survive and be able to operate after the pandemic...(but I am pretty sure they implied that major universities will survive...I think they just meant small colleges that didn’t have a lot of “business” in the first place.) 

Edited by fossati

23 minutes ago, fossati said:

This might be tangentially related to your question. I’m not sure which specific ones, but I know someone who works in consulting for higher education, and they basically said that a lot of colleges are not going to survive and be able to operate after the pandemic...(but I am pretty sure they implied that major universities will survive...I think they just meant small colleges that didn’t have a lot of “business” in the first place.) 

That's very similar to what I've heard as well. Many of those smaller colleges already have enough of a problem keeping the lights on and paying out faculty/staff salaries and benefits.

I see some universities further reducing their humanities graduate programs and, in some cases, eliminating or consolidating them.

• 9 months later...