Georgetown (McCourt) MPP 2021

2 hours ago, GradProsMPP said:

CORRECTION: It was someone who applied early action. I suppose regular action decisions aren't out just yet. 

Are MPP results out? 

Here is a tweet acknowledged by the McCourt school which leads me to this question. Has anybody else received any news?was 

For those considering McCourt vs. other options, one highly visible way to help with your considerations is to cross check the twitter/Facebook posts for those who announced their admissions with LinkedIn. Granted it will only be a small sample, key things to look out for are:

a. how many years of work experience do they have (average for top policy schools, it is roughly 3.5 years)

b. Is their LinkedIn professional looking in the first place 

c. What people announce they are going to grad school for (gives you an idea of the policy interests that are trending and how diverse they are - or not so diverse).

Keep in mind that since this is a highly competitive admissions year, if years of work experience isn't near or above the average, that should be concerning. This is especially so as the next application season is expected to be much less competitive and the average applicant competitiveness should go down. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

46 minutes ago, excxn said:

Has anyone tried negotiating funding or know when/how to go about doing that?

You basically email admissions and ask kindly.

It helps if you paint the picture of what other competing offers you have from other schools.

At the end of the day, it depends on how competitive you are.

Schools only offer scholarship for:

A. Merit (Academic/Professional priors)

B. Diversity (everything from identity to policy areas)

If you aren't a gain in either categories for any policy school, they won't give you more funding (except in the rare occasions when they had trouble putting together a class, but given how competitive this year is - the is likely not an issue). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

23 minutes ago, excxn said:

Has anyone tried negotiating funding or know when/how to go about doing that?

In a call with an admissions rep I was told that they no longer negotiate based on offers from other schools; however, I could email them if I had any updated relevant experience or awards and my aid could be reconsidered based on merit. 

16 minutes ago, aspiringmpp said:

In a call with an admissions rep I was told that they no longer negotiate based on offers from other schools; however, I could email them if I had any updated relevant experience or awards and my aid could be reconsidered based on merit. 

So as much as they "no longer negotiate based on offers from other school", it always doesn't hurt if you put it on (tactfully).

Think about it, if you got a full ride from Harris or HKS - the will be super impressive and have a psychological effect on the admissions rep because it validates you as competitive. I knew people who were stuck with McCourt due to personal relationship developments post-application (serious relationship and etc.) 

1 hour ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

You basically email admissions and ask kindly.

It helps if you paint the picture of what other competing offers you have from other schools.

At the end of the day, it depends on how competitive you are.

Schools only offer scholarship for:

A. Merit (Academic/Professional priors)

B. Diversity (everything from identity to policy areas)

If you aren't a gain in either categories for any policy school, they won't give you more funding (except in the rare occasions when they had trouble putting together a class, but given how competitive this year is - the is likely not an issue). 

1 hour ago, aspiringmpp said:

Thanks to the both of you for your responses! That sounds pretty simple. Is it best to do it soon or wait until they've sent out most of their decisions? I was waiting to hear back from GW anyway to see if the funding might help with negotiating, but it sounds like that may not be helpful anymore.

I'm surprised they aren't doing negotiating based on other offers considering how expensive they are. Was kind of banking on using slightly higher aid from Harris to negotiate, although it's probably not a big enough jump to make a difference (however I think it should because it's a better school and in a less expensive city, but I digress..).

2 minutes ago, excxn said:

Thanks to the both of you for your responses! That sounds pretty simple. Is it best to do it soon or wait until they've sent out most of their decisions? I was waiting to hear back from GW anyway to see if the funding might help with negotiating, but it sounds like that may not be helpful anymore.

I'm surprised they aren't doing negotiating based on other offers considering how expensive they are. Was kind of banking on using slightly higher aid from Harris to negotiate, although it's probably not a big enough jump to make a difference (however I think it should because it's a better school and in a less expensive city, but I digress..).

Do it now. The sooner you do it, the more it shows that you care. Intent and effort goes a long way. That being said, as I am assuming you read in my previous posts, McCourt MPP is rather unique with lots interesting pros and cons. I hope you know what you are asking for by coming to this school. 

52 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Do it now. The sooner you do it, the more it shows that you care. Intent and effort goes a long way. That being said, as I am assuming you read in my previous posts, McCourt MPP is rather unique with lots interesting pros and cons. I hope you know what you are asking for by coming to this school. 

Okay good to know, thanks! Yes, I have seen your posts, they've been very helpful. Financially (and for personal reasons), staying in DC and doing grad school part time while remaining in my full time job is looking like the best option for me, which obviously limits my options. I think Georgetown is the best of those options because I hope to continue doing data heavy policy work in the future, and of course I'm hoping the Georgetown "brand" and network will be at least a little helpful in the future too. That being said, if GW offers substantially more funding I would definitely reconsider. 

10 minutes ago, excxn said:

Okay good to know, thanks! Yes, I have seen your posts, they've been very helpful. Financially (and for personal reasons), staying in DC and doing grad school part time while remaining in my full time job is looking like the best option for me, which obviously limits my options. I think Georgetown is the best of those options because I hope to continue doing data heavy policy work in the future, and of course I'm hoping the Georgetown "brand" and network will be at least a little helpful in the future too. That being said, if GW offers substantially more funding I would definitely reconsider. 

You should have highlighted part time from the get go. McCourt MPP (based off of the part-timers I knew and their qualifications) is less keen on giving part-timers scholarships. General concept is that part-timers don't really help out with student life + activities that help out the school's branding is that. Also, part-timers are seen as cash cows generally in grad programs to help reach their profit goals. 

8 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

You should have highlighted part time from the get go. McCourt MPP (based off of the part-timers I knew and their qualifications) is less keen on giving part-timers scholarships. General concept is that part-timers don't really help out with student life + activities that help out the school's branding is that. Also, part-timers are seen as cash cows generally in grad programs to help reach their profit goals. 

Yeah I was wondering if that might be the case. Kind of surprised that they gave me as much as they did, then. Guess it can't hurt to try, but I won't get my hopes up. Thanks for the insight!

6 minutes ago, excxn said:

Yeah I was wondering if that might be the case. Kind of surprised that they gave me as much as they did, then. Guess it can't hurt to try, but I won't get my hopes up. Thanks for the insight!

I mean, I don't know how competitive you are, but you feel like you got more money than comparable full timers with your stats + background you see in the forum for other schools, that could be a warning sign the McCourt MPP didn't have the great of an application cycle - which would be concerning since this has been a hyper competitive year for most grad programs. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Has anybody heard back yet? Saw an acceptance on the Results page on March 1 but radio silence since. I believe results were declared on this date last year. Do you guys reckon there may be a delay this time around given potentially higher number of applicants? 

23 minutes ago, GradProsMPP said:

Has anybody heard back yet? Saw an acceptance on the Results page on March 1 but radio silence since. I believe results were declared on this date last year. Do you guys reckon there may be a delay this time around given potentially higher number of applicants? 

Not saying I know for sure or based off of precedent in this particular case. However, usually grad programs know the stack of definitely admit and definitely reject first. Its the middle of maybes that gets resolved last. 

Hmm, that's a fair point. So you are suggesting that a bunch of admits and rejects have already been sent out? Though it's just that one post on the page. I've spoken to a number of applicants who still haven't heard back. McCourt's website also states that applicants should hear back by March 15, 2021. Is this something they have put for every year? 

Just now, GradProsMPP said:

Hmm, that's a fair point. So you are suggesting that a bunch of admits and rejects have already been sent out? Though it's just that one post on the page. I've spoken to a number of applicants who still haven't heard back. McCourt's website also states that applicants should hear back by March 15, 2021. Is this something they have put for every year? 

I am not suggesting anything other than that, I would not be surprised if there was some lag for the middle group when they send out results (don't know if that have already or not). 

4 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I am not suggesting anything other than that, I would not be surprised if there was some lag for the middle group when they send out results (don't know if that have already or not). 

Hmm. That's fair. Thanks for your inputs! 

Just received an email to check the portal as well. Waitlisted. Does anyone know the odds of getting in through the Priority Waitlist?

Please, please, if anyone admitted is considering not enrolling at the MPP program it would be greatly appreciated

4 minutes ago, broncuffaloes said:

Just received an email to check the portal as well. Waitlisted. Does anyone know the odds of getting in through the Priority Waitlist?

Please, please, if anyone admitted is considering not enrolling at the MPP program it would be greatly appreciated

I'm pretty certain I will not be enrolling!

1 minute ago, qwertympp said:

I also just got my admission and offer. Mine only offers aid for the first year. Is that the case for others? Also what is the percentage equivalent of each number of dollar signs?

I think each $ is 25%? Not sure tho lol. I received 27k per year.

17 minutes ago, MPP2021app said:

I'm pretty certain I will not be enrolling!

I think each $ is 25%? Not sure tho lol. I received 27k per year.

wow 27K (without negotiating) per year is a bad sign that they are truly desperate for bodies. Which is compounded by how this is high application year for grad schools. They used to have their highest pre negotiation (non-specialized scholarship - like McCourt scholar) at $20K. 

16 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

wow 27K (without negotiating) per year is a bad sign that they are truly desperate for bodies. Which is compounded by how this is high application year for grad schools. They used to have their highest pre negotiation (non-specialized scholarship - like McCourt scholar) at $20K. 

Ii  think this is a broad generalization - I got in during the early deadline and they said it was the most competitive year with about a 25% admittance rate. Not sure whats going on with money, but I received 10k/year for the EP and will definitely work to negotiate! 

Edited by herewegoah

Does anyone know how negotiation works? I got 18k/year but I've got a couple new publications coming out soon and I'm hoping to negotiate up a little. I don't want to accidentally come across as super rude.