Georgetown (McCourt) MPP 2021

On 3/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

I agree it definite can't hurt to call.

However, it totally makes sense for 2nd year funding bump since McCourt (as a school) loses students between end of 1st year and graduation (my year I think the count was around 3 or 4). Supposedly the main driver is funding. Ability to graduate is another. I would be surprised if they pitch it to incoming students since McCourt is by comparison already more generous with funding than others schools this year by all indications regarding application bump this year vs. other schools from COVID. 

Has anyone heard any additional information about this? I contacted the grad financial aid department in regards to a scholarship increase and they told me to contact Julie Ito. I am still awaiting for a response to my email. 

Edited by chinesejulie

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 2:06 AM, chinesejulie said:

Has anyone heard any additional information about this? I contacted the grad financial aid department in regards to a scholarship increase and they told me to contact Julie Ito. I am still awaiting for a response to my email. 

I just got notified that my account had been updated and it was my aid! Assuming they will be trickling in but hopefully some of you got some updates as well!

Some great stuff here, thanks!

Specific question:

I was accepted to both American University SPA and Georgetown McCourt for an MPP (also accepted at GW Trachtenberg but not considering it - no merit aid). Taking into account tuition and merit based aid the costs are similar. (McCourt is $$$ and merit aid is 50%, American is $$ with merit just ok). Can some people help with pros/cons as I make the final decision?

Anyone else making the same decision? What's going through your mind?

Edited by TransitionToMPP

20 hours ago, excxn said:

I just got notified that my account had been updated and it was my aid! Assuming they will be trickling in but hopefully some of you got some updates as well!

Same here! I got an extra bump of $3k for the fall semester (presumably renewable the following fall). 

Hi guys, not very knowledgable UK successful applicant here. Do you mind if I ask a few Qs?

- How much are tuition fees and living costs?

- I have been award $9k for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. What happens after then... no more money? 

Any other general things I should know? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, ConnorA said:

Hi guys, not very knowledgable UK successful applicant here. Do you mind if I ask a few Qs?

- How much are tuition fees and living costs?

- I have been award $9k for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. What happens after then... no more money? 

Any other general things I should know? Thanks!

You can find information about tuition fees and cost of living here: https://mccourt.georgetown.edu/new-students/tuition-financial-aid-and-scholarships/.

As for the second question, from earlier in this thread, can confirm this answer:

On 1/13/2021 at 6:10 PM, KRS2021 said:

Same on my end - it's my understanding the funding is renewable as long as you maintain good academic standing (3.0+).

On 3/12/2021 at 6:11 PM, van_96 said:

In case this is helpful to anyone, I tried to leverage my Duke offer to ask for more funding, and received a response that essentially stated they only negotiate merit aid if there are new professional or academic achievements. They added that they've increased their initial offers to compensate for this new system, which explains why so many of us got 27k, an amount that, as @GradSchoolGrad pointed out, they never have before. 

Is 27k enough to pay for all tuition costs do you think?

2 minutes ago, ConnorA said:

Is 27k enough to pay for all tuition costs do you think?

The costs vary by program. The link I included has all the information you need to calculate what the cost of your tuition will be. 

1 minute ago, van_96 said:

The costs vary by program. The link I included has all the information you need to calculate what the cost of your tuition will be. 

Thank you I really appreciate it!

Also - does anyone fancy making a WhatsApp/Facebook group for McCourt MPP people?

4 hours ago, TransitionToMPP said:

Some great stuff here, thanks!

Specific question:

I was accepted to both American University SPA and Georgetown McCourt for an MPP (also accepted at GW Trachtenberg but not considering it - no merit aid). Taking into account tuition and merit based aid the costs are similar. (McCourt is $$$ and merit aid is 50%, American is $$ with merit just ok). Can some people help with pros/cons as I make the final decision?

Anyone else making the same decision? What's going through your mind?

I'm in the exact same boat.  Accepted to American (50% merit aid), Georgetown (50% merit aid), George Washington (no merit aid), and George Mason ($5K first year only, in-state tuition).  

I'm having a tough time with the decision.  I plan on doing the part-time program and likely staying in my current employment after completion of the program, for at least the near future.  I'm not as concerned about employment prospects, but more so looking for a curriculum that matches what I am interested, and, of course, a price point that makes sense.  Will probably be going right up to the deadline with this decision...

On 4/8/2021 at 4:15 AM, excxn said:

15 hours ago, aspiringmpp said:

Same here! I got an extra bump of $3k for the fall semester (presumably renewable the following fall). 

Congratulations to the both of you! How long did it take before you guys heard back from McCourt?/ 

19 hours ago, ConnorA said:

So in the U.K. we have three terms.

I have been offered $X for Fall21 and $X for Spring22. So funding for only two terms. Does that mean I don’t get any money for my third term in Summer22? 

Hi! I'm also a UK Student who has been admitted to McCourt for the MPP

From what I can tell they have two terms in the US, but they're longer than ours (I'm assuming you did your undergrad here), so the funding is for each term

I also emailed admissions and they confirmed that the amount is renewable in the second year if I maintain at least a 3.0 GPA

Hope this helps :)